This Business and Moment...

Soldato
I said in here before about wanting to try my hand at a devops role, well it looks like it could happen now thanks to some very helpful colleagues. I am currently doing some shadowing to see what area I like, and then a secondment will be arranged and providing I like it (and can do I guess) then we would look to change my role. One of the few perks of public sector work is the ability to dip your toe into different areas.
I think my background with digital delivery will be beneficial as I know how I'd be expected to interact with delivery managers and product owners. I've always felt I was capable of more (not disparaging the DM and PO roles at all) but put up my own mental blockers that stopped me ever really pursuing a different path. The good thing is that if I decide its not for me, or I'm not good enough then I have the project management or delivery manager roles to fall back on. So very little risk to reward ratio.

Edit: Just to add some context, I have been tinkering with programming since about 1998. I just never stuck with it but have picked up a very broad knowledge of principles, theory etc etc, as well as done a fair bit of cyber tinkering. It's not like I've never written a line of code before and suddenly said I want to program.

Last edited:
Soldato
Make sure any offer you get includes green card sponsorship from day one even if you have to pay back the fees if you leave. The sooner you get it the easier it is to settle in without worrying about being kicked out of the country at your bosses whim

Forgot to reply to thank you for the advice

Will definitely ask this question if/when it gets to the HR/external council stage. Definitely makes sense to push for green card straight away if possible.

Soldato
OP
Had my first 1:1 yesterday since the news of my departure and my boss was talking documentation and sorting out the confluence in a way that it was best places bla bla which was my task to get done. I did it in 5mins while she was talking.

Then she asked if I wanted to take on more work and I couldn't help but burst out laughing. Then apologised and said, no, of course I don't? I said I would want to do everything properly if I did anything, but I am as you can imagine, just not motivated to do that so I'd rather just not. She was like yea, totally get it. I also said I'd rather punch myself in the face than work for Hannes the problematic German with little man syndrome. I mean, I left the last bit out :D

So looks like I can do as I please now! Which is nice.

I'm off to book a trip to Japan next month while these ******* still pay me :cry:

Soldato
Have a formal interview for the role scheduled for mid-May.

From what I gathered from others... I'm the only real viable candidate.
There is also a fear within management that they might lose me if they give the role to someone else.
Had formal first round interview yesterday (I was the first one to be interviewed) - and I'm through to the 2nd round (which is likely the final round).

Only 3 questions asked by my global manager (for whom I've already worked for the past 7 years!)

My rumour mill has completely dried up, but I'm going to take the above as a positive sign.

Last edited:
Soldato
Trying to herd cats and the org (a) does but doesn't want product (b) may or may not finance (c) wants to work a new way (Shape Up) but go silent without an answer to the question of how do we tell people when things are coming if they only do the bits they like. I don't mind working in anyway.. only issue is I'm one that is having to document it and justify it. A little sick of being the one on the hook but being allowed to be ignored by peers by senior management.

I think it's time to start looking for a new role, new we've saved the company bacon twice, we're being left to rot rather than mature (there's 5 FTE and all vendor and have explicitly been told that we can't hire more FTE). It has all the classic signs of build and dump. It's no longer the solution for the burning fires. It also speaks of being a political direction driven product/portfolio as it can't stand on it's own two feet.

I think the next stage would be the forward momentum of a product portfolio.. however it's hard todo that when financial team should have their sanity questioned.. but everyone is scared of them.

Last edited:
Soldato
you know when everything bypasses you, you’re waved as a oversight function and there’s no new work in the eyes of the CEO that.. as a product person you’d better start looking for a new job..

Caporegime
you know when everything bypasses you, you’re waved as a oversight function and there’s no new work in the eyes of the CEO that.. as a product person you’d better start looking for a new job..

It seems like you've had issues with this job from the start tbh. I'd deffo look to jump ship.

Back
Top Bottom