Unusual Coil Whine

Associate
That's a first, at least for me.
One would expect the usual suspects to present some form of coil whine: GPU, PSU or the Motherboard's VRM. No.
My 2 Samsung 980 Pro NVME. 1TB and 2TB.
Every time Samsung Magician access them to gather some info, or when a larger software load from them, I can hear this buzz. Not as loud as the ones mentioned before, but sure noticeable, specially when the rest of the system is dead quiet.
Firmware have been updated ages ago to the last version available. There is no gap at the back (square rubber pad applied as per Asus guide). Thermalpad making full contact with the front of the NVME.
Not sure if the "issue" was always present, as I used to have the case on the floor, left side of my desk, now on desk, 40ish cm from my ear, but
Any thing I should be worried about or any advice to reduce/stop it?

Associate
Probably nothing to worry about, I have an NVMe SSD that has coil whine under heavy load too. I tried various things to silence the noise but had no luck so stuck it in my server instead, been used heavily for 3-4 years without issue, still whines though.

Man of Honour
Any thing I should be worried about or any advice to reduce/stop it?
I've had it too, if everything is otherwise working fine then I wouldn't worry.

SSDs are often 'marketed' as silent, but they're definitely not (at least, not all of them). I think most PCs are too loud for the average user to hear them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom