Anyone suffer from plantar fasciitis?

Soldato
I guess we'll need to be careful not to head into medical thread territory, but I'm interested in other people's experiences. A dull ache in my left foot/heel at the end of last year, soon turned into pain while walking at the beginning of this year and I started a set of physio sessions in February. I've had 6 sessions of shockwave therapy (horrendous!), was on anti-inflammatories for two weeks (really helped!) and now just got approval from my medical insurance for another 6 standard physio sessions. To be honest, I'm getting a little downhearted. I seem to have gone backwards even though I'm doing the things my physio tells me (massage ball, variety of foot exercises, frozen bottle massage etc.). I also got an Xray and even though the hospital said I did not, my physio says it showed a calcaneal (heel bone) spur. So there's two things going on for me.

I don't really know what's next? I've read about people having steroid injections.. what else? Just getting a little dejected, am I stuck with this forever? Coming into the summer I'd really love to start doing some exercise again but I doubt that'll help. Swimming perhaps.

Any experiences to share?

Soldato
Policeman's heel?
I had it for a few months when I got my first regular London job and decided commuting in on the train/tube with lots of fast walking in nice formal shoes, would be fine.
I soon switched to Nike airs and Adidas equivalents with a padded soft impact cushioned heel area, and it went away forever. I just changed shoes at my desk. Loads did the same.
Nowadays dress code has gone casual and we just wear trainers anyway.

Soldato
OP
One weird thing you said there.

I'd trust a radiographer over a physiotherapist to read x-rays.
I agree. I don’t know why/how whoever looked at my xray missed it. The physio has showed me comparisons and it’s fairly obvious. It’s also quite obvious when he presses that particular area!
Nowadays dress code has gone casual and we just wear trainers anyway.
I sort of have the opposite. Only ever worn casual trainers for work. But I think a lot of it may have been caused (well not helped) but the fact that I have worn skate style (flat) shoes like Vans all my life. The only time I wear formal shoes is for weddings and our work Christmas party :p

Soldato
I agree. I don’t know why/how whoever looked at my xray missed it. The physio has showed me comparisons and it’s fairly obvious. It’s also quite obvious when he presses that particular area!

I sort of have the opposite. Only ever worn casual trainers for work. But I think a lot of it may have been caused (well not helped) but the fact that I have worn skate style (flat) shoes like Vans all my life. The only time I wear formal shoes is for weddings and our work Christmas party :p

You can buy shoes with memory foam cushioned soles now. It's the only time I would actually say buying Nike Airs of something with a ridiculously padded heel area would be worth the money. Skate style shoes tend to have flat and very robust (not flexy) soles, which are not forgiving on the heel.
You might be surprised the improvement with a change of shoe. You may have a kind of walk that is very heel led and impacts the heel. Ironically, running tends to hurt less as you are more forward and on your toes.

Associate
I had this last year.
I thought the shockwave treatment was excellent, felt really good for a few hours afterwards.
I had an x-ray and it said it was clear.
The physio hinted that i needed to build up all the leg muscles to help relieve the load on the tendon. I was going to the gym 3 times a week to build up every muscle in my leg.
My physio told me tendons need load and as long as you are under 3/10 pain wise i was good to keep going.

Soldato
OP
You can buy shoes with memory foam cushioned soles now. It's the only time I would actually say buying Nike Airs of something with a ridiculously padded heel area would be worth the money. Skate style shoes tend to have flat and very robust (not flexy) soles, which are not forgiving on the heel.
You might be surprised the improvement with a change of shoe. You may have a kind of walk that is very heel led and impacts the heel. Ironically, running tends to hurt less as you are more forward and on your toes.
I've worn 3/4 insoles for the last 5 years or so when I was getting foot cramp when swimming (pointing my toes brought it on). The physio (different place) noted I had flat feet and suggested arch support insoles. They're not very cushioned though so I should look at replacing them to something with a bit more padding.
The physio hinted that i needed to build up all the leg muscles to help relieve the load on the tendon.
Yes. A couple of the exercises I have are based around going up on your tiptoes which stretches the calf and plantar. It's all attached.
I only looked in as I've had a sore heel for the last week which doesn't seem to be fixing itself quickly.
Does it hurt when you get out of bed in the morning? Does it feel better if you stretch your foot backwards (toes towards shins)? That's generally how it starts...

Man of Honour

In the past on my desk we've had claims where Radiographers have missed broken necks, backs and a host of other stuff.
I think it's a case of doing things quickly in A&E.

Associate
My mum suffered with it for years - the calcaneal spur, as well. Stretching her calves religiously was one of the only things that helped relieve the pain temporarily. Steroid injections killed the pain for about a week then she was back to square one.

Went through all the same processes you have and the only thing that 'cured' the fasciitis was the plantar ligament rupturing at both ends when she was playing netball. She's still playing netball to this day with no bother with it whatsoever.

Still has the spur which doesn't really cause her much bother.

Associate
It's undiagnosed but I'm pretty sure I have a mild form of this in my left heel, it's worse in the morning when getting out of bed until I've had a chance to stretch my legs.

When I first started at the gym the treadmill caused me quite a lot of pain so I stuck to the elliptical which really helped, and slowly over time I've managed to build up the speed and duration on the treadmill.

Soldato
OP
My mum suffered with it for years - the calcaneal spur, as well. Stretching her calves religiously was one of the only things that helped relieve the pain temporarily. Steroid injections killed the pain for about a week then she was back to square one.
Man. Doesn't sound good. I really don't want to live with this for the rest of my life!

Interest about the calves though. The receptionist was advising me to get a ruler or something, oil up my calf and rub the ruler pretty aggressively up and down my calf. Said it really helped him. I know the muscle is all attached.

Associate
Does it hurt when you get out of bed in the morning? Does it feel better if you stretch your foot backwards (toes towards shins)? That's generally how it starts...
It feels bruised at the front part of the heel, and I'm hoping that's all it is and that it's taking it's time because I'm putting weight on it. It's a bit worse first thing but not much worse, and stretching doesn't do much.

Man of Honour

My Mum also kept having injections but it didn't do much good.
I have neuropathy in both feet, about 4am Monday I had to get up and go down stairs to put ice on them they were giving me that much jip.

Associate
I had this about 6 years ago, it lasted for almost 2 years. It wasn't too bad whilst on my feet but if I sat down, say at lunch for 30 minutes or so it would be agonising when I stood up.

I went to my GP who just gave me an information sheet with some exercises such as frozen water bottle roll, calf raises etc.

I ended up buying some arch support insoles for my work shoes which felt like there was an egg inside my shoes but I soon got used to them, it still took quite a while to get better but I believe the insoles & exercises helped.

Soldato
Ok so I suffered for years with this... Doing calf stretches etc.. I fixed it within a few days and its only returned once more and again fixed within a few days

All i did was walk around on tip toes (up on the balls of my feet rather than Ballet dancer) for a few days. It took the impact off my heal etc.
Awkward to do if you dont work from home granted but you can try it over a weekend see how you get on.

Soldato
I had a bit of PF last year, but it was a very definite injury from climbing and I felt it go, standing on a tiny edge just overstressed it.

Took a long time to fully recover. Lots of stretching and rolling tennis balls.

Soldato
My physio preaches foam rolling every night, and calf strength work (*heavy* calf raises, with both bent and straight knees - I use a bar with about my bodyweight minus 20%). It works for me.

Also, oddly, I took to wearing Allbirds trainers for casual wear last summer, and walking around in those absolutely destroyed my heels for some reason, despite having run and walked in minimalist trainers for years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom