Sky Sports to remain home of Formula 1 until 2029 after deal extended in all Sky markets

Caporegime
Caporegime
OP
Nope. Been using it for years without issue, just pick a server where F1TV is available.

Open the iOS app and “subscribe”. It’ll pop out the Apple Pay subscription window and you just confirm you want to pay £59 for the annual pro membership. After that it’ll auto renew.

Back on topic: I couldn’t pay the extortionate prices that sky offer and I’m honestly shocked F1 signed their life away with them.
Why are you shocked? It’s a tale as old as pay TV. Popular sport increases viewers on FTA TV, pay TV company sees this as an opportunity to make money, pays large amount of money for exclusive rights, viewership goes down but governing body or rights holder doesn’t care as their income is boosted massively. Viewers suffer with content locked behind increasingly exorbitant pay wall.

Caporegime
OP
Yep.

Sky are stupid. If they had an F1 only sub on now TV for under £5-10 a month, they'd likely get loads of subscribers.

The demographics of who likes which sport are quite different and I think there is little crossover most of the time
But they’d need four or five times the number of subscribers to make up the difference to those who take the full Sports sub?

Caporegime
OP
The TV license definitely needs to be scrapped. It is an absurdity in the modern world. It isn't the public's fault that the BBC haven't changed their business model quick enough. They need to start charging a proper subscription, and should have started to put the work into implementing it probably a decade ago.
Why would they do that though? Their income would be reduced massively. And there'd be adverts. And the quality of programming would drop massively.

Caporegime
OP
I’d love anyone but Sky to have the rights.
Be careful what you wish for. I can still remember ITV cutting to adverts as Schumacher and Alonso were fighting over the lead with a handful of laps remaining only to come back and one had passed the other and they had to show it in replay because they were contracted to a minimum number of ad breaks during the race.

Caporegime
OP
I left Sky in February and had F1TV app and Now TV to watch F1.

I got tired of messing about with the poor consistency of the F1 app and the shocking picture quality of Now TV as well as the fact it can be days before quali and races appear to watch on demand if you don’t catch them live.

When the F1 App threw a wobbly and stopped working altogether I threw in the towel.

I called Sky and asked about Sky Q. It isn’t available on their website to take out a sub (or at least it wasn’t for me). Yep still available.

So I got a quote for ultimate TV + sports HD and a 2TB Q box for £29 a month for 18 months. That was actually cheaper than now TV sports + booster. I bolted on a few extra quid for UHD sports.

The deal was on the account that Sky were wanting me to return as a customer, no doubt because I properly left. The last Q box and router and everything were sent back. Happily they also allowed me to reinstate my time served status so I got immediate access to VIP etc and my account shows me as being a customer for ~16 years. I know a lot of people report headaches with Sky customer services, but I’ve never had an issue really.

Anyway, Sky Q is just so convenient and allows proper download and recording, which Sky Stream does not. I’m going to hold onto it as long as I can until it is inevitably phased out.

Can’t say I regret going Back to Sky - it’s been great to watch recordings in UHD at such a time that is convenient for me without the image quality dropping out or stopping altogether. It’s just a shame the 2023 season has been lacking any real competition!

Roll on 2024 :)
Glad you're glad to be back. The Sky hate mob will be along shortly no doubt.

Caporegime
OP
I’m confused. Can you sign up for Sky via satellite any more? It says there is an F1 deal for £15 extra per month but no indication what that is in addition to. I can’t even seem to clearly put a deal together on their website. I’m not calling them, from previous experience I know how traumatic that can be.

I had the Now TV F1 deals before and they messed me about, and last few years I just watched C4 highlights until my Freesat DVR stopped working, and then C4 highlights which usually meant staying up super late and waiting around for it to appear on the app.

This season I want to watch it without fuss and ideally in reasonable quality. I assume the minimum sky package is a fortune, the Now TV will add up quick. Maybe I can just get a new Freesat DVR but even with that I have to wait for highlights, no live races or full replay. Looks like VPN and F1 app isn’t a reliable approach.

What are other F1 fans doing this season?
Sky is pushing Stream and Glass in a big way and Stream will be the option they push on you by default. You can still get Q though but not sure if you can do it via the website.

Caporegime
OP
I guess that's something but I still think you should either charge a subscription or fund with ads. I know the streaming services are starting this too but they charge chump change compared to sky.
An Adless service would be many times more expensive though? Like £60-£80 for sports along and no one would buy it.

Caporegime
OP
You're thinking of it backwards. F1 televised has no intrinsic value, just like football. It's cost is based on what people are willing to pay which creates the bidding war for the rights. If Sky price out customers they lose their investment. The willingness to accept the price and the ads sets the price and the ads.
To an extent, yes, but Sky clearly feels what they bid is worth it and the price they charge is also worth it.

Caporegime
OP
The price they charge is to maximise profit; it’s not about value.

Exclusive rights are terrible, and it’s almost a self-resolving problem. If all sports charged their own subscription, people who watch more than 1 sport would still pay Sky for a bundle, but you’d also have competition in the market. I only watch F1 so Sky can go jump.
The issue without a single supplier, or close to it as Sky will have next season means you don't need to jump around with different subs to different services to watch your team. Personally I'm still surprised the PL haven't gone for their own Streaming service, but I suspect the setup and running costs scare them, especially to begin with. Setup costs would be huge but it would work out better for the league eventually.

Caporegime
OP
That's self-inflicted though to be fair; the 3PM rule has been there for donkey's years now; I'm not aware that a similar rule exists anywhere else in Europe; I've certainly watched German, Italian and French football in bars at the "peak" viewing times over there on holiday.
There are quite a few American sports, baseball is the one that immediately springs to mind, that have local blackouts on home games similar to 3pm games. Again this is to drive local attendance or when a local broadcaster has exclusive rights, both similar reasons to the limited number of games shown and the 3PM Saturday issue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_blackout_policy

The NFL had one of the most egregious Blackout policies until it was scrapped in the mid 2010's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_television_blackout_policies

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
It doesn't do anything to protect their intellectual property. The people that record it for piracy don't typically use software, they use a cheap external capture card along with a device to circumvent HDCP. Some HDMI splitters can actually circumvent HDCP by accident which is what I used to record old footage on a PS3.
Sure there's always a way but simple steps like this go some way to making it difficult.

Caporegime
OP
Not really. It does nothing in the grand scheme of things. It seems more of a box ticking exercise to justify someone’s massive bonus. All whilst being blind to the actual issue. And the net result is it frustrates the end user.
So they just shouldn’t take any steps at all to protect their IP?

Caporegime
OP
What’s with Natalie, Naomi and Karun being in some AR studio rather than at the circuit this weekend? They also seem to be keeping quite some distance between them.
The distance is likely so they don't appear on the graphics. They do the same with the Football studios too, it's basically a table and 3 chairs with the studio projected as AR.

Back
Top Bottom