Son wants me to play Minecraft with him

Soldato
I must admit, I'm actually really quite enjoying the game, I haven't gone as far as getting on the same world or whatever it's called, but messing about in single player basically trying to learn how it works so I can help him.

I don't really have a clue what I'm doing but I've managed to get a furnace, build a bed and a house and get sustainable food

I'm struggling to find iron.

Other than that the game is surprisingly pretty addictive.

Soldato
It can be very addictive!! Explore some caves, you'll find iron in them. Remember to take some torches to light the way. When exploring, I try and always put the torches on the left hand side of when I'm going into caves, so I can follow them out again. Failing that, take some other type of blocks to make a path to follow out again

Soldato
also very rage quityy...
i explored an abandonded mine, had a load of ore and lots gems and equipment. made obsidean and was mining it when... i mined directly down... n00b mistake. you can image what happened im sure.

Last edited:
Soldato
I must admit, I'm actually really quite enjoying the game, I haven't gone as far as getting on the same world or whatever it's called, but messing about in single player basically trying to learn how it works so I can help him.

I don't really have a clue what I'm doing but I've managed to get a furnace, build a bed and a house and get sustainable food

I'm struggling to find iron.

Other than that the game is surprisingly pretty addictive.

I struggle with it tbh, I find it quite boring.

My son jumps from survival to creative and back so that he can build stuff. Plus he has the attention span of a crazed squirrel keeper :D, so there's no plan, no direction, just build and it's got to be his way....

Soldato
My boy's 10 and he's been playing on and off for a few years. He loves building the stuff from tutorials etc and recently built a massive Japanese pagoda and zen garden with a Ying yang pond. I'd actually rather he plays Minecraft than virtually another other game he's got

Soldato
I pay for a realm for myself and daughter to play, since she's on Bedrock edition (Nintendo Switch) and we mostly spend our time in creative mode. For a 2 player server through Microsoft, it's really cheap and helps to have the always online so anyone can play without the need of the other. Pity you can't really customise Bedrock as much as Java, although for the price it's worth it.

Soldato
I have a Bedrock server running on a NUC so my son and I can play together either on our PCs or mobiles etc whether he's at my house or his Mum's. We also have coordinates turned on so we can find each other if we get lost etc, and have enabled Keep inventory so we don't lose our stuff when we die... that has saved a lot of stress! And also allows us to use lava to teleport back home! :)

Soldato
I pay for a realm for myself and daughter to play, since she's on Bedrock edition (Nintendo Switch) and we mostly spend our time in creative mode. For a 2 player server through Microsoft, it's really cheap and helps to have the always online so anyone can play without the need of the other. Pity you can't really customise Bedrock as much as Java, although for the price it's worth it.

Ahhh ok.

I have the Java and Bedrock version on PC, I've only played Java single player, and although I've not tried it apparently I am also able to play Bedrock on the version I purchased.

My son plays it on his Nintendo switch. So I'm guessing if I want to play on the same world I'd also need to buy a realm?

Soldato
Ahhh ok.

I have the Java and Bedrock version on PC, I've only played Java single player, and although I've not tried it apparently I am also able to play Bedrock on the version I purchased.

My son plays it on his Nintendo switch. So I'm guessing if I want to play on the same world I'd also need to buy a realm?

Does he already have a realm (not to be confused by a world)? A realm is a server you rent from MS, and it's cross platform between Bedrock. They do sell realms for Java edition too, so don't get confused and buy that as the Switch can't connect to them. Only one person needs to pay for the realm and so long as it's kept active, the world is always online. You get 3 slots to pick a world, so can easily switch up between playing creative or survival. Just make sure the server has enough slots available for however many players you need.

I pay for the cheapest realm. Also just to add that if you already have a world you've started on, you can transfer that world to one of your save slots on the realm.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does he already have a realm (not to be confused by a world)? A realm is a server you rent from MS, and it's cross platform between Bedrock. They do sell realms for Java edition too, so don't get confused and buy that as the Switch can't connect to them. Only one person needs to pay for the realm and so long as it's kept active, the world is always online. You get 3 slots to pick a world, so can easily switch up between playing creative or survival. Just make sure the server has enough slots available for however many players you need.

I pay for the cheapest realm. Also just to add that if you already have a world you've started on, you can transfer that world to one of your save slots on the realm.
Legend thanks, yup managed to figure it out and briefly were playing together a bit earlier before going out.

They have a free trial for a realm plus or something it's £6.99 a month a think after 30 days, I couldn't obviously see there was a cheaper one.

Soldato
Legend thanks, yup managed to figure it out and briefly were playing together a bit earlier before going out.

They have a free trial for a realm plus or something it's £6.99 a month a think after 30 days, I couldn't obviously see there was a cheaper one.

Have a look under Settings:

l9yzmudl.png

Unless you care much about the marketplace items, cheaper server more then worth it.

Soldato
I stumped for the £3.29 one the other day,

Me and the boy only managed to play for an hour, but it is fun, shouting to each other me upstairs and him downstairs

Yea it's good to bond on something they like.

Mine has a switch, and although he mostly plays it like a console on the TV downstairs, he can bring it up and sit next to me whilst I'm on the pc, in handheld.

Soldato
@Spacedeck

Found it thanks, I suspect it's not an accident the base level one is hard to find, and that the premium one gives you a 30 day trial.

We played about an hour this evening, god it's hard work, Jack do this, no Daddy (destroys what you just made)......

Back
Top Bottom