6th Generation Appreciation Thread (PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Dreamcast)

Soldato
I had the PS2, which was a massive upgrade from my played to death PS1. Had no interest in the Xbox and had already given up on PC gaming by then. Had my PS2 years and played it loads. Got my first flat not long after and ran cat 5 cables under the floor boards when I moved in (pre wifi) into the back bedroom where I planned to set up my PC and console.
A lad at work was going through a divorce and liquidising his assets. Sold me his Xbox for about 80 quid with Halo which I completed but didn't love, didn't do much else with it after and it lay gathering dust.
Got a PS2 network adapter one Christmas, I wanted it with SOCOM but somehow wires got crossed and I got Rainbow Six 3 for Xbox instead. :confused: I don't actually remember if I had any network compatible games for the PS at the time but it wouldn't have mattered much as I couldn't even get it to work anyway. It was a few days after Christmas and I was in the pub with my mate and he was telling me how awesome his new Xbox was with R6 3. When I got home I plugged the network lead into the back of it and the whole thing came alive, downloaded itself a new dashboard and launched me online. It was amazing, for the first time online gaming I felt I was on a level playing field. Changed everything for me, we played RB6 every weekend, 4 player terrorist hunt, absolutely loved it. Been an Xbox fan boy ever since. Bought every new console on launch. Always ended up with a new PS too but bought them when convenient rather than pre ordered.

Soldato
I’ve got a transparent smoked case to swap over for my DC, it will then look the same as my ‘This is Cool Saturn’. I’m just waiting for my Mode to turn up. I’ll sort the battery and fan in the process. I’m also contemplating going HDMI in the process, but it’s quite an outlay.

I’ve got a new, boxed JAP DC also, not sure what I’ll do with that, as the Mode will make it redundant.

Soldato
Very nice Joe. Do you feel the HDMI mods are really worth it? I mean, it’s not like the standard output is poor, especially if going via an upscaler.

Who did you get to fit them?
I can see a slight difference between 480p scart from RGC and the HDMI mods. Mainly with colours, especially white (not sure if it is just my setup). Digital Foundry did a video ages ago on the HDMI mod and you could see a difference with colours being crushed, with detail being lost. It will be interesting to see what difference RGCs 480p component cables make in terms of colour reproduction, I should receive mine later this month. When I get some time, I will look to upload a comparision between the 3/4.

With regard to is it worth it, probably not :). In a pre-RetroTINK 5X world, the HDMI mod was definitely worth it though. I like the thought of having one console that I can move about without having to take the RetroTINK. I do think these HDMI mods will really shine when the RT4K releases, as that will accept HDMI input and will likely give the best image.

I purchased the HW2 mod as I thought it was a drop in mod. Nievely ignoring the fact that it needs to be soldered :D. So, I thought that I may as well get it installed, I only received it back yesterday. Had a quick play about, but was having issues with random resets (which I have now fixed). I quite like the additional features that were previoualy exclusive to the RT5X (1440p / Better Scanline options / Motion Adaptive etc).

My original HDMI mod was purchased from eBay, but the installer was Dave from Oldskoolconsoles. The HW2 mod was installed by Will (Will's console mods). I would recommend both, excellent service.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks Joe, an interesting read, appreciate you taking the time to respond. A comparison with the component cables would be very interesting indeed, if you manage to find the time.

I’m using RGC’s scart cable via my OSSC and I think the display is pretty good. No doubt comparing it to the DCDigital output would highlight improvements. It would however be great to have just a plug and play solution, as you mention. If it had been a simple drop in mod, I’d probably have it already.

Cool, I was looking at getting Will to do it actually, he seems to cover most mods for a broad range of consoles. Might get him to do my NeoGeo SD loader also. I’m now 90% convinced I’ll go down the DCDigital route, I have already invested in the Mode, so might as well go all in…

There is a nagging thought at the back of my mind - when I look at all my retro consoles, then my upscalers and cables, then take into account all the mods and finally the ODEs etc, I’m pretty deep into this retro money pit and they just keep releasing more mods. Which is great and all, but I might have to draw a line somewhere :D

Soldato
Thanks Joe, an interesting read, appreciate you taking the time to respond. A comparison with the component cables would be very interesting indeed, if you manage to find the time.

I’m using RGC’s scart cable via my OSSC and I think the display is pretty good. No doubt comparing it to the DCDigital output would highlight improvements. It would however be great to have just a plug and play solution, as you mention. If it had been a simple drop in mod, I’d probably have it already.

Cool, I was looking at getting Will to do it actually, he seems to cover most mods for a broad range of consoles. Might get him to do my NeoGeo SD loader also. I’m now 90% convinced I’ll go down the DCDigital route, I have already invested in the Mode, so might as well go all in…

There is a nagging thought at the back of my mind - when I look at all my retro consoles, then my upscalers and cables, then take into account all the mods and finally the ODEs etc, I’m pretty deep into this retro money pit and they just keep releasing more mods. Which is great and all, but I might have to draw a line somewhere :D
No problem, if you have any questions or requests, I can try and help :).

I find the beauty of ODEs are what can also draw you further into the pit, as you can stop collecting expensive games and use the money else where.

Personally, I think most value to be had will be scalers and the RetroTINK 5X is possibly the best on the market at present, but it is costly compared to the OSSC. It is a shame the newer OSSC was delayed due to part shortages, as it would be nice to have more modern options available.

If you want best value for money, I would probably invest in the RetroTINK 5X or hold out for the 4K version :).

I will try to put a comparision together when I get those cables, though it won't be flashy :).

Soldato
No problem, if you have any questions or requests, I can try and help :).

I find the beauty of ODEs are what can also draw you further into the pit, as you can stop collecting expensive games and use the money else where.

Personally, I think most value to be had will be scalers and the RetroTINK 5X is possibly the best on the market at present, but it is costly compared to the OSSC. It is a shame the newer OSSC was delayed due to part shortages, as it would be nice to have more modern options available.

If you want best value for money, I would probably invest in the RetroTINK 5X or hold out for the 4K version :).

I will try to put a comparision together when I get those cables, though it won't be flashy :).

Cheers bud, I’ll let you know how it goes.

I’d been hovering on the RT5X, while waiting for the OSSC Pro, but who knows when that’ll come out now. And now there’s mention of the RT 4K…

You’re probably right about the value option, but it only works if I then don’t go and buy the 4K version AND the DCDigital anyway ;) I’ll think about it and look forward to your comparison in the meantime.

Soldato
Cheers bud, I’ll let you know how it goes.

I’d been hovering on the RT5X, while waiting for the OSSC Pro, but who knows when that’ll come out now. And now there’s mention of the RT 4K…

You’re probably right about the value option, but it only works if I then don’t go and buy the 4K version AND the DCDigital anyway ;) I’ll think about it and look forward to your comparison in the meantime.
Hey mate, I did a comparison. Nothing fancy! Captured about 10 seconds each using RGB, Component, and the new DCHDMI using 1920x1440 / 2560x1440p as output resolution.

I would say the new DCHDMI absolutely blows both out of the water, and there is barely any difference between Scart and Component. RGB looked darker, with Component being a bit brighter. Personally, I preferred scart, but this is an age-old debate amongst the retro community.

I felt the picture was slightly blurry with the RetroTINK 5X with these analogue inputs, which is to be expected. However, in terms of value, the TINK is awesome, and I would highly recommend it (depending on the price of the 4K version). I do think these HDMI mods will be even better using the RetroTINK 4K.

I would like to do some more comparisons when I get some time, maybe something a bit more fancy. However, I am not sure where to start or what game(s) to use. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey mate, I did a comparison. Nothing fancy! Captured about 10 seconds each using RGB, Component, and the new DCHDMI using 1920x1440 / 2560x1440p as output resolution.

I would say the new DCHDMI absolutely blows both out of the water, and there is barely any difference between Scart and Component. RGB looked darker, with Component being a bit brighter. Personally, I preferred scart, but this is an age-old debate amongst the retro community.

I felt the picture was slightly blurry with the RetroTINK 5X with these analogue inputs, which is to be expected. However, in terms of value, the TINK is awesome, and I would highly recommend it (depending on the price of the 4K version). I do think these HDMI mods will be even better using the RetroTINK 4K.

I would like to do some more comparisons when I get some time, maybe something a bit more fancy. However, I am not sure where to start or what game(s) to use. Any suggestions?
Hey Joe, thanks for finding time to do the comparison. Interesting to see there is little difference between RGB and Component. Sadly I think I’m struggling to see the improvements with the DCHDMI, but I’ll try it on a bigger screen when I get home. From what you say however, I think you’ve helped me make my mind up to go the DCHDMI route!

