Ali in his prime versus Tyson in his prime

Soldato
Been the cause of many interesting arguments at work. I've always maintained that Tyson will knock him out in 2-3 rounds. Whadda ya guys think? Who is REALLY the greatest?

Man of Honour
Just wait until Von Smallhausen gets in here, can. open. worms. everywhere. If you really want to make it interesting suggest Sir Larry Holmes in his prime and see what Big Kev says as well. ;)

I'd say Ali, some of the best movement ever seen in a boxing ring, the ability to take a beating and for a man who didn't have huge knockout power a more than decent ability to KO his opponents. Add in the fact that arguably no-one saw Ali fight in his prime due to the Vietnam war and I think he would have won 9 times out of 10, sometimes anyone can have a bad day. :)

Associate
I personally think Tyson would win.

I just think the sport has come along way between when Ali was in his prime and when Tyson was in his prime. Just like most other sports.

I really think Ali would get a beating here. Not to say he isn't a great fighter though. Just in his time.

Soldato
yes he beat all three individually...but NOT a three-in-one package.

I really think its too hard to call. Its likely Ali would have built himself up a bit more to deal with Tyson's power, and with Ali's movement he'd probably win. It'd be close and amazing!

Associate
Ahhh the unanswerable question. Heard this discussion a few times over the years and it never gets resolved. I am a massive fan of Tyson so my heart will always go with him as i feel that at his absolute peak he was absolutely devastating, but having said that, i know that probably a massive percentage of his fights were won before his opponent entered the ring (just look at Brunos face) and this is where i think that Ali would come closer to beating him than anyone else as you just know he wouldn't be phased by Tyson at all and would go into the fight genuinely thinking he could deal with him. Having said this though, i still stick by Tyson but Ali would be a close second.

Soldato
I'm inclined to sit on the fence. If Ali could last the first 5 rounds he'd win but Tyson was so fearsome that I think a single misstake early on would hand Tyson the win.

Soldato
No.

Tyson was an instictive,brutal brawler of a boxer.He was an animal in the ring..utterly devastating.He was a born fighter who learned how to box.

Lennox was a born eater who learned how to jab.

Oh...Nearly forgot the OP :D

If Ali could survive the opening 2 rounds then I'd think he could start to take control.His boxing skills and boxing brain were far superior to Tysons.Just the small matter of surviving those early minutes though...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Wang said:
Ahhh the unanswerable question. Heard this discussion a few times over the years and it never gets resolved. I am a massive fan of Tyson so my heart will always go with him as i feel that at his absolute peak he was absolutely devastating, but having said that, i know that probably a massive percentage of his fights were won before his opponent entered the ring (just look at Brunos face) and this is where i think that Ali would come closer to beating him than anyone else as you just know he wouldn't be phased by Tyson at all and would go into the fight genuinely thinking he could deal with him. Having said this though, i still stick by Tyson but Ali would be a close second.

lol. You have no idea how many hours me and mates or guys at work have spent arguing this. I've spent hours watching both fight and always maintained Tyson have the edge with Ali an extremely close second

Associate
Tyson because he was just a beast.

Yeah Ali had the height, reach (and brain) which would even things out a bit but I really can't see how anyone could cope with Tyson's brawn and anger.

Permabanned
Ali would own Tyson in the ring.

He would beat him mentally and physically. When i say he will beat him mentally i mean that he would out-think Tyson in every way possible. When i say he would physically beat Tyson i mean he would knock him out clean. Ali had excellent movement and feet and his punches were excellent, Ali would own Tyson.

Man of Honour
hardkore said:
Not a big follower of boxing but isnt lennox lewis far better than tyson?

In the most recent fight, yes, clearly but then Tyson should have retired a long time ago. Tyson in his prime would probably have beaten Lewis but then Tyson's prime came before the age of 24, Lewis reached his prime at about 30 (rough guess). Tyson has admitted more than once that he hates boxing as well so wouldn't be anywhere near a boxing ring if he didn't have massive money troubles.

Associate
Half of Tysons means of attack in the psychological intimidation of his opponents would be useless agains Ali, leaving him with only a punchers chance - Ali would box his face off all night long with his speed and consistent power (tyson would punch himself out after a few rounds ) - Ali by TKO 9-11rd, otherwise a UD after 12 rounds imo :)

Associate
Tyson definitely if it was in the first 4 rounds. People forget how quick Tyson was! Foreman was big but not nearly as quick. Tyson could get under jabs and the brawler in him helped him get inside. He knocked a few opponents out with punches that were outside his range by the ferocity of his lunges.

Back
Top Bottom