Support finding replacement battery and charging port

Associate
TL;DR

Please advise on the most efficient way to guarantee that the battery and charging port I purchase are fully compatible with my old laptop.

Hello all and thank you for taking the time to read and help me.

This is my first post, I have registered today for some advice.

I will pretence that I am up to date and confident with software, but that I have never delved into hardware.

I have an HP Envy 17-3002ea, purchased in July 2012.

The laptop served me without any hardware failure for just over a decade. However, sometime in 2022, it stopped charging. Upon testing the battery, it became apparent that it was no longer functional. My plan was to simply replace it. However, when I tested it on AC only, it did not turn on.

I am generally very handy and good at problem solving, so I decided to take my laptop apart to access the charging port.

Once I had identified the necessary screws to remove, the process was relatively straightforward. I kept the charging port plugged in throughout the procedure and, upon extending it out with the casing, the laptop suddenly powered on with AC only, without any issues.

It appears that the issue lies with the wiring of the charging port, as it functions when extended but not when in a 'C' shape to fit back inside the casing.

I would be grateful if you could advise me on the most efficient way to guarantee that the battery and charging port I purchase will be fully compatible with my old laptop.

Associate
There appears to be a used but tested working charging port for that laptop on ebay. Seller says to message him with any questions before buying, but there are pictures so i imagine you can just compare them and it's also pretty cheap tbh.
For the battery, it's unlikely that HP still stock a battery type from 2012, so that will be more of a gauntlet, but there do appear to be 3rd parts ones available which can sometimes be good or... not so good. Just make sure from the picture it looks the same and has the correct voltage and capacity basically as is on your original battery and hope you get a good one.

Soldato
That used to happen with some IBM laptops
Years ago
I used to buy them off ebay as faulty
Usually was a micro fracture in the port wiring
Cheap to replace
And it's a no soldering job after a quick look
At your model number
How to Guarantee it there should be part numbers on them
Or if not sure double check by messaging the seller
Used to cost me peanuts for new port
And with all the practice I could take them apart
Shove in new jack in very short order
Then resell on ebay for a nice profit ;)

As already mentioned
The battery is probably more of an issue
If its ebay and non oem battery
Try to read the sellers feedback for any warning signs
Well done for still using something that old too
Too many things that still work get dumped

Back
Top Bottom