Advice on coworker's smell

Soldato
Not a great subject but what's the best way I can advise one of my guys that they are quite pungent? They are a very heavy smoker and I will go out on a limb and say the personal hygiene likely isn't of the highest standards.

It doesn't warrant a whole HR circus but I am the line manager for someone who has somewhat of an acrid and noticable presence in the office. I don't want to be harsh or insensitive but I do need a way of constructively bringing this up.

Any thoughts before I buy a bag of pegs?

Soldato
I used to work (and still remain friends) with someone like this. It's still to the point where you can tell they've been in a room even when they're not there

When you work out what to say, do let me know!

Soldato
When I had a look in our cleaners mini office they had a notice pinned up that headphones and excessive BO was not acceptable :p

Toss a coin between being subtle or blunt in private that they're bringing a strong smell into the office and could they work on it.

Soldato
Leave a can of Lynx on his desk.

I know someone that did this and got "made redundant" a month later. I'm not joking. They had been at the company years. The person complained and took time off sick due to the stress/embarrassment as genuinely had no idea that they stunk. They ended up paying off the person who stunk as well!

Hence I say speak to HR.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I know someone that did this and got "made redundant" a month later. I'm not joking. They had been at the company years. The person complained and took time off sick due to the stress/embarrassment as genuinely had no idea that they stunk. They ended up paying off the person who stunk as well!

Hence I say speak to HR.

Fair point.

Go a bit more classy and use a Dove deodorant.

Soldato
Stick a notice board up near to their desk. Then put up a A4 size notice in capital letters.

IT HAS COME TO THE ATTENTION OF MANAGEMENT THAT SOMEONE AROUND HERE STINKS.
PLEASE HAVE A SHOWER BEFORE YOU COME TO WORK FOR GOODNESS SAKE MAN.

Soldato
Just tell him but go about it like this

“something is stinking here, can you smell that?”

“No” - hopefully someone else is there that can confirm there is indeed a smell. That always helps.

“Aw it’s disgusting, it’s not me is it?”

Then you say “I’m not being funny but there a funny smell coming from you you’ve not stood in **** have you?”

Caporegime
Not a great subject but what's the best way I can advise one of my guys that they are quite pungent? They are a very heavy smoker and I will go out on a limb and say the personal hygiene likely isn't of the highest standards.

I think the smoking you can do so much more easily, just be direct as it's not completely personal to them but a byproduct of their habit.

I guess if they were a light smoker then just asking them to do it at lunch and leave a break before coming back into the office would be fine but obvs if they're a heavy smoker then presumably they're popping out at other times during the work day to get a nicotine fix, you just have to tell them - I can still smell the fags on you, take a mint or something pls.

For any BO issues - are they wearing the same clothes more than one day at a time or something? Shouldn't really have BO issues in an office if you showered that morning and you have fresh clothes on but I guess you could suggest some deodorant.

Associate
Come across a similar thing years ago, when I was working in a well known fast food restaurant.

Full time member of staff there absolutely stunk rotten, nails on his hands were always dirty, here's the kicker of it, he always stunk of wee wee.

We had staff who refused to be trained by him, people who wouldnt want to work near him, even had a few customers mention a smell coming from the individual.
We all knew it, the store manager told him to take better care of himself etc etc.

His excuse was Cats indoors weeing where they wanted and him leaving his clothes out.
Reality was, he had a problem with his bladder.

Did he get it sorted? Nope, I went to uni, he left and I saw him about 5 years later working at another known food restaurants, even from the counter to where I was standing, I could still smell him.

What to do, the only thing yo can do, be a blunt but respectful human and ask if everything is okay at home first, if theres any concerns or issues with hygiene or cleaning clothes etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom