• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Tuning 7800x3D for optimal performance

Associate
New pc delivered today put together and is up and running on the first boot without issue.

7800x3D cooled by a Thermalright phantom spirit 120se
MSI B650 tomahawk
G.skill 6000mhz CL30 32gb (expo enabled)

What tuning is recommended on these CPU’s to get optimal performance from them?

TYIA

Associate
OP
Good to hear, what BIOS did the board ship with btw?
Probably only get a few more % with tuning, depends how much effort you want to put in, OS likely more of a factor :(
It can’t remember which version but it was the one before the latest which I flashed to it before assembling.

Running a clean install of windows 11 pro.

I’ve heard about PBO and curve optimiser pretty much being a basic set and forget and that makes a good improvement allowing it to boost up to max but not sure how to go about it. I’m not bothered about super fine tuning lots of little things to get the absolute max out of it, kinda like just setting EXPO/XMP on ram, not fudging about fine tuning voltages on individual cores to get the absolute best benchmark scores

Last edited:
Soldato
It can’t remember which version but it was the one before the latest which I flashed to it before assembling.

I’ve heard about PBO and curve optimiser pretty much being a basic set and forget and that makes a good improvement allowing it to boost up to max but not sure how to go about it. I’m not bothered about super fine tuning lots of little things to get the absolute max out of it, kinda like just setting EXPO/XMP on ram, not fudging about fine tuning voltages on individual cores to get the absolute best benchmark scores

I have the same board and I'm on the 2nd latest (7D75v1E5 - which is beta). Seems to be pretty good so haven't felt to need to update to stable 1E. BIOS older than the 1E3 and newer than the 1A have an issue with NVME slot 2 iirc

Well you can probably set PBO to something between -20 to -30 all core and see if it is stable. For me it's good at -26, I've also tuned a lot of mem timings as well but that is time consuming to stability test. If you have Hynix RAM @LtMatt can probably give you some quick and dirty mem settings :p

Associate

In the MSI Bios press F7 to get the Advanced mode ( BIOS is set to EZ mode by default ). Then click on the Overclocking settings tab on the left ; from there click the Advanced CPU configuration, then select AMD Overclocking and then Precision Boost Overdrive - this is set to Auto by default but you need to switch it to either Manual or Advanced. I'd recommend the latter if you don't wish to tinker with other settings. Both "manual" and "advanced" will unlock the Curve Optimizer menu ( do not select GPU Optimizer ! ). Within the Curve Optimizer menu you need to change the first option to "negative" then in the section beneath that type in a number value. Most people start with something like 20 and see if their system is stable. If it is you might want to try a higher number eg. 25 or 30. Unfortunately not all CPUs are equal and you are at the mercy of the silicon lottery as to how far you can you push your negative offset. I lucked out and got away with -30 without any problems. You can go further than that ... but there are other things you'd likely need to tweak to make your system stable.

Soldato
the only thing you need to do is set curve optimiser the negative all core and start at -20

Set EXPO, and cheek the SOC voltage is running below 1.3 if not lower it.

Back
Top Bottom