Disabled couple snooped on and accused of fraud by the DWP

Soldato
OP
So PIP fraud is being used to attack disabled people, including using it as an excuse to go into people's bank accounts.

It's now come out from the DWP's own data that PIP fraud is statistically nearly ZERO! The main registered fraud is due to a disabled person having a change of circumstances ie if you're taken ill in hospital you're expected to drag yourself to the nearest phone to tell them of the change of circumstance. Don't be using a heart attack or stroke as an excuse for not informing them! :rolleyes: The DWP considers that fraud, even though you are still entitled to it and would immediately get it back once leaving hospital if you'd told them.

They are waiting for disabled people to trip up.

By their own records there is nearly zero fraud happening with PIP.

The other fraud is them repeatedly over paying people and then saying it's fraud because the person didn't immediately spot it and pay them back. I don't know about other people. But I'm not checking my account every day. I just assume the right money goes it. But it turns out if a person doesn't spot their mistake they are accused of fraud!

Commissario
So PIP fraud is being used to attack disabled people, including using it as an excuse to go into people's bank accounts.

It's now come out from the DWP's own data that PIP fraud is statistically nearly ZERO! The main registered fraud is due to a disabled person having a change of circumstances ie if you're taken ill in hospital you're expected to drag yourself to the nearest phone to tell them of the change of circumstance. Don't be using a heart attack or stroke as an excuse for not informing them! :rolleyes: The DWP considers that fraud, even though you are still entitled to it and would immediately get it back once leaving hospital if you'd told them.

The other fraud is them repeatedly over paying people and then saying it's fraud because the person didn't immediately spot it and pay them back. I don't know about other people. But I'm not checking my account every day. I just assume the right money goes it. But it turns out if a person doesn't spot their mistake they are accused of fraud!
The change of circumstances one is particularly nasty as IIRC unless you've officially given someone power of attorney and authorised them with the DWP to discuss your claim the DWP will often refuse to discuss it due to "GDPR", especially if you don't have all the details to hand.
And as you say when you're in hospital with a serious medical issue even if you're conscious you don't immediately think "got to to the DWP i'm here", let alone if you're incapable or unaware of what is going on.

IIRC the number you're meant to call to inform them isn't necessarily open all the time, and often has very long wait times just to make things more fun when you're ill and trying to keep them updated.

When my mother ended up being taken to the hospital when her Alzheimer's got too bad I remember it taking quite a long time to get through to the DWP on the day we legally had to inform them (we waited because there was at the time a period in which you didn't have to inform them* and we were waiting on more information from the hospital).

*IIRC 28 days because the DWP pay all disability benefits a month in arrears from memory.

Associate

They are able to go into people's accounts if they get child benefit or council tax discount. Which a lot of people don't know about. Why because it has been sold to public differently.

This is bigger than the majority of people understand.
Sleep walking into a 1984 state.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The DWP itself is under investigation.

The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC)* is looking at whether the department failed to make reasonable adjustments for people with learning disabilities or long-term mental health conditions, during health assessments for some benefits.

*This is a good example that shows who the ECHR helps the most, the British people. Don't fall for the anti immigrant ECHR rhetoric. If the government got rid of it we'd be the ones impacted most by removing our protections and ability to hold government organisations to account.

Soldato

It's now come out from the DWP's own data that PIP fraud is statistically nearly ZERO!

As someone you gave a good honest crack at getting PIP for my ulcerative colitis and got ZERO points, I can tell you getting PIP is like getting blood from a stone. I literally need to be half dead with half my organs removed to get any sum at all. I might try again in a couple of years as Labour loves throwing money away and my chances of getting it increases.

Associate
Well my family friend is a GP. His view is that it is too easy to get signed off. He said many are playing the system and making the lives of those with genuine mental health issues more difficult.

1. Tell your GP that you have a mental health problem (Anxiety / depression) You have a 93% chance of getting signed off, as they are not allowed to confront you / call you a liar.

2. Pay someone to complete a pip form on your behalf. People do this for a living surprisingly and know how to play the system. They usually charge £100-£600

Enjoy many benefits such as:

Free house / flat and rent paid.

Free new disability car (replaced every 2-3 years)

Free household repairs / maintenance

Blue badge

Have as many kids as you desire, without any financial constraints / concerns.

Council tax paid / heavily discounted

Discounted broadband

Free transport / taxis to take your kids to and from school.

Free school meals

Free school uniforms

Free prescriptions

I can understand why some of the younger generation find a lifestyle on benefits enticing. Especially if you working full time earning sub £30k. I mean you have to be on £50k+ to stand any chance of getting a mortgage these days…

Commissario
93% seems awfully specific so i assume you based that on something?
It does read very much Daily Mail.

Also the "free disability car" is an old one, given it's not exactly free as you give up most/all of your mobility component and that is IIRC harder to get than the "daily living" part especially for "mental health" issues (i'm surprised it wasn't described as a "free luxury car").

Last edited:
Associate
93% seems awfully specific so i assume you based that on something?
Well apparently he heard it on LBC radio, as the national figure. In his 12 years he has never refused to issue a sick note / refer someone. He said GP’s are afraid to challenge people, in case they are suspended / lose ability to practice.

