Spec me a disabled accessible, pet friendly, UK based, holiday?

Soldato
Now I've got that mouthful out of the way, I need your help!

We're in desperate need of a break somewhere, but I'm struggling to find anything that doesn't cost over a grand for a week away. Ideally what I'm looking for, is something like an old caravan holiday in St Ives for 2 weeks like when I was a kid, only I haven't won the lottery.

I can't look abroad due to legal issues around my daughter getting a passport.

Realistically, a week away near a beech, that is disabled accessible and, pet friendly during the summer holidays would be perfect but I'm not averse to taking the kids out of school during term time. My budget is around £500 but I can stretch that a bit. I just want my kids to have a proper holiday!

What can you guys recommend?

Soldato
Best bet is probably stick the criteria into something like Airbnb.

We've just been searching for similar (except for the disabled bit), and found quite a few places (in Wales), some of which were also advertised as wheelchair accessible

Caporegime
Pet friendly, near a beach, 2 adults and a kid for £500 for a week?

You probably just need to manage your expectations here sadly.

Also maybe somewhere further up north? But even Scotland if imagine is £100pn during the summer holidays for a caravan.

Associate
You could look at a Haven holiday park as one example. You can do a 7 nighter from around £300 upwards in the summer months, outside of school holidays, and pay a relatively small surcharge for full access to the activities/entertainment if that's what you prefer (some come as standard). Glanced at the Lake District park and it's just a tick over £500 for 7 nights in a bronze van (sleeps 6) with full park access, 15-22 July. Haven offer accessible vans and are also pet friendly.

As an alternative, how about renting a cottage for the week? You can pick up a decent cottage for about £450-600. Plenty of options closer to home, but somewhere like Amble on the North East Coast could be an excellent option. Amble is a lovely little harbour town, gorgeous secluded beaches within 3 miles to the north (Warkworth) and south (Druridge Bay). There are loads of options for days out, history or countryside within very easy driving reach; Warkworth, Alnwick, fishing villages like Craster and Seahouses on the way to Bamburgh and Lindisfarne, or inland to Cragside etc. Whatever the age of your children, there are lots of options. Should be able to find something that suits your particular circumstances.

Soldato
You could look at a Haven holiday park as one example. You can do a 7 nighter from around £300 upwards in the summer months, outside of school holidays, and pay a relatively small surcharge for full access to the activities/entertainment if that's what you prefer (some come as standard). Glanced at the Lake District park and it's just a tick over £500 for 7 nights in a bronze van (sleeps 6) with full park access, 15-22 July. Haven offer accessible vans and are also pet friendly.

As an alternative, how about renting a cottage for the week? You can pick up a decent cottage for about £450-600. Plenty of options closer to home, but somewhere like Amble on the North East Coast could be an excellent option. Amble is a lovely little harbour town, gorgeous secluded beaches within 3 miles to the north (Warkworth) and south (Druridge Bay). There are loads of options for days out, history or countryside within very easy driving reach; Warkworth, Alnwick, fishing villages like Craster and Seahouses on the way to Bamburgh and Lindisfarne, or inland to Cragside etc. Whatever the age of your children, there are lots of options. Should be able to find something that suits your particular circumstances.

Totally support this.

I've spent many a summer in Seahouses and the surrounding area, tons to do and relatively cheap compared to much of the UK.

Bamburgh castle is a must and a great day out, you can go see the Grace Darling museum while there too and the beach is fantastic. Seahouses used to do boat/day trips to Holy Island which is a wonderful experience, as well as tours of the Farne Islands. I'm not sure how accessible they are for disabilities, but worth looking into regardless. Amble does tend to be one of the cheaper parts of that area though, but it's no less for it in my mind.

Associate
Seahouses used to do boat/day trips to Holy Island which is a wonderful experience, as well as tours of the Farne Islands. I'm not sure how accessible they are for disabilities, but worth looking into regardless. Amble does tend to be one of the cheaper parts of that area though, but it's no less for it in my mind.

I had a look at a couple of providers before posting and couldn't see any information about it, so I left it out. But if it is viable, the Farne Islands would make a great family day trip.

Edit: I didn't scroll far enough! The boats with this provider at least are wheelchair accessible, tide conditions dependent.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a look at a couple of providers before posting and couldn't see any information about it, so I left it out. But if it is viable, the Farne Islands would make a great family day trip.

Edit: I didn't scroll far enough!. The boats with this provider at least are wheelchair accessible.

Great catch, I've such fond memories of going out on the boats, getting to see wildlife like seals and the various birds up close is fantastic.

Soldato
Thank you guys, I'm really liking the idea. The North East sounds like a great shout.

It's a beautiful and friendly place mate, renting a cottage in the area really would be a fantastic and cost effective holiday.

Stones throw from Scotland too, I'd recommend a day trip to Jedburgh tbh. Absolutely beautiful little town, there's a museum there dedicated to Mary Queen of Scots that's a good trip. It's a large house she lived in for a time, although be warned it's got some very tight and steep stairs to go above the ground floor.

Last edited:
Associate
something like haggerston castle or berwick caravan park should tick most of the boxes, berwick upon tweed has a beach although I'm not sure on the accessibility you need. hopefully the price would work.

Back
Top Bottom