Shogun

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Harsh.

You sound as though you are trying to create an argument where none exists.

You start with "People seemed to assume..." type snark, you're gonna get "people" responding.
It was a one n done novel, and the rest was left to the imagination (easily supplemented by historical fact)

"People" before you accepted the boundaries of the story: everyone who read the book, and everyone who watched the 80's tv show.

Soldato
You start with "People seemed to assume..." type snark, you're gonna get "people" responding.
It was a one n done novel, and the rest was left to the imagination (easily supplemented by historical fact)

"People" before you accepted the boundaries of the story: everyone who read the book, and everyone who watched the 80's tv show.

Bro, do you even conversation?

Soldato
I wonder if the seeming public outcry for "more" might lead to an "away from the books" season 2 being made, showing the things only glimpsed during the finale, like becoming Shogun etc?

Then 2 weeks later......................................

Called it!

Money talks in the end and, with the huge popularity of the first season, I would have been amazed if a second wasn't rushed into existence. Now, with no books source to follow, we'll see how well a story can be created from almost scratch by the team but, as I mentioned previously, I really do wonder if this is the best idea. I'd be happy for another "Shogun" style TV show picking a different story from the era, but I can't help but be worried that this "season 2" might not be upto the high standards created by the first.

Soldato
Hardly a surprise, and the first was excellent, and there's a clear story there for another series. Buuuut with no source material I'm not sure I have especially high hopes!

Man of Honour
Finally finished. The acting, characters, costumes and settings are excellent as is the storyline and portrayal of Japan in the 1600s. It is rare to be transported into such a very believable setting. It is one of the best historical dramas I have seen.

Soldato
FX has announced that they are working to develop two more seasons of their hit series #Shōgun, based on the novel by James Clavell.

That should upset some purists in here. :D

Am actually OK with this as you if you really hate it, you can just pretend it ends at Season 1 ending which is canon to the book ending.

Not adapting a full story to completion is a lot worse to me than optional stuff I could skip, but if it's as good as Season 1 narratively then I'm happy.

Reactions: Kyo
Soldato
I'm chuffed they are doing more, people shouldn't compare it to the first season, it's not going to be as good. Season 1 is a classic, its very hard to match that, as long as we don't get a 4/10 season and its a solid 7, i'll be happy.
They've got the recipe there with the people that developed it, they'll all be working on it, it's just about coming up with a half decent story. They should carry on where they left i think, just because Toranaga is Shogun now doesn't mean it gets any easier. All the same things that happened in S1 would happen again, betrayal, subversion, warring clans, assassination attempts. They could flesh out the Portuguese/British war for power and influence in the region a bit as well, that's an interesting topic.

If people have never seen Silence, that might interest some people in here. You might also recognise a certain Japanese actor :p

Associate
Finished it last week and I found it immensely satisfying. Pretty much everything was top notch - acting, production, story. I do worry about seasons 2 and 3 though. I saw one BTS/interview where they said this project took 11 years to come to fruition - Sanada got involved after 4 years and was a major producer as well as actor. I'm not sure what exactly those 11 years consisted of, but I can imagine it was hell of a lot of iteration, honing and re-writing. I'm not convinced that the same quality of iterating can be done on an unwritten script/story with the pressure of the studios looming over them.

Back
Top Bottom