Surface Laptop Go 2 vs Dell Xps 13 9305

Soldato
I need a travel laptop. For light tasks. Going to buy used as it will be a bag most of the time not used that much.

I'm not travelling for work. But work has locked down all their systems. There are times when at work, I need to do my own stuff, and I want to have my own device with me. Also when I'm away on holidays or the weekend. I'd like something basic I can thrown in a bag. Thinking picking up a used Surface Laptop Go 2 or Dell XPS 13 9305. Any thoughts. The XPS is the better device, more ports upgradable storage, but the Go2 is smaller. Similar weight.

Then I wonder would a used MacBook Air M1 be a more useful, longer life device. Though everything I do is windows, bit locker etc.

nam

nam

Soldato
XPS for me, does everything I need for work and personal use including travel. Great battery life and fast. I went for the standard non 4k , non touch screen.

Last edited:
Associate
I think the Go has a great design but frustratingly, they're fairly underpowered and Windows is not a great touch only OS. So if you're going to end up using with a keyboard anyway then a conventional laptop design is better.

Associate
Another vote for the XPS, non-OLED, went for 1920 x 1200 as it's great for retro gaming - used it every day for work and the battery life holds up: it's been brilliant.

Every thread needs pics, so I'll post a rubbish photo! :p

gLTnQAh.png

Soldato
I need a travel laptop. For light tasks. Going to buy used as it will be a bag most of the time not used that much.

I'm not travelling for work. But work has locked down all their systems. There are times when at work, I need to do my own stuff, and I want to have my own device with me. Also when I'm away on holidays or the weekend. I'd like something basic I can thrown in a bag. Thinking picking up a used Surface Laptop Go 2 or Dell XPS 13 9305. Any thoughts. The XPS is the better device, more ports upgradable storage, but the Go2 is smaller. Similar weight.

Then I wonder would a used MacBook Air M1 be a more useful, longer life device. Though everything I do is windows, bit locker etc.
One other thing, there's an MS event on Thursday so there might be a Go 3 and / or the Go 2 could get a reduction.

Soldato
OP
I think the Go has a great design but frustratingly, they're fairly underpowered and Windows is not a great touch only OS. So if you're going to end up using with a keyboard anyway then a conventional laptop design is better.

There is a Surface go tablet and a laptop go. In this thread I was talking about the laptop go 2.

Soldato
OP
Just an update on this. I ended up getting getting a used M1 MacBook Air. Wanted to try one. In fairness it's fantastic device. ...but I haven't used it that much. I end up reverting to my Windows laptops a lot.

Back
Top Bottom