Soldato
Well apparently he heard it on LBC radio, as the national figure. In his 12 years he has never refused to issue a sick note / refer someone. He said GP’s are afraid to challenge people, in case they are suspended / lose ability to practice.
So you're saying it's an anecdote, of an anecdote, of an anecdote a bit like Chinese whispers but you felt confident enough in it to repeat the claim?

Soldato
It does read very much Daily Mail.

Also the "free disability car" is an old one, given it's not exactly free as you give up most/all of your mobility component and that is IIRC harder to get than the "daily living" part especially for "mental health" issues (i'm surprised it wasn't described as a "free luxury car").
We took the money rather than the car.
The reduced council tax isn't a sure thing either, don't get that.
Free house neither, pay a portion of or mortgage but far from all.

Soldato
Well, not really because at his surgery you are 100% successful in getting a sick note.
So you've seen those records i assume? Or are you speaking from personal experience.

Not that the experience of a single surgery is indicative of the entire nation or anything, I'm just trying to establish what your evidence base is for your awfully specific claim of 93%.

Last edited:
Associate
So you've seen those records i assume? Or are you speaking from personal experience.

Not that the experience of a single surgery is indicative of the entire nation or anything, I'm just trying to establish what your evidence base is for your awfully specific claim of 93%.
No I haven’t seen any records, just his experience of 12 years as a GP at his surgery.

I agree one surgery doesn’t give overrule perspective. But I guess the only way to “test” would be for someone who doesn’t have any mental health issues to try. (Obviously I don’t condone fraud, so don’t)

Associate
Well my family friend is a GP. His view is that it is too easy to get signed off. He said many are playing the system and making the lives of those with genuine mental health issues more difficult.

1. Tell your GP that you have a mental health problem (Anxiety / depression) You have a 93% chance of getting signed off, as they are not allowed to confront you / call you a liar.

2. Pay someone to complete a pip form on your behalf. People do this for a living surprisingly and know how to play the system. They usually charge £100-£600

Blue badge

Discounted broadband

Free school meals

Free school uniforms

Free prescriptions

I can understand why some of the younger generation find a lifestyle on benefits enticing. Especially if you working full time earning sub £30k. I mean you have to be on £50k+ to stand any chance of getting a mortgage these days…
Welcome to the forum. Please do some research before making wildly inaccurate claims

You get some help with lots of things but it isn't free as you claiim.

Soldato
OP
I think a problem in the system that could be improved is when there are mental health support.

At the moment adult social care is pitiful. Having to wait months, sometimes years, for an initial appointment is dreadful.

Soldato

Blue badge

Discounted broadband

Free school meals

Free school uniforms

Free prescriptions

New member posts whisper of a whisper mini essay as first post.

Seems legit. I must believe every word then.

Soldato
No I haven’t seen any records, just his experience of 12 years as a GP at his surgery.
Or that he was just putting you at ease by agreeing with a subject you broached with him, only way to know would be if you verified what he told you before repeating it.
I agree one surgery doesn’t give overrule perspective. But I guess the only way to “test” would be for someone who doesn’t have any mental health issues to try. (Obviously I don’t condone fraud, so don’t)
Or you could just verify if what someone told you is true or not before inadvertently being guilty of spreading what maybe misinformation.

Commissario
Welcome to the forum. Please do some research before making wildly inaccurate claims

You get some help with lots of things but it isn't free as you claiim.
Yup things like "household repairs" are IIRC done if you're eligible for several of the income related benefits and it's basically a necessity to keep your house habitable or your disability requires that adaptation. And it's not exactly free, they put a marker on the house so you cannot sell or rent it out for at least 7 years.
And most of those things are related to the actual disability, for example they won't pay for your new kitchen unless you need major adaptations and it's the only way to keep you in the house, but they might pay for a new stairlift or bathroom to be converted to a wetroom, or something like a roof repair.

Someone, somewhere realised that if someone owned a property it was probably cheaper long term to help keep them in a property they owned and was already largely suitable than force a family with a disabled (or elderly person) into a new home that would need adaptations again.

My parents had to get one of those grants when my mother had her failed hip op 20+ years ago, basically my parents didn't at the time have the money to pay for a stairlift and the wetroom conversion and the occupational therapist required to be fitted, and any other property they moved into would have been smaller/less suitable and required all the work that my father and I had already done* to be redone as well as the wetroom and likely stairlift (not many houses come with a full wetroom bathroom), and the council just did (without it being charged on the house) several other minor jobs as they were "standard recommendations" by the occupational therapist that basically took a council staffer a couple of hours.

*For example we'd already put in a slope at the front, fitted handrails inside and out, raised the path at the back and put in much bigger and shallower steps so my mum could get in and out the back door more easily (the council replaced our backdoor handrail with one that met their standard) and allowed the wheelchair to be got into and out of the house by the back door and built a custom shed for my mother to park her electric mobility (that we paid for not "free" or "motability") scooter in for storage and charging (I set the shed up with electrics and automatic lighting inside and out).

Back
Top Bottom