The journey continues...

Associate
Hi all,

So firstly I hope this is the correct place to post? I want to post my progress as I continue my journey in weight loss, eating better and seeking advice?

Edit:
So coming up to 10 years ago this coming November, I had lost a total of 50kg from dieting and I think got down to about 96kg and had an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) over the proceeding 10 years I've been through a lot and clearly put some weight on and completely given up on this. But I'm 40 this year and I want to get fitter and healthier both physically and mentally.

I'll update this post as I think/gather information but some key info.

Height: 194cm
Current weight: 127kg

Current plan is to start slow until I have a better idea of what I need, brought a 2nd hand Roger Black exercise bike for £15 last week and did a 30min beginner plan today.

I guess my first question is what is a good goal to set to start with?

Thanks,

James.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok so what I think I'm going to do is.

* Exercise bike 3 times a week
* Some form of weight training 2 times a week
* Eat healthy options and make a food diary
* Weigh myself once a week a record
* Weight goal to start of 115kg

Soldato
Definitely a good place to track your progress but for general advise i would stick to the gym rats thread and the weight loss thread depending on your goals.

I would set simple goals rather then hard targets initially. So instead of "get to XXX weight" it would be "consistently lose weight over XXX time". To lose weight you have to be in a deficit (given you've done it before you know this), and the best way I'vefound to know that you are in a deficit is to track, you have this covered by making a food diary, but i would take this a step further and actually use a tracking app to do it. Work out your required cals and then create the deficit you need.

Little and often is another good one, walk daily rather than strict exercise, set yourself a step target, this really helped me last year in more ways then just weight loss.

Be consistent, tell people what you are doing, it makes you accountable then and you're more likely to stick to it!

Good luck in 2023, I look forward to watching your progress.

Soldato
Here are some things which helped me massively:

• 2 meals a day - for me, lunch and dinner worked best. I don't count calories, but I did also reduce portion sizes.
  • Just doing more walking - morning and lunch
  • Little and often mentality (for exercise) - 5 smaller gym sessions of 1 hour worked better for me than 3 massive ones.
  • Sleep! 10pm bed and 7am wake routine helped a lot
  • Routine - plan in your exercise sessions so that you're not "thinking" about doing them.

Just try things though. If something doesn't work for you, change it.

Soldato
I'd focus more on gradual lifestyle changes rather that drastic stuff.

Diet is a big one. Can you replace sugary foods with fruit? Cut down on sugar in hot drinks? Replace takeaway with home made equivalents? Reduce alcohol consumption?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom