Xampp but for multiple computers with just 1 user

Years and years ago I used Dropbox so that I could have xampp installed on 2 devices, and work on a website locally on each device and the files always be up to do, however it had its downsides, especially when editing database stuff as this doesn't sync using Dropbox, I have to export the database and import on the other device each time.

Is there a better alternative now?

Soldato
I think with laragon you can do some basic syncing with Dropbox. Not tested syncing though.

Soldato
The best option would probably be to just get some proper web hosting for it? You can get hosting for <£5 per month.

Alternatively, use an online source control option (like GutHub or similar) and just sync the project on each computer you use.

Soldato
OP
I think with laragon you can do some basic syncing with Dropbox. Not tested syncing though.

Thanks will look into it.

The best option would probably be to just get some proper web hosting for it? You can get hosting for <£5 per month.

Alternatively, use an online source control option (like GutHub or similar) and just sync the project on each computer you use.

I have hosting for the actual website, but don't wish to be playing around with the files, even if it's a different set in another folder, just in case I mess something up and the actual website goes down as a result.

Does guthub solve the issue with mysql databases on different sites?

Soldato
OP
I guess one idea would be, is it possible to use xampp/laragon to connect to a mysql database that is on my paid for server? While working locally? As that's the biggest issue to sync over the database changes each time I switch device and to know if I'm the latest. If I can create a new database on the server theta for testing, and then locally connect to that, it'd solve the problem

Soldato
Does guthub solve the issue with mysql databases on different sites?
No. You could create update scripts and store them in the source control and run them on each database as a workaround. I don't think there would be any way of saving + syncronising the databses. There are database syncronisation methods available but none of that will work unless both databases are online at the same time and accessible over the network/internet.
I guess one idea would be, is it possible to use xampp/laragon to connect to a mysql database that is on my paid for server? While working locally? As that's the biggest issue to sync over the database changes each time I switch device and to know if I'm the latest. If I can create a new database on the server theta for testing, and then locally connect to that, it'd solve the problem
Yes, you can run a website locally with xampp and connect it to a remote database. Sometimes the hosting has it locked down so that the database is only accessible from the server running the website but they'll probably be able to configure it for you so you can connect to it.

Soldato
Mamp has their paid (£12.99 or included with Mamp Pro) Mamp Cloud (https://www.mamp.info/en/mamp-cloud/) feature which allows syncing (files + DB's) with Dropbox - works well as all-in-one type solution but it is arguably a tad expensive.

As others have said, remote DB access is doable although you want to make sure it's locked down (ideally only to accept your IP) and using complex passwords etc.

But thinking out aloud, if you sync (use SyncBack or something similar) the physical MySQL/MariaDB data/installation then in theory that should sync the databases; can't say i've tried it though.

Soldato
Download Xampp portable and put it on a USB flash drive. Sit at any computer, insert the USB flash drive and run Xampp.

Soldato
Run a server off a cheap Raspberry Pi or a £50 Dell Optiplex from eBay and build the projects over your home network.

Or build the projects from a subdomain on your hosting and deploy to the main site when you're ready.

Back
Top Bottom