Air fryers

Soldato
I searched and couldnt see a specific thread for Air Fryers. Mods, please move to 'la-cuisine' I didnt see that sub

We bought a Tower T17023 Air Fryer (2.2l) the other day, primarily for its compact size but have since returned it and bought a Ninja Foodi Mini Oven [SP101UK] 8-in-1 Flip Mini Oven, Air Fryer, Bake, Grill, Silver.
When we looked at some of the Tefal and Ninja specific air fryers they were quite bulky and the Foodi mini over also folds up when not in use.

Any recommendations on good things to air fry and who has one?

Pics below

Tower
s0oWi53h.jpg

Tower could fit 14 eggs
LhU69byh.jpg

Ninja
bjAZ5LXh.jpg

U2ng94Uh.jpg

spnkrk9h.jpg

cPY32kBh.jpg

Caporegime
Air Fried eggs are pretty awful.

Chicken Wings are delicious though. As are chips. Even frozen chips! But home made chips in the air fryer, isn't far away from being deep fried.

Soldato
OP
Air Fried eggs are pretty awful.

Chicken Wings are delicious though. As are chips. Even frozen chips! But home made chips in the air fryer, isn't far away from being deep fried.
Already done air fried (boiled) eggs, they were great, took 8 mins in total and easier to peel. How were you doing them? All I did was preheat for 1 min at 200 then put 2 uncooked eggs in on 135c for 7 mins. Eggs were just to show size example by the way, not cook 20 eggs :D

A whole banana was great air fried, just made it like a banana fritter but without all the unhealthyness

Soldato
OP
Is the dehydrate any good?

I'm thinking jerky etc

But a lot of fruits and vegetables are really nice as well.
I've not tried it yet but imagine it is. How cost effective it is over buying dehydrated fruit and jerky though is another thing.
In the booklet it has herbs at 4-6 hours at 60c, fruits at 6-8 hours at 60c. meat, poultry and fish and at 70c for 5-7 hours with turkey jerky at 5-8 hours.

Caporegime
Why would you air fry an egg? The whites and yolk cooks at about 65-70c. If you blast it at 200c by the time that heat travels into the center into the yolk the white would be way too cooked. A bit like cooking a steak on a really hot pan you end up searing the outside, except you are doing it to the whites, but you are not frying it on the pan so without that maillard reaction with a bit of oil, the egg shell becomes the heat plate.

I’ve done things like Cookies, Bread, Chicken Wings, pork belly.

Soldato
OP
Why would you air fry an egg? The whites and yolk cooks at about 65-70c. If you blast it at 200c by the time that heat travels into the center into the yolk the white would be way too cooked. A bit like cooking a steak on a really hot pan you end up searing the outside, except you are doing it to the whites, but you are not frying it on the pan so without that maillard reaction with a bit of oil, the egg shell becomes the heat plate.

I’ve done things like Cookies, Bread, Chicken Wings, pork belly.
You dont blast it at 200c.

"All I did was preheat for 1 min at 200 then put 2 uncooked eggs in on 135c for 7 mins" The two eggs turned out perfect (runny, not horrible hard boiled) and easier to peel.

Soldato
OP
You don't air fry eggs lol
Really? - https://cookathomemom.com/air-fryer-eggs/

Just a note that this Ninja mini oven is powerful! The Tower Air fryer cooked a couple of small bits of bread in 15 minutes on 200c perfectly (inc pre heat)
I stuck 7 small pieces of bread on 200c for 10 minutes (inc pre heat) in the Ninja and it came out like charcoal :D Guess 3-5 mins is enough or a lower Air fry heat (or use grill/toast setting)

Should have known really as the Tower air fryer was 1000w, the Ninja is 2400w

I haz 4090!
Don
@~Divine~Wind~ @EVH @montymint

Now this is a thread!

As mentioned, wings are absolutely amazing, complete next level and actually rival the BBQ in terms of awesome. They make frozen chips god-like. Breaded fish is crispy on the outside and super flaky inside, and they defy all physics when cooking baked spuds in there. I really want to try a full chicken at some point. Basically anything you’d normally put in the oven will be amazeballs in there.

I think a couple of the tagged weirdos also do things like cheese on toast in there.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Sausages are great too but they make a right mess of the fryer
Air fried sausages are too dry for me. Much prefer a proper fried sausage.

A nice dish to try however is chicken thighs with the skin on (bone removed) covered in Worcester sauce, soy and spices. The skin goes lovely and crispy whilst the meat is cooked to perfection.

Or… air fry some chopped potatoes (in the shape of wedges) for 20 mins at a high heat, leave them cool then hit them again at 15 mins on a low heat. Double cooked chips with some dunking sauce ftw.

I basically only use my oven now if it’s physically too large to fit in the air fryer. In fact, due to a balls up Amazon sent me two fryers :D

Can't type for toffee
Don
@~Divine~Wind~ @EVH @montymint

Now this is a thread!

As mentioned, wings are absolutely amazing, complete next level and actually rival the BBQ in terms of awesome. They make frozen chips god-like. Breaded fish is crispy on the outside and super flaky inside, and they defy all physics when cooking baked spuds in there. I really want to try a full chicken at some point. Basically anything you’d normally put in the oven will be amazeballs in there.

I think a couple of the tagged weirdos also do things like cheese on toast in there.

Hahahah

Yep absolutely anything that will fit gets chucked in! Take your normal cooking time and half it seems to work for most things.
With the recent price changes on gas n leccy the small outlay on an air fryer will likely save you money.

As above, Cheese on toast in the Air fryer is absolutely immense, jacket tatties too - I wasn't expecting them to be that good lol

Any frozen foods really do cook vastly better than in the normal oven tbh, even simple things like nuggets - no soggy side lol
No carefully flipping stuff over or owt, pull the basket halfway thru cooking n give it a quick jiggle.
We did battered fish goujons in ours and being completely honest I'd be more than happy with those over a chippy tea.

We originally had a little phillips one, great at the time but was pretty small inside, and a proper ballache to clean.

We got this one (well the 5.5L version)
It has enough room to cook for all 4 of us and is a doddle to clean.

Just be wary of those air fryers with the rotating paddles.

The manual for mine had all sorts of oddities in it like muffins and cakes Ive not down owt like that yet tho

EDIT: Ooh aye fakeaway chicken shwarma goes really well and I made some utterly fantastic chicken Tikka (Used lazziza premade marinade) better than some takeaways Ive had

Like @EVH ours has pretty much taken the oven out of action unless its physically too big (and if its not BBQ able)

Back
Top Bottom