Woocommerce Product search page

Associate
I've built a few shops for people using a template I had hacked about from an original. I have had to build a new template based on bootstrap to upgrade due to php deprecation. I have pretty much done what I need to do but I cannot for the life of me get the woocommerce product search results to display the products, its just displays the term but no link...

My other sites display everything as if you was just clicking on a category, with he product items coming with view item button.

If I search 'Mix', even with a woocommerce search plug in the out put is below.

It should look like this ...

There are two products with the term in with one of each of the above in title and description.

This is all it shows. Just plain text. Anyone have an idea if where I should be looking to sort this. I got it to work previously but at was at least 5 years ago since I needed to do it and I can't find out where or how I did it ! I deleted the search template to test and the same output without one.

Thorough research online has been useless as all the results suggest get a plugin for this that and the other, and no useful tutorials, which I used years ago to figure this out before.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Now it seems after all this the author said it only outputs a link and excerpt, and he isn't changing it due to other users who could mess up their setting which I totally accept.

I just need to be able to change the output myself for my own site using the existing files but I don't know where to start. Wasted about 3 days on this

The theme is Bootstrap Basic.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can help you. That theme is very very basic so it's likely your meant to be a decent coder to start on it..

The WordPress hierarchy for the search page is search.php and looking inside that it calls another file for each results call content-search.php, however in the theme this file does not exist, so it defaults to the text option..

You need to create that file and code the output you need, which will have the featured image, title etc into a card using bootstrap conventions..

This theme is crap, if your gona use Woocommerce then personally you should start with Storefront, which is setup directly for it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I can help you. That theme is very very basic so it's likely your meant to be a decent coder to start on it..

The WordPress hierarchy for the search page is search.php and looking inside that it calls another file for each results call content-search.php, however in the theme this file does not exist, so it defaults to the text option..

You need to create that file and code the output you need, which will have the featured image, title etc into a card using bootstrap conventions..

This theme is crap, if your gona use Woocommerce then personally you should start with Storefront, which is setup directly for it.
I have abandoned it competely. I stumbled upon understrap...sound a bit ooer, but it's actually pretty good and I can do all I want with it. It doesn't use the style.css sheet and I have had to bodge the child-theme.min.css file to do my changes. Once its all done and running I'll figure out how to set it up properly.

In the meantime my css inspectors have decided not to out put line numbers.. really useful with 17k on css. I literally just found out the one on firefox is working so that will speed me up.

Storefront was also tried but its a pain in the jacksy to alter.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want to work with css then I highly recommend that you use a theme that uses NPM (node package manager). They almost always include SCSS files (which are nested CSS) and you can build a minified css file with some much more ease.
Otherwise use VS code and get a few extensions like Prettifier that will colour code and sort the css for you.

I might be jumping the gun on your knowledge of development, I don't know, but it's the ways it's done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom