The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
I wish I had the budget to try the older more limited releases. I just cant justify it at the moment. Maybe in the future. Do please let us know how you get on with the PC18 though I'm very intrigued!!!

If anyone is looking, Masters of Malt has the Lagavulin 16 for a "reasonable" £64, just ordered two bottles, ~£80 seems to be the RRP these days, just finished the last of my current bottle. Very much my favourite still.
Recently gone back to Talisker Dark Storm. I dont know if my taste has developed/moved on but I'm enjoying the standard Talisker 10 to the dark storm, it is a fresh bottle but it dosnt have the same smoke profile I remember. I guess it helps that our SNCO Mess stocks Talisker 10.
It's definitely a splurge for me, spending more than £100 on a bottle is a big mental barrier and not one I want to cross to often.

I haven't had Talisker 10 for about 5 years now, but the conventional wisdom is that it beats out anything else in their core range except maybe the 18, and even that is subjective.

A cask strength well aged Talisker is on my wish list one day.

Soldato
0MLTa5m.jpeg

Got these two recently. The Lagavulin is one of my favourites but I haven’t had the Macallan before, or any other Macallans.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got these two recently. The Lagavulin is one of my favourites but I haven’t had the Macallan before, or any other Macallans.
Lovely Lag. I've not ever tried a Macallan - could never get past their absurdly high prices for what seem to be quite average products, feels like the price is the brand (a bit like how Lagavulin has been getting in recent years). Their older releases are clearly very highly regarded, but their endless special runs really puts me off.

But I'd not say no to a dram!

Soldato
I’m going to Black Rock whisky bar in London later. Hoping to try some new whiskies. Anyone been?

Edit:
I went for a flight of 3 whiskies. Kavalan ex bourbon oak, Bunnahabhain Cruach-Mhòna and Octomore 10 year διάλογος

IMG-7626.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
0MLTa5m.jpeg

There is something really special about the Lag16 smoke profile for me. Most other peaty Islay's have a medicinal/rubbery smoke flavour. Not saying that it is a bad thing at all, I really enjoy that as well. However, Lag has this comforting BBQ/campfire vibe going. That smell you get from your hair/cloths after being close to a wood fired bonfire. Its cosey, its comforting and warming, its special and I keep going back to it. I've just cracked open the third bottle of it this year...:eek:

Octomore 10 year
How did you find the Octomore? I'm very intrigued, its a lot of money to take a risk on though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I can count myself lucky. We were in town today for a spot of shopping and lunch, and my other half wanted to go to the Whiskey exchange to get a selection of miniatures for her Dad’s birthday. I helped pick a few, and as she was paying thought I’d ask the guy on the off chance they had any Springbank in. To my surprise, he said yes, they’d got some in this morning but he thought they were already gone, and scuttled off to check. He came back hiding it under his arm like it was contraband and we had a good chat about how he was only going to sell it to me if he thought I’d drink it (This was the 10yo) to which my answer was “of course!” and he said “oh I could tell by the way you asked” lol :p

Unfortunately I have a MoM voucher burner a hole in my wallet, that’ll just have to go on something else :o ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I can count myself lucky. We were in town today for a spot of shopping and lunch, and my other half wanted to go to the Whiskey exchange to get a selection of miniatures for her Dad’s birthday. I helped pick a few, and as she was paying thought I’d ask the guy on the off chance they had any Springbank in. To my surprise, he said yes, they’d got some in this morning but he thought they were already gone, and scuttled off to check. He came back hiding it under his arm like it was contraband and we had a good chat about how he was only going to sell it to me if he thought I’d drink it (This was the 10yo) to which my answer was “of course!” and he said “oh I could tell by the way you asked” lol :p

Unfortunately I have a MoM voucher burner a hole in my wallet, that’ll just have to go on something else :o ;)
I must admit I’ve never come across this whisky before. This was in the Covent Garden Whisky Exchange?

Soldato
I must admit I’ve never come across this whisky before. This was in the Covent Garden Whisky Exchange?
Yep. Not that I want to create any more fans - but it’s got a pretty unique profile, is a very small distillery so can’t make much, and thus very hard to get hold of. I’ve been drinking it for years, unfortunately the two-bit “investors” got hold of it and it all gets bought up for resale almost as soon as any hits the shops. Hence my luck. Plenty of info online. My friend is a Springbank member and still struggles to get it when released.

Fortunately the decent shops still sell it at retail which is £56 for the 10yo. I remember buying it when it was £30-40 I’m sure. But it could be a lot worse if you look at whiskey inflation generally.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep. Not that I want to create any more fans - but it’s got a pretty unique profile, is a very small distillery so can’t make much, and thus very hard to get hold of. I’ve been drinking it for years, unfortunately the two-bit “investors” got hold of it and it all gets bought up for resale almost as soon as any hits the shops. Hence my luck. Plenty of info online. My friend is a Springbank member and still struggles to get it when released.

Fortunately the decent shops still sell it at retail which is £56 for the 10yo. I remember buying it when it was £30-40 I’m sure. But it could be a lot worse if you look at whiskey inflation generally.
The only redeeming feature of the Hawksmoor in Piccadilly last year was its whisky selection, and almost all reasonably priced, including Springbank 10. It was a nice dram, but not worth to me anything close to the resale value. It's great there are still sources of the original retail price like you've found.

Soldato

Ha well done, did they have anything other than the 10?

Soldato
You know what I didn't ask. I think the 15 or 18 would be a bit too spendy on a whim given I've got lots of other drams in - and a MoM voucher to use!
Very fair. Would be curious to know what they sell 18 for at retail though. I know on secondary market the price is well above what it's actually worth to drink.

Last edited:
Soldato
Very fair. Would be curious to know what they sell 18 for at retail though. I know on secondary market the price is well above what it's actually worth to drink.
MoM is showing £115 which sounds like RRP. I think most (decent?) shops don't seem to inflate prices depending on supply/demand. I certainly wouldn't consider buying any whiskey from a secondary seller, they can get in the bin with ticket scalpers and property investors as far as I'm concerned.

Back
Top Bottom