Upgrade build

Soldato
Hi all. Over Christmas/New Year, looking to upgrade my current PC in sig (will transfer my current 3080 over and use existing monitor), then wait to see what comes out with the new 4k oled monitors and 4000 series refresh gpu's (may wait for the 5000 depending on what monitor I go for).

Not really sure on my budget but the system will only be used for gaming, mainly competitive multiplayer and big single player games. Been looking at the newest i5's or would it be better to go for the AMD? Also looking to get it in a small form factor if possible.

Edit: Think I may have posted in wrong place, If so can an admin move or do I need to re-post?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Man of Honour
ITX is not my thing, but so far as I can see:
- ATX PSU is not compatible, it must be SFX or SFX-L.
- 120mm AIO has a max thickness of 45mm with SFX PSU, but it is not clear if this is only the radiator, or the radiator with fans. If it is radiator with fans, I don't think the 120mm AIO will fit.

You'd need to check the dimensions of your graphics card cooler too, if you haven't already.

Soldato
OP
ITX is not my thing, but so far as I can see:
- ATX PSU is not compatible, it must be SFX or SFX-L.
- 120mm AIO has a max thickness of 45mm with SFX PSU, but it is not clear if this is only the radiator, or the radiator with fans. If it is radiator with fans, I don't think the 120mm AIO will fit.

You'd need to check the dimensions of your graphics card cooler too, if you haven't already.

Thank you for the feedback, appreciate it! Will change the case tonight and everything else and re-post to double check that :)

Soldato
OP
Man of Honour
Is this better?
I think the freezer might be to thick for the top mount, it says 60mm on their website for radiator and fan and the freezer is larger than this by my calculations (rad+fan), though I can't find confirmation of the actual total thickness from the manufacturer.

The PSU is SFX-L and they say SFX is recommended (I don't know why).

The motherboard doesn't have flashback, so I don't know how it would behave "out of the box" with a 14th gen CPU.

Soldato
OP
This is harder then I remember it being last time I built my system :cry:

Would it be easier to go down the AMD route with the 7800x3D and am5 itx motherboard as they should be more compatible out of the box?

Man of Honour
Would it be easier to go down the AMD route with the 7800x3D and am5 itx motherboard as they should be more compatible out of the box?
It would address the possible issue with 14th gen and older motherboards, but it wouldn't help with the other ones.

When I do ITX specs, I usually go with the Phanteks P200 because it is simpler (e.g. supports ATX PSU), but it is a relatively large case.

Man of Honour
Doesn’t that phanteks one expand to allow for a 240mm cooler?
The last one in your spec (Shift XT)? Yes, but so far as I know, the thickness issue I mentioned still applies. @mickyflinn might be better placed to say than me, but I believe the Arctic is one of the thicker AIOs and runs into trouble in a few cases.

Man of Honour
The case can take a 240mm aio but I wouldn't go for the arctic it's rad is thicker as @Tetras mentioned but the CPU waterblock can also interfere with components , especially on itx motherboards.

As for going AM5 then the 7800x3d would be my choice especially as the platform will have future upgrade potential.

Here is a build video with the shift xt.

Soldato
OP
The case can take a 240mm aio but I wouldn't go for the arctic it's rad is thicker as @Tetras mentioned but the CPU waterblock can also interfere with components , especially on itx motherboards.

As for going AM5 then the 7800x3d would be my choice especially as the platform will have future upgrade potential.

Here is a build video with the shift xt.

Thank you for that, What is the best PSU to go for with that system? Will try get the same AIO cooler that's used in that video but will 850 be enough if I want to upgrade to the 4080 super (or wait for the 5000 series) in the future?

Man of Honour
Thank you for that, What is the best PSU to go for with that system? Will try get the same AIO cooler that's used in that video but will 850 be enough if I want to upgrade to the 4080 super (or wait for the 5000 series) in the future?
I certainly would get a 1000w PSU as GPUs trends seem to demand more power at the high end but I do think 850w would do. ( 450w draw unless for a 4080 unless you go for an atx 3.0 psu which then can deliver up to 600w).

If your concerned about noise then platinum rated psu's usually are quieter but come at a premium.

As for the cooler in the video you don't need to go for that in particular just check the rad thickness of it as a guide , Most aio are 27mm and the fans are 25mm thick although the arctic is 38mm.

Then you can pick whichever aio you want and have more control over speeds some with accompanying software.

Also I think I would wait for the 5000 series unless you really struggling to meet the min FPS you need.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thank you for the advice above, appreciate it. Ordered all the components over the weekend should be here today/tomorrow! Gone for a 1000w corsair SFX PSU & EKWB AIO 240mm cooler (made sure to check the thickness as suggested in here). Also gone for the MSI 34" QD-OLED monitor. Hopefully my 3080 will hold up until the 5000 series comes out :D

Soldato
OP
IMG-9301.jpg

Up and running :D

Back
Top Bottom