What film did you watch last night?

Associate
The Rookie (1990)

Havent seen this in a few years and remember it being a bit better. Some questionable acting from most of those involved.

Caporegime
The Coffee Table (Spanish title: La Mesita del Comedor entonces pero Coffee Table).

New parents Jesús and María visit a furniture shop, where Jesús—against his wife's loud objections—purchases an expensive but tacky flatpack coffee table with a glass top.

Returning home, they briefly chat to a female neighbour, and Jesús spends a few agitated minutes fending off the romantic advances of her 13 year old daughter, who is obssessed with him.

Having retreated into their apartment, Jesús assembles the table while María complains at him and then goes shopping. While she is out, an incident occurs involving the coffee table.

The rest of the movie involves Jesús' hilarious attempts to conceal his embarrassing mistake from his wife, his brother, his brother's vegan(!) girlfriend, his neighbours, and—somewhat bizarrely—the furniture salesman.

This sharp little comedy will delight and surprise a wide range of viewers, but particularly those with small children.

I rate The Coffee Table at 26.64, which works out as a zesty 8/10 on IMDB.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Gremlins and Gremlins 2

Both are classics. Gremlins is a more serious film and Gremlins 2 is just chaos. I love both, but Gremlins2 is my personal favourite of the 2. Both solid 9/10's

Soldato
Kong x Godzilla The new empire.
its an ok watch, f you like the monster mayhem, enjoyed fight scenes, even though a bit silly at times, there's a plot, but daft. thats about it, mediocre at best.
6/10

Soldato
Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 7.5 / 10

Going to watch the trilogy with the other half, who hasn't seen any of them, in readiness for the new instalment.

This one still holds up well, though there were a couple of mind numbingly plot contrivances that just stood out like a sore thumb for me. Mainly the infecting of the chimp handler, how his mask gets knocked off and he's exposed to the aerosol version of the virus and no-one mentions it or takes any action. Then they go on about the potential dangers of exposure to humans as it's having a different reaction than in chimps and finally no-one bats an eyelid when said handler doesn't come into work as he's off sick! :cry:

Going to watch the second one tonight if we have time, will be interesting to see what I think now as I've only seen 2 & 3 once and wasn't that keen on them at the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sting. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt20112746/

After raising an unnervingly talented spider in secret, 12-year-old Charlotte must face the facts about her pet-and fight for her family's survival-when the once-charming creature rapidly transforms into a giant, flesh-eating monster.

Excellent horror. Better than the other recent spider/horror movie that came out recently, Infested. 6/10 for me.

Soldato
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes - I like these. Really enjoyed it. A few questionable moments but overall a primatological 6/10 Above average

Civil War - you know when a film takes a snapshot of a wider story and you don't quite feel you were actually present? Some decent scences. A when, not if 5/10 average.

Caporegime
Sammy, those are ******* onions

Abigail 7/10

This was getting a much better score but it lost it's way a little in the last 20 mins or so. Funny in places, good cast (Kathryn Newton and Kevin Durand in particular are great), agreed it's better not knowing anything. Just wish the final part had been better.

Associate
Rebel Moon: Part Two - The Scargiver (2024) - 4/10

Watchable but kind of pointless eye candy with plenty of slow motion farming.

The plot is less varied than the first part with a singular theme but nothing much interesting or engaging happens until the second half which is full of stylish and impressive battle scenes.

The CGI’s excellent but the moody theme would have been better had the film had a higher age rating, showing the violence and blood instead of cutting away each time.

The dialogue’s trite, the characters get little if any development and whilst the score is dramatic, the delivery rarely is.

Soldato
The Fall Guy. I really enjoyed it, some good in movie jokes and nods to so many other films, some good funny moments as well. Kind of a love letter to stunt people and what they do, also all real world performed stunts for all of the film ( exception of some bluescreen), and I think holds the current record for on camera car rolls at 8.5. It deserved to do better at the cinema and only ads fuel to the fire why we don't get more expensive original films.

Also

Late Night with the Devil. A typical "possession" flick with some back story stuff going on, but the charm is its all set in a 70s Late night talk show during a live broadcast, you watch the show as seen when its live then when on "commercial breaks " see the **** show going on off stage/ back stage etc. Its really good I thought, really different setting and very fun.

Last edited:
Don
Every time someone mentions this slow motion farming I assume it must be some organised trolling against me, surely it can't be real.....surely.
Yeah, I’m told 20mins of it apparently - surely can’t be true. Also they use the corn/flour to protect their houses or something from the guys in the coal fired star ship :cry:

Back
Top Bottom