What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Neat.

My local garage only charge 30 quid for oil and filters though so think I'd pay the lazy premium.

Assume it's fairly easy to dispense it at a tip?
£30 for an oil change including oil and filter? I'd question if they're even changing it for that price.

Soldato
big syringe is obligatory for the gearbox&diff though .... in the next life I'll get a transparent one.
I assume that with the pump extraction from the sump bottle/pipes tolerate a hot extraction.

what was the californian scent then - marijuana ?

Soldato
You can get 12v pumps also that come with long bits of tube so you don't even have to use your hands. They are great for doing diffs, gearboxes and power steering reservoirs.

I bought one from Lidl for £9.99 about 5 years ago but most likely 50 quid with the inflation over the past two years.
Middle of Lidl has one at the moment I keep being tempted by... I'll report on price tomorrow. I think sub-£20.

Associate
EML light was on.
From plugging in the Code Reader, it gave me this code - "P0121 throttle position sensor (TPS) circuit “A” is above or below the normal range."
Being a 2.0 VAG Diesel engine i just assume that the throttle body is just clogged with carbon so cant either open fully or close fully.
Anyway, whipped it off and low and behold shes a dirty girl.

Before:

After:

Soldato
Replaced the throttle cable as the old one had worn a kink in the sleeve.

In doing so had to take the hard top off and reinstate the soft top. Im actually hopeful this will be more watertight. Surprised I got the entire job done in an hour, I only popped out to scope the job out.

Now I can take it for its MOT having sat on the drive since December! Fingers crossed it passes as insurance and tax due in June...

Man of Honour
Well looks like I need a at least one new new drive shaft as mine are too corroded and the new reluctor ring on the left won't go on at all, the right one is siezed on and a special tool is being sent from their sister garage later on to see what's that is like.

Ahh the joys of owning an old M car....

Car is out of action for 2 more days at the min depending on when the new drive shaft(s) get delivered to the garage quick or not. Best option just replace both anyway as they'll come with the rings attached already and it's only time before the opposite side rusts itself away and damages the new ring anyway.

Back
Top Bottom