When are you going fully electric?

Man of Honour
They introduced a new low-end, e.g. Vauxhall Adams, Ford KAs, Suzuki Altos. It is mid-market with the Fiesta...

None of these cars appear to be available any more?

Which Vauxhall is lower end than the Corsa from the current range?

Hyundai still offer the i10 but it's just £2000 less than a Corsa and has not much other competition in the market anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
None of these cars appear to be available any more?

Which Vauxhall is lower end than the Corsa from the current range?

Hyundai still offer the i10 but it's just £2000 less than a Corsa and has not much other competition in the market anyway.
Haha yeah it prompted me to go and check out Ford. Their cheapest car is now the Puma; I hadn't realised Ford had also binned the KA!

Basically Sandero, i10 or bust it seems.

Soldato
There are a few others like the Twingo, MG 3 that come to mind.

But just because it’s the lowest end car they offer, doesn’t make it low end, by the same logic the 1 series and A class is also low end.

At the end of the day, the European manufacturers have largely binned off their cheapest nastiest models as they made no money on them and raised their game on their bigger hatchbacks to take the competition to the likes of VW who traditionally occupied that mid range.

Even the manufacturers from asia are raising their game on the stuff they bring to Europe these days.

Last edited:
Soldato
Who said anything about a duster?

Last time I checked the Sandero was a hatchback… yup, it still is… The Spring isn’t a patch on the Corsa either.

A delightful post as ever…

You said Dacia, didnt specify a model did you then get all choked up replying cos im supposed to read your mind. You ever stopped to read what you post after?

PS i do. I know im not here to delight either.

Spring is barely a car frankly! Like bare minimum viable car.

Associate
My car lease is due for renewal in a few months and looking to go electric, free charging at work, for me I feel ok going electric on a 3 year lease but I doubt I would buy one to keep. As others have pointed out it seems a lot of companies are not committed due to low sales and infrastructure. I always thought it would go from large engine small electric moving towards larger electric smaller engine as a backup

Associate
My car lease is due for renewal in a few months and looking to go electric, free charging at work, for me I feel ok going electric on a 3 year lease but I doubt I would buy one to keep. As others have pointed out it seems a lot of companies are not committed due to low sales and infrastructure. I always thought it would go from large engine small electric moving towards larger electric smaller engine as a backup

The public infrastructure issues are not close to as bad as the media make out - you charge at home 99% of the time. I’ve had one tricky experience in 5 years (had to wait 15 mins, and that was 2 years ago, no issues since). There’s 3x more public charge points today than there were in 2020, and nearly 50% more than there were 1 year ago.

I’d not rely on charging at work - home charging is so cheap it’s practically free, and it’s way more convenient than fighting over work charging spots. My office has 40 chargers and people book them 4 weeks in advance to get £4 of free electricity!

Last edited:
Soldato
You said Dacia, didnt specify a model did you then get all choked up replying cos im supposed to read your mind. You ever stopped to read what you post after?

Nice try at a not so subtle row back when it was you who were posting the not so subtle put downs. You could have just asked which model instead of what you posted.

At the end of the day, the whole Dacia range is low end, it doesn't matter which model, every car under the Vauxhall brand objectively superior on both features and fit/finish by some margin. There really isn't any more to it than that.

Last edited:
Associate
The public infrastructure issues are not close to as bad as the media make out - you charge at home 99% of the time. I’ve had one tricky experience in 5 years (had to wait 15 mins, and that was 2 years ago, no issues since). There’s 3x more public charge points today than there were in 2020, and nearly 50% more than there were 1 year ago.

I’d not rely on charging at work - home charging is so cheap it’s practically free, and it’s way more convenient than fighting over work charging spots. My office has 40 chargers and people book them 4 weeks in advance to get £4 of free electricity!
I guess I have never really looked or noticed them.

Soldato
My car lease is due for renewal in a few months and looking to go electric, free charging at work, for me I feel ok going electric on a 3 year lease but I doubt I would buy one to keep.

Why does the method of ownership effect your usage? Other than saving a few quid a week on charging, I assume you aren't fortunate to have a drive or fixed parking location?
As others have pointed out it seems a lot of companies are not committed due to low sales and infrastructure

Low sales? 16% of total new registered cars are BEV's that's hardly low. Other than a bit of stagnation due to the shifting market conditions, there were 315k BEV's registered in 2023, and presently there are over 1.1 million on the UK roads. As for the infrastructure, that has already been answered the acceleration in growth is almost exponential.

I always thought it would go from large engine small electric moving towards larger electric smaller engine as a backup

Have you thought about getting an extended test drive? a lot of manufactures will offer a whole day or even weekend loan, 100% worth doing for the new user. :)

Soldato
There are a few others like the Twingo, MG 3 that come to mind.

But just because it’s the lowest end car they offer, doesn’t make it low end, by the same logic the 1 series and A class is also low end.

At the end of the day, the European manufacturers have largely binned off their cheapest nastiest models as they made no money on them and raised their game on their bigger hatchbacks to take the competition to the likes of VW who traditionally occupied that mid range.

Even the manufacturers from asia are raising their game on the stuff they bring to Europe these days.

Just because they stick some toys in it doesn't make it not low end. The Corsa isn't great to drive, the controls feel pretty poor and overly assisted and it generally feels cheaply made, even compared to the old ones. They seem to be plagued with electrical issues now too (probably the French influence).

And yea I'd say the A class and 1 series are also pretty low end (bar the AMG and M, cars which look the same but aren't). The A class isn't even using Merc parts, it was made with Renault engines. They cheaped out so much they didn't even use their own stuff to make it!

Also the Twingo is actually quite fun to drive. It's under a ton which just makes everything very chuckable :D

Last edited:
Soldato
yes lot's of love for twingo in france - some pretty narrow streets in Marseilles & nice - you're not going to want to drive a 2m wide car down them -
the right tool for the city job, Nicole approves.

with uber announcement today sounds like the manufacturers have found a new outlets to satisy their 22% zev obligations
like fleet lease companies, offer nice new price reductions opaquely, and try and then control drip feed onto 2nd hand market without devaluing them too much,
how many hours a week would I need to commit to for a 'high end' ev6

Uber said the grants and discounts meant drivers could save up to £22,000 on a new EV. The cost of a high-end Kia EV6, for example, would be cut from £56,470.00 to £34,311.27 while a cheaper Kia Niro EV 2 would fall from £37,520.00 to £20,193.53.

Back
Top Bottom