Where do you buy your prescription glasses?

Associate
In the past when I wore glasses I would typically buy from Specsavers, but I'm thinking of buying them online - is there any places you would highly recommend?

Soldato
I got my current pair from Misterspex, over 2 years now. Probably due for an update but I have no problems.

Can order multiple pairs of frames for testing for free, 4 at a time and have a good selection of designer and non designer frames. Had no issues with them at all.

Cost just under £200 for designer frames and the lenses with full coatings, thinnest lenses etc that would have went to around £600 on the high street.

Before these I used smartbuyglasses which was also fine no problems, they just didn't have the frame I wanted the 2nd time :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I got my current pair from Misterspex, over 2 years now. Probably due for an update but I have no problems.

Can order multiple pairs of frames for testing for free, 4 at a time and have a good selection of designer and non designer frames. Had no issues with them at all.

Cost just under £200 for designer frames and the lenses with full coatings, thinnest lenses etc that would have went to around £600 on the high street.

Before these I used smartbuyglasses which was also fine no problems, they just didn't have the frame I wanted the 2nd time :)

Do you have just a regular prescription or did you go for the computer glasses?

Soldato
Do you have just a regular prescription or did you go for the computer glasses?
Mine was this so just single vision with the highest lens option and hydro coating added. Which worked quite well, still can tell it's there but less so now after so long.
Screenshot-20240520-010252-Chrome.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
Anyone a jerky boys fan?
Sol Rosenbergs glasses?

I still use Specsavers. The high street presence is too convenient. I can walk in and ask for minor adjustments, replacement cushion things and they do it with a smile. Plus all the women that work there are hot.
Cheap too...(Glasses not women)

Last edited:
Soldato
Specsavers last time. I lost a pair on my stag do and i have a strongish prescription (-5 & -7), luckily i had prescription sunglasses otherwise i would have been in a bad place.

Specsavers charted me £150, the pair of glasses i lost were £ 500 from a local independant optician. I had to ask the girl in specsavers to repeat the price when she first told me, could not believe it. The quality of the specsavers glasses is just as good as well.

Soldato
I am picking up a pair from Specsavers this morning for £90 - They are made for the distance from my eyes to PC -also they go dark in sunlight as I also use these for going in garden - My normal goto is more than twice the price. Only go there for my driving glasses.

Soldato
I've always stuck by Goggles4U. Got 2 pairs of prescription glasses with blue light filter and reactalite for about £80. As they normally have a silly 70% off sale or something, plus student discount.

Certainly not designer by any means but certainly fit the bill. I will concede one difficulty is shaping the arms. Although I have once broke an arm before and they sent me a whole replacement, frame and lenses for free.

I also have a massive bonce it seems, and previously Specsavers where I get my test only had a single frame that fit me. And they made me look a bit like a someone who rhymes with bonce. Have managed to find a good few to fit online.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I usually buy from SelectSpecs. The glasses are cheap, good quality and they don't charge for most coatings unlike Specsavers who charge a fortune for them. I am wearing a pair of computer orientated glasses with anti blue light lenses at this moment as I was previously suffering from headaches after spending more than a hour at the pc. The anti blue light lenses have worked a treat plus as they are a intermediate prescription I use them for gardening, DIY and working on the car as well. My normal glasses were also bought from SelectSpecs and I have seperate reading and distance glasses as I couldn't get on with bifocals. Never had any problems with them and the one time the receieved order was incorrect (down to me inputting the wrong values) they sent me a pre paid label to send them back and refunded me quickly.

Soldato
I bought my last pair (Hugo boss ones) a couple of years ago from a local optician and had a bad experience. They gave me the try on pair that had chipped paint and arm and when I finally got them to swap to a good pair the actual frames have been terrible. I've swapped both lens holding screws as they fell out and the paint has chipped really badly. They cost £285 too.

I've been saving up on Vitality to get £250 in my plans (only need 30 more points) then I'll be able to claim for a new pair but will probably buy from vision express as I've had no issues with them in the past.

Bought prescription ray ban sunglasses from glasses direct again a couple of years ago and they've been good but I bought transition lenses and if I could change them would get standard or Polaroid ones. They were still around £250 I think but are going strong.

Back
Top Bottom