Static IP - benefits of configuring connection as Static IP vs DHCPv4?

Associate
I've recently changed my FTTP provider, and opted to receive a static IP. Previously I was connecting via PPPoE, now I can opt to configure as either DHCPv4 or Static IP. However, if I opt for Static IP, I need to enter the Subnet Mask and Gateway IP.

What would the benefit be to configuring as Static IP over DHCPv4, when the IP received is going to be static anyway? My (ignorant) thinking is configuring as DHCPv4 will have exactly the same result, as the DHCP server will be handing me the same IP each time anyway?

Caporegime
It's possible that your ISP doesn't actually let you define the static IP and insists on you getting the address via DHCP, even if it's a static

Associate
I used to have to configure my static IP manually on the router but they switched to DHCP their side so I changed router to DHCP and that's how I get my static IP now.

Associate
OP
Are you running servers or anything at home? Do you need to connect to your home PCs when you are away from home? If the answer to either is yes then you will benefit from a static IP.
Yeah I am, and that's why I ordered a static IP. However, that wasn't what I was asking. I was asking about the benefits of configuring the connection type as Static IP, rather than DHCPv4. Subtle difference! ;)

Soldato
Yeah I am, and that's why I ordered a static IP. However, that wasn't what I was asking. I was asking about the benefits of configuring the connection type as Static IP, rather than DHCPv4. Subtle difference! ;)
It's not needed these days as the static IP is usually assigned on the ISP side. It was the case years ago when you had to set it up on your end.

Back
Top Bottom