Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
I bought the £19 option in the first link about 3 weeks ago. It works great, good material. Weighty in the hand and does exactly what it says on the tin.

I would prefer a flat base and not a ridge one though, but I don't know if I want to pay £27 more for that as I can always use a normal tamper to smooth it out after (more faff though)
Few questions Ray

1. Does the click mechanism work well?
2. Did it come with the 20lb spring?
3. Does the ridge base collect grounds? (even if rotating inside the basket before removing)

Caporegime
Few questions Ray

1. Does the click mechanism work well?
2. Did it come with the 20lb spring?
3. Does the ridge base collect grounds? (even if rotating inside the basket before removing)

Actually, just checked, I paid £25, ordered it from here. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.17.24481802QrW1h6

1 - It does click and the mechanism works as expected.
2 - Mine is the 30lb spring, which is less force than I thought....30lb isn't that much I come to realise
3 - The ridges doesn't collect grounds. Ultimately this doesn't affect me as I put a shower screen on top after I tamp.

Nit pick....I ordered the 58.35mm one for a VST basket, and there is still tiny grounds on the edge that it doesn't get push down. So it can be a little larger than 58.35, perhaps 58.5mm. I have another "Competition" tamper than has a tighter fit than the Mbomber one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Actually, just checked, I paid £25, ordered it from here. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.17.24481802QrW1h6

1 - It does click and the mechanism works as expected.
2 - Mine is the 30lb spring, which is less force than I thought....30lb isn't that much I come to realise
3 - The ridges doesn't collect grounds. Ultimately this doesn't affect me as I put a shower screen on top after I tamp.

Nit pick....I ordered the 58.35mm one for a VST basket, and there is still tiny grounds on the edge that it doesn't get push down. So it can be a little larger than 58.35, perhaps 58.5mm. I have another "Competition" tamper than has a tighter fit than the Mbomber one.
Thanks Raymond. It finally arrived and I agree, the 30lb really isn't as much as I thought it would be.

I've now packed away the Mignon and brought out the Helios to play

pQy0I9t.jpeg

Soldato
Thoughts on this? Could be nice on a hot day.
I've been doing this for years but didn't realise that it had a name. I do usually stir it together otherwise you just end up with a glass of milk towards the bottom. I find iced lattes nice but they are so cold that it kills some of the taste. I prefer the no ice approach with just cold milk mixed with warm espresso gives a nice temperature.

Pic from July 2021, after being stirred.

Last edited:
Soldato
spent several hours investigating hx problem - heating light only flicking on briefly, with relay chatter, when machine turned on
- cleaned 16A AC relay contacts, tested stand alone
- checked low current relay inside gicar box
- shorted pressurestat not that
- shorted level sensor on water tank
- in gicar box then shorted high / low tank sensors - heating resumed when I shorted low level sensor hmmh but it is full I think.
- took out control rod - a misting of calcium carbonate on the stainless rod
that alone was the issue ... but may get a new relay anyway as although I've wetndryed the contacts still a noticeable spar as they close.
never had that issue in 7 years of ownership

53709493830_e355e5c570_b.jpg

Associate
I went through 2 of those gicar boxes on my old HX(blew) so it wouldn't be a waste to replace but descale first? Does the rod sit at the top of the boiler? If so general bau descale would miss it, need to tilt the machine for 20 mins with the citric in the boiler.

Soldato
I went through 2 of those gicar boxes on my old HX(blew)
expensive I imagine, but if they are used across multiple brands maybe there is a good supply - I thought this issue was going to be terminal, or require long abstinence
it is descaled regularly, my usage pattern has changed and I use much more steam & hot water now (hot chocolate) .
so either that, or descale has always been less effective on the probes, for problem to, just occur now.

Soldato
Is there anyone in here with a Rocket Appartamento? They have a new scheme running where you can pay £50 a month to rent the machine for 3 years and after the 3 year period you own it. Delivered and setup by the Rocket team, full warranty support for the 3 years and they visit you to effect repairs.

Slightly more expensive than just buying it outright, but it sounds like a decent deal.

Soldato
Around £1,250 depending on the retailer and the model. So around a £550 premium, again depending on the exact model in question.

Associate
The £50pcm rental deal is the new(ish) TCA model with temperature control. Looks like list price from the UK distributor is £1,600 but it's currently on offer for £1,500. There's also the option to rent a Faustino grinder (£500) as part of the deal.

There's more information and a video review in the article on Coffee Kev's site:

Does look like a good deal if you want one, although some reviewers have the machine missing some options (e.g. shot timer) and the temperature adjustment as a bit gimmicky...

Back
Top Bottom