What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Finished plasterboarding the "cold" walls in the old bathroom/new bedroom. Also wired up the remaining plugs. I love my old niche plug. If the room ever does live long enough to see a double bed, this could be a perfect little phone charging space. For a nursery it'll be for the white noise machine.

zoOIMAM.jpg

From 0 sockets to 4 doubles and 2 singles, 2 ethernet and 2 coaxial.

Next job - probably continue the dirty stuff. I need to strip the woodchip ceiling :o. No idea what I will find! And then skim/fill the wall on the left hand side where all the plaster came off. And then joint and tape. And then a sanding mission.

I'll probably focus on getting a door refitted now though tbh, so I can keep the dust down. It has been butchered - looks like a carpenter with a butter knife last fitted it - so I may end up "flipping it" and putting the old handle side to hinges, and the old hinge side to a handle. That way I can fill it nicely and get clean surfaces.

Also, the plasterboard has caused my pipework to be too close to the wall --- this room always got way hot with its double 600 though. So I think I can replace it with a single 600 given the new insulation, and then not touch the pipework....

Soldato
Just on the above ^^ - does anyone forsee any issues with the wardrobe being uninsulated? I have the pipes there so I am not sure whether it makes sense to maybe box them in and fill with rockwool - or just carve a bit out of the insulated plasterboard and board over, or just leave it be?

Soldato
Just on the above ^^ - does anyone forsee any issues with the wardrobe being uninsulated? I have the pipes there so I am not sure whether it makes sense to maybe box them in and fill with rockwool - or just carve a bit out of the insulated plasterboard and board over, or just leave it be?

I think it will be a cold spot but other than that ok.

Are you mechanically fixing it to the wall as effectively you've tied heavy(ish) insulation board to old plaster? I think they do it for fire risk etc also.

Man of Honour
I'd insulate the back of the built in. I have a built in wardrobe on an external wall similar to that, initially didn't think I'd need to insulate but subsequently found issues with condensation in it. Entirely depends on what you're going to use it for, but I'd recommend doing it now.

Soldato
I think it will be a cold spot but other than that ok.

Are you mechanically fixing it to the wall as effectively you've tied heavy(ish) insulation board to old plaster? I think they do it for fire risk etc also.
I might tie it in, the sheets on the left are "sitting" on joists so I have no concerns about it falling off. It is sand and cement plaster so its a right bugger to remove, you can't even nail it. I might put a couple in just to be safe though.

I'd insulate the back of the built in. I have a built in wardrobe on an external wall similar to that, initially didn't think I'd need to insulate but subsequently found issues with condensation in it. Entirely depends on what you're going to use it for, but I'd recommend doing it now.
Hmm yeah it will be clothes and I don't want mold. It won't have a door though, I've been told it'll be a curtain...

And do you put the pipes on the cold side or warm side?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I didnt have any pipes in mine, but I'd be more inclined to have them on the warm side if possible. Given the pipes look like PEX have you got enough slack to get behind, even if it was only 25mm it would make a difference.

As its a cupboard, if you want to take the easy option then use left over PIR board rather than insulated PB, significantly cheaper if you're not bothered about the foil face.

Soldato
Today's job was to make the washing line more accessible if things at the top stop working and a full length ladder with me bouncing around at the top is no longer as much fun as it once was :D

Tool time
jhbMKV2.jpg

Take that
o1RtGhB.jpg

Victory
yZ726g6.jpg

Caporegime
Smashed down the coving, stripped the walls, the dot and dab wall had a few loose bits so drilled a load of holes and filled them with foam adhesive to secure them and chased in the new socket. I did screw down that bit of plasterboard lol, for some reason an odd piece was used above an old cupboard and it sat a few mm proud of the wall so replaced.

I have no idea what was on the lower half of the wall but its made a right mess of it.

Looking better now. £335 to have the walls and ceiling skimmed, well worth it imho.

Soldato
In the knapsack gang :D

Think my brother gets his tomorrow :D

Mind and tighten all the connection as they come supplied loosened (dunno if thats to extend the life of the o-rings or something):

• One on the top of the pump (bit that goes up and down)
  • One on the end of the hose as it enters handle
  • One on the other end of the handle where the rigid pipe comes out
  • One on the end of the rigid pipe where you fix the nozzle
  • Test it with some tap water to see if they need tightened more
I say this as there are a few reviews saying they leak but it turns out they forgot to tighten them up :cry:

Last edited:
Associate
Great thread! Recently I've spent my weekends building some decking in front of my man cave. I wasn't going to attempt it myself but after watching a load of YouTube videos I decided to give it a go! Not quite finished but at least you can walk on it now.

1.png

2.png
3.png

I've also just got a decent set of ladders so at the weekend I cleaned out the house gutters. Scraped my hands to bits but hey it needed doing :)

Caporegime
Think my brother gets his tomorrow :D

Mind and tighten all the connection as they come supplied loosened (dunno if thats to extend the life of the o-rings or something):

• One on the top of the pump (bit that goes up and down)
  • One on the end of the hose as it enters handle
  • One on the other end of the handle where the rigid pipe comes out
  • One on the end of the rigid pipe where you fix the nozzle
  • Test it with some tap water to see if they need tightened more
I say this as there are a few reviews saying they leak but it turns out they forgot to tighten them up :cry:
Guys he's worried about us all leaving crap reviews and harming his commission.

Back
Top Bottom