• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Rainforest place top 10 selling CPU’s are all AMD. The 7800X3D is #1

26 out of the top 30 selling CPU’s are AMD.

Last edited:
Soldato
OzoA5if.png

AMD catching up on steam hardware survey!

Caporegime
Someone asked me about Process Lasso on overclock.net and I explained why I don't use it with my 7950X3D because it's unnecessary and hinders more than it helps.

I'm reposting here because this is useful information for newcomers to the dual CCD X3D parts such as the 7900X3D/7950X3D. This is all you need to do during first time setup after installing the CPU and reinstalling Windows (this step is important, so do it!).
  1. Verify that the CPPC option in the bios is set to Auto. It is by default.
  2. Use the latest Chipset driver from the AMD website.
  3. Use the Windows Balanced power profile.
  4. Verify that the Windows Store App - Game Bar is up to date (updated via Windows Store) and not disabled. It is enabled by default, so you have to go out of your way to disable it.
Game Bar will decide which application uses the cache or frequency CCD primarily, without typically requiring any input from you circumventing the need for Process Lasso in 99% of situations. Game Bar is updated usually once a week (or more) with new updates, so check periodically.

Default behaviour is as follows for games/apps:
  1. Launch app/game
  2. Game Bar will check if the app/game is on the pre-defined whitelist for which app/game prefers which CCD.
  3. If the launched app/game is found in the whitelist, the preferred CCD will be used. Typically cache for most (but not all) games. Typically frequency CCD for Windows and app usage.
  4. If the launched app/game is not found in the whitelist, the frequency CCD will be used by default.
  5. If you would like to override the default behaviour for 4), launch the app/game, press Win Key + G and Game Bar will appear, tick the option that says 'Remember this is a game'.
  6. Relaunch the app/game, the cache CCD will now be used. This is handy if a new game is released and Game Bar has not been updated and so the game is using the frequency CCD.
  7. Keep in mind that regardless of which CCD is chosen, if CPU utilisation becomes high enough one or more cores may become active with work on the secondary CCD. This is normal and it is beneficial to performance. So you don't need to start using Process Lasso to force over utilised cores onto one CCD which ends up hurting performance more than it helps.
Note: Using the Windows High Performance Profile will tell the app/game to use any core it can get its hands on, so no CCD will be preferred and Windows scheduler will use whatever cores it likes. This is usually detrimental to performance, however in very rare scenarios such as Metro Last Light it can resolve stuttering. Metro Last Light is a game that stopped receiving updates long before 7950X3D was released and it is one of the few games available that behaves poorly with the 7950X3D when using the Windows Balanced Power profile.

Note 2: When I used Process Lasso I found that the manual assignment of app and windows services to certain CCDs messed up my OS and damaged the game bar functionality. Things didn't work as they once did, so I would suggest an OS reinstall if you've used Process lasso to try and micro manage the 7950X3D.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s worth this info being brought to the forefront now and again. As well as other 7xx0 behaviour and temps. The concept that a CPU is faulty and should even contemplate a refund because it idles at 50ish C is due to a lack of research.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally upgrading,

Can someone just confirm this will all work together fine by default, no mucking around with settings?

7800X3D​

MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK​

CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MHz CL30 AMD EXPO iCUE Compatible​

My current GPU is an RTX 3080 10GB

?
Just make sure you enable expo to get the ram running at it's rated speed.

Man of Honour
Someone asked me about Process Lasso on overclock.net and I explained why I don't use it with my 7950X3D because it's unnecessary and hinders more than it helps.

The 7950X3D can still in edge cases require that kind of manual tuning though - something I found a bit weird with the Ryzen Z1 Extreme actually which has 4x Zen4 and 4x Zen4C cores but doesn't seem to have any of the issues which can happen with the dual-CCD X3D chips (or that sometimes happen with Intel e cores) - though obviously there isn't the penalty there the same as if things are getting moved between CCDs.

Caporegime
The 7950X3D can still in edge cases require that kind of manual tuning though - something I found a bit weird with the Ryzen Z1 Extreme actually which has 4x Zen4 and 4x Zen4C cores but doesn't seem to have any of the issues which can happen with the dual-CCD X3D chips (or that sometimes happen with Intel e cores) - though obviously there isn't the penalty there the same as if things are getting moved between CCDs.
What edge cases exactly?

Rab

Rab

Associate
from those that went from 580ox3d to 7800x3d, is there a very big difference? they have fell in price a good bit in last week, maybe tempted to just go for a full am5 upgrade. the now using a 5800x3d with 7900 gre.

Soldato
from those that went from 580ox3d to 7800x3d, is there a very big difference? they have fell in price a good bit in last week, maybe tempted to just go for a full am5 upgrade. the now using a 5800x3d with 7900 gre.
I did it but it is a bit overkill. My excuse was that one of the old systems in our house died so pc shuffle time and upgrade for me :p Could have held on really but shiny is shiny. CP2077 ran a fair bit better, maybe Borderlands 3, Spider-Man and Starfield too. Massive increase in PS3 emu but I guess it depends what you play and what framerate you want to hit :)

Caporegime
I did it but it is a bit overkill. My excuse was that one of the old systems in our house died so pc shuffle time and upgrade for me :p Could have held on really but shiny is shiny. CP2077 ran a fair bit better, maybe Borderlands 3, Spider-Man and Starfield too. Massive increase in PS3 emu but I guess it depends what you play and what framerate you want to hit :)
The gain would have been even bigger if you'd bought the Matrix. ;)

Just make sure you enable expo to get the ram running at it's rated speed.

Thanks,

Just grabbed one of these off MM for only £180, only 3 weeks old, hopefully that should future proof me for a while, quite exciting this, I haven't built an AMD system since the Athlon 64 days, will windows install alone be enough or do you need chipset drivers and what not?

Will my EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU be adequate for now?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom