Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
My mum is paying £24 for 250Mb + Basic phone line (Free weekend calls). This is going to £69 so I put in the cancellation and the best they could do was £33. I left it a week and then tried the online chat; best they offered was £36.

I then called the 020 number and was straight away offered £22 so accepted that as I was looking to get it for £25 or less.
I will try the number tomorrow.

Associate
Quick question ... currently have a SH2 running in modem mode. VM have just emailed me offering a SH4 as they noticed we have a "very old hub". Any opinions on whether this is a sensible option - their argument that it provides better WiFi isn't relevant as it will be in modem mode as I have ubiquiti APs for that ... off hand I can't remember if SH4 was one to avoid or not!

Man of Honour
Quick question ... currently have a SH2 running in modem mode. VM have just emailed me offering a SH4 as they noticed we have a "very old hub". Any opinions on whether this is a sensible option - their argument that it provides better WiFi isn't relevant as it will be in modem mode as I have ubiquiti APs for that ... off hand I can't remember if SH4 was one to avoid or not!
SH5 is the best hub I've used of the ones they do. It was the SH3 which was dire, but I think in modem mode they were all fine, it was the router/wireless part particularly of SH3 which was poor. There is a limit on the speed the SH2 you have will provide, as it doesn't use DOCSIS3.1 so eventually you'll need to change it to get the quicker speeds.

More info here - https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/existing-customer-deals/hub

edit: corrected as was talking about the Hub5 not Hub4

Last edited:
Soldato
£69 is crazy, even out of contract for that.
£69.83 to be precise! VM had just taken a direct debit of that amount which consequently made it difficult to keep my mum quiet during the conference call as she was unsurprisingly pretty irate.

He refunded the vast majority of it so she doesn't have to pay any bill until August which thankfully brought her blood pressure back to normal.

Soldato
woke up this morning and had no internet, my SH5 is in modem mode and connects to my home-brew Opnsense router which is installed as a VM in Proxmox.

Rebooted the Opnsense VM and still nil WAN, but all LAN was contactable.

Rebooted the Proxmox server and it all came back online, checked the SH5 logs and it had done a software update at 1am and after it rebooted it mustn't of enabled the WAN port on the home-brew machine, was a little strange, need to keep an eye on it.

ive just fitted a quad 2.5Gbe network card, wondering if its this, never had issues before I when had a dual 10gb card fitted.

Soldato
Finally had enough of my 7h download times for an 80gb game so I ordered 512 package and will use the volt thing for the 1 gig upgrade.
Not that I'll get the most out of it as I use WiFi mainly but I can wire to the router if I need to.

Soldato
I would phone them up, mention the email and ask if there's any chance you can get the SH5 instead. Even without that email, Virgin were able to replace my SH3 with a SH5 despite me being on the 500Mb service. I also know a friend who is on the 100Mb or 150Mb service and a VM engineer gave them a SH5 - but only because a storm fried their SH3 and the engineer had no SH4's in their van.

I must admit, the SuperHub 5 is leaps and bounds ahead of the SuperHub 3, which should never have been supplied to customers in the first place as they were so shambolic.

woke up this morning and had no internet, my SH5 is in modem mode and connects to my home-brew Opnsense router which is installed as a VM in Proxmox.

Rebooted the Opnsense VM and still nil WAN, but all LAN was contactable.

Rebooted the Proxmox server and it all came back online, checked the SH5 logs and it had done a software update at 1am and after it rebooted it mustn't of enabled the WAN port on the home-brew machine, was a little strange, need to keep an eye on it.

ive just fitted a quad 2.5Gbe network card, wondering if its this, never had issues before I when had a dual 10gb card fitted.
I did read a post on Virgin's forums about EEE causing problems with the 2.5Gb network port. I can't find it now, but it's something for you to look into.

Yeah my SH5 did a firmware update a week or so ago as well. No idea whats changed though.
That update hit me last night too.

Associate
Just left Virgin and they sent me an email saying my account was 30 quid in credit and there could be dire consequences if I don't pay it. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Been sent one of the newer black wifi boosters, anyone know if these can work with a custom split (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) wifi or do I need to reset back to the default combined wifi like with the older boosters?

Can't see any setup instructions apart from "turn it on and wait for it to connect"

Back
Top Bottom