Anyone tried Crossover?

Soldato
From what I have been reading it seems to be a commercial version WINE from Linux ported to the Mac and runs some (most?) Windows games on the Mac.

There is one really old game I really want to play. It is called Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance and I'm not sure if paying for Crossover is worth it or not.

Commissario
I have.

But I bought and used it in 2008.

It did what I wanted though and I'd assume it's come on a bit since then. Not sure how well it'd work emulating Windows on Apple Silicon though.

Soldato
OP
I have.

But I bought and used it in 2008.

It did what I wanted though and I'd assume it's come on a bit since then. Not sure how well it'd work emulating Windows on Apple Silicon though.
Thank you.

First problem hit: Steam doesn't let you download Windows games on the Mac. I'll look into this when I have some spare time.

Associate
I use it on my MacBook but I'm quite new to it, and bear in mind only some games run decent on it and dont expect an RTX 4090 experience on it.

You can download Steam without Mac but can then only install Mac supported games and others will say platform not compatible or something along those lines.

what you actually have to do with crossover is to search for steam within the crossover menu and let crossover install steam, as it then downloads some additional files, then search for a game on crossover and look to see what the rating is and whether it says the game runs, then you have to open Steam within crossover and download the game that way. (or I think you can search for the game within crossover, click install and then crossover automatically opens steam and installs it)

Last edited:
Associate
Yesterday I downloaded EA play using crossover and then downloaded Titanfall 2, have to say I'm surprised how well it performed was playing at 4k and apart from the stutters now and then (it will stutter every 5-10 minutes ) it feels very smooth at 120hz on high settings on an external 4k monitor. made me chuffed to try some other titles which have a 5 star rating on crossover (Titanfall has a 4 star rating) such as Witcher 3 and Star Wars squadrons

I dont think forged alliance works on crossover (according to the crossover website) as it only has a 1 star rating so won't install.

Soldato
Tried using Crossover (24 IIRC) to test out Hogwarts via Steam on my M3 Pro but despite multiple attempts I could not get past the initial warning screens.

From what I can tell this is the same scenario that plagued the game in general early in its release cycle but I have not come across it before. Tried the fixes suggested online (deleting game shader cache, re-installing etc) but nothing seemed to make any difference.

Not sure what else to try with this scenario.

Has anyone been able to get it to run successfully on their Mac?

Soldato
OP
I did some playing around and think Parallels is probably the easiest option but even that doesn't work with the game I want to play. Oh well. Not a major problem.

Associate
What games are you trying to play? Crossover is superior to Parallels when the game is supported or works as it uses a translation layer rather than having to emulate windows. to check out if a game works go onto this link:

you want the game to be at least 4 starts and above, Titanfall 2 for example works really well and metal gear solid 5 phantom pain works well as well. you also want to be running it in D3DMetal mode (with M Sync if the game supports it), however you have to keep tweaking these settings about it to see which one works best, I like using it as I take my MacBook when I travel and it's nice to have the option to play a game on a super book that hardly weighs anything and can last 2-3 hours on battery and get decent frames in games.

I hope developers start developing games for MAC (Metal API) but not sure how well it will be adopted due to most gamers just buying windows.

Back
Top Bottom