1930s Semi Refurb - Part 6 of ... (Edition: New Front Door/Porch Insulation)

Soldato
OP
So yesterday saw stars align and I could get a real shift in...

I had intended all along 100mm insulation, and by chance I had literally just enough left over 50mm PIR from the loft job that I could do 50mm PIR + 50mm tileboard.

XtWc264.jpg

The plasterboard adhesive was a PITA to work with. It needed to be schmushed(? is that a word?) to bond to the EcoTerm or wall, so the fact it sprayed out made no sense.

I decided to mitre the tileboard so I had no foam to worry about render slipping off of.

Finished up having to make some bits up; but broadly satisfied.

klRo2RN.jpg

I also put a 100mm PIR slab on the roof to try and stop the room above cooking/freezing. I think I'll baton and use marine ply for the roof in there.

Todays plan is either continue the living room job sanding, or maybe grab some thin set and close all the joins up with skrim tape.

I haven't used any mechanical fixings - it feels absolutely rock solid - I may try and get away with it, giving my material of choice may be 2mm of render or something.

Edit: unfortunately the reveal on the left had a spacer which I didn't spot until it was way too late. So the door now looks a fraction off centre but only if you are searching for it... Really I should have grabbed some 30mm for the reveal but its acceptable and super insulated which was the main requirement.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That's gonna be a tight one for your keys :eek: Nice work though! Glad you're only using the cheap levels as gluing wedges ;)
Yeah I said to myself over and over and over that I should be doing something different --- its just about passable but certainly not "proper". If I had paid someone I'd be cross :D

In my head I had 30mm Marmox, not 50mm... but turns out I had ordered 50!

Edit: and of course the pic makes it look worse than it is.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I said to myself over and over and over that I should be doing something different --- its just about passable but certainly not "proper". If I had paid someone I'd be cross :D

You won't be complaining when you're warmer, less damp, and the porch is all neat. It's so easy to get hung up on "not perfect" when you do it yourself, despite generally when you move into a house it's COVERED in imperfections. Moving out of my last place after 11 years renting there, I realised the state the walls were in. Didn't notice while I was busy er, living in it!

Soldato

Doubtful a professional would have done any better. You'd be £1000 lighter also!

Soldato
OP
Looks good from here... did you use corner beads? I tend to give them a water down to get them really neat but honestly it looks good! Can't wait to see if with a lick of paint! :)
I keep tickling it with the foam float and spray water but it doesn't seem to be getting drastically better than 70% (which is well within my tolerances!). Going to stop playing with it now.... will hit it with some 40 grit to remove lose surface grit and paint.

The corners have skrim tape and a decent build up. It's inevitable I will glue some decorative trim on the bottom 70% for the bumps etc it suffers.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So funny story... I bought a tin of premium valspar for a fiver. I hadn't really any idea what colour it was. Anyway, searching for paint, I came across it and decided to give it a go. I am not 100% sure at the moment, as it looks like a crude colour match to the door itself - but not outragously ugly/stand out.

It was a first coat I really laid on, so the render is now less like sand paper and more like an elephants knee texture wise. I'm nervous to do much else with it as I'll end up sanding the lot smooth and create a difficult problem of visible low/high spots.

I'll grab some tiles at the weekend and get the bottom knocked out I think.

1GCbDBf.jpg

Soldato
OP
Got any finished pics of this?
Dude there has hardly been any time since my last update :rolleyes: ( :cry: 8 months )

No I timed out on weather, and then my plan of action was to finish the bathroom to encourage me to get the tiling gear out. The plan is still to tile the bottom half at some point.

The insulation has made a massive difference though. The cold spot has totally gone. And the render is coping really well (given the door is very heavy on a slam lock, I was a bit worried).

Back
Top Bottom