Coincidentally my Mode finally turned up yesterday… I now just need to get some other mods done and I’ll be all set!

Have you tried the HQ2X mode? That was supposed to be available via an update and was supposed to smooth edges and I think filter out dithering.

Perhaps some of the more vibrant games might highlight the improved colours of the DCHDMI; Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventure are two that come to mind :)

Soldato
Hey Joe, thanks for finding time to do the comparison. Interesting to see there is little difference between RGB and Component. Sadly I think I’m struggling to see the improvements with the DCHDMI, but I’ll try it on a bigger screen when I get home. From what you say however, I think you’ve helped me make my mind up to go the DCHDMI route!

Coincidentally my Mode finally turned up yesterday… I now just need to get some other mods done and I’ll be all set!

Have you tried the HQ2X mode? That was supposed to be available via an update and was supposed to smooth edges and I think filter out dithering.

Perhaps some of the more vibrant games might highlight the improved colours of the DCHDMI; Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventure are two that come to mind :)
Funny enough, I actually looked at both of those and took some captures. However, I've since realised the RT had output a different ratio at 1440p compared to the DCHDMI, so I would like to do those again.

I used the smoothing filter available on both for the captures (DCHDMI HW2 has FXR). I don't believe there is a HQ2X mode on HW2, but I am fairly sure it is on the original DCHDMI mod, so I can look to do that at 1080p.

The biggest difference for me was clarity, if you look at the writing on the left with the open and close times should definitely see a difference :).

I'll be interested in how your DC turns out once finished :).

Soldato
That’s cool that you have both hardware models to compare. The review I read must have been HW rev 1.

Did you mod the PSU in either of your DCs? I don’t have any issues with mine so am reluctant to mess with it. I think the Mode install is such that it doesn’t disrupt airflow in the case and so doesn’t need a PSU mod.

I need to do the fan mod, the battery and the fuse. Probably best I do these before installing the Mode or they’ll never happen.

I’ve got my Laser Bear bracket already and a 1TB SSD to use for games. After that I just need to hide from the family for a week to play all the games!

Soldato
That’s cool that you have both hardware models to compare. The review I read must have been HW rev 1.

Did you mod the PSU in either of your DCs? I don’t have any issues with mine so am reluctant to mess with it. I think the Mode install is such that it doesn’t disrupt airflow in the case and so doesn’t need a PSU mod.

I need to do the fan mod, the battery and the fuse. Probably best I do these before installing the Mode or they’ll never happen.

I’ve got my Laser Bear bracket already and a 1TB SSD to use for games. After that I just need to hide from the family for a week to play all the games!
I didn't expect to buy another DCHDMI, but when HW2 launched, I thought it was a straight swap. Fomo got the better of me :). Turns out there is some soldering required (from what I could tell).

My DC with the MODE has the original PSU, but my other with GDEmu clone has a Pico. I did have a Redream PSU until recently, but since installing the DCHDMI HW2, I started having a lot of issues and in hindsight, I believe it caused a few inaccuracies during gameplay (disappearing textures on Crazy Taxi). I replaced with a Pico I got from 8BITMODS and it has been perfect since.

The MODE can operate without the 12V Rail getting too hot. The GDEmu can run quite hot with it.

I'd recommending keeping the stock PSU. Once your DC is complete it'll be awesome!

I am looking to pick up a broadband adapter at somepoint, almost pointless but I would like to play some online games.

Soldato
I didn't expect to buy another DCHDMI, but when HW2 launched, I thought it was a straight swap. Fomo got the better of me :). Turns out there is some soldering required (from what I could tell).

My DC with the MODE has the original PSU, but my other with GDEmu clone has a Pico. I did have a Redream PSU until recently, but since installing the DCHDMI HW2, I started having a lot of issues and in hindsight, I believe it caused a few inaccuracies during gameplay (disappearing textures on Crazy Taxi). I replaced with a Pico I got from 8BITMODS and it has been perfect since.

The MODE can operate without the 12V Rail getting too hot. The GDEmu can run quite hot with it.

I'd recommending keeping the stock PSU. Once your DC is complete it'll be awesome!

I am looking to pick up a broadband adapter at somepoint, almost pointless but I would like to play some online games.

Great, I'll just leave the PSU as is then. Ta.

Online games, what like Unreal Tournament? Oh man, that takes me back!

Back
Top Bottom