Asus ProArt X670E WiFi - Windows 11 Clean Install Issues

Associate
I got a new system with the ProArt X670E WiFi, unfortunately trying to install a clean install from USB with the latest download, part way through the install when it needs a network connection it couldn’t identify the Intel i225 v3 Gb/E card. Ended up having to download and customise it using Windows Deployment Tools and Powershell to integrate the drivers from the Asus website.

Otherwise the board is an excellent choice with unique features such as integrated 10Gb/E from Aquantia and two USB4 ports with a genuine Thunderbolt controllers. Great review from Wendell at LevelOneTechs here.

Soldato
I have used this board as well as the Proart Z790-Creator and they are very nice boards. What i do find funny/annoying is that the both boards work great with 192GB kits of ram but like most X670 and Z790 boards they are very finicky with 128gb kits.

Associate
Intel i225 chips have been an ongoing problem for several years now. Unfortunately Asus uses them for all their latest motherboards. I would have gone with the ProArt or Hero for my latest build but I didn't want to run the risk of having non-functional or temperamental wifi. If it's working for you now you should be fine.

Soldato
WOW !!! Tell me about it, I forget this everytime I re-install windows, I cant believe Microsoft haven't included the drivers in the ISO yet, but the way I get around it is I turn on WiFi, just to get to the windows desktop, install the LAN driver and then turn off WiFi off again, its no hardship, you have to do more than enough reboots whilst installing chipset drivers etc, so to just pop into the bios and enabled / disable WiFi isnt a problem, and for some strange reason, the WiFi drivers are built into the Windows ISO.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got a new system with the ProArt X670E WiFi, unfortunately trying to install a clean install from USB with the latest download, part way through the install when it needs a network connection it couldn’t identify the Intel i225 v3 Gb/E card. Ended up having to download and customise it using Windows Deployment Tools and Powershell to integrate the drivers from the Asus website.

Otherwise the board is an excellent choice with unique features such as integrated 10Gb/E from Aquantia and two USB4 ports with a genuine Thunderbolt controllers. Great review from Wendell at LevelOneTechs here.

I had the same problem:
  • On the “Oops, you’ve lost internet connection” or “Let’s connect you to a network” page, use the “Shift + F10” keyboard shortcut.
  • In Command Prompt, type the OOBE\BYPASSNRO command to bypass network requirements on Windows 11 and press Enter.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Intel i225 chips have been an ongoing problem for several years now. Unfortunately Asus uses them for all their latest motherboards. I would have gone with the ProArt or Hero for my latest build but I didn't want to run the risk of having non-functional or temperamental wifi. If it's working for you now you should be fine.

Once you get the driver loaded it’s fine, it is the i225-V3, but even the WiFi wouldn’t work out of the box. Looked in UniFi Network Manager and it was auto negotiating to 100Mb/E, tried forcing it to 1Gb/E. but that didn’t help! Otherwise 10Gb/E, Dual USB4, and proper PCI-E bifurcation.

Associate
OP
I had the same problem:
  • On the “Oops, you’ve lost internet connection” or “Let’s connect you to a network” page, use the “Shift + F10” keyboard shortcut.
  • In Command Prompt, type the OOBE\BYPASSNRO command to bypass network requirements on Windows 11 and press Enter.

Wish Google showed me that option when I looked lol

Soldato
One thing I can suggest if you come across this issue on a regular occasion. Get onto the bay and grab and old second hand pcie 1gb intel nic. Or learn how to slipstream drivers into windows image.

It’s funny as all new boards have “auto” driver installers but they need to be able to connect to the internet to download the drivers. For the network card.

Associate
I had the same problem:
Yep, I saw something about this over in the CPU thread before I got my system more than a year ago and thank goodness I did; boy where there so many teething issues installing this generation of stuff. :eek: You just never knew if it was an actual issue or something else was bugged. :(

Associate
On the newer Windows 11 install I did recently, the command 'OOBE\BYPASSNRO' wasn't working.

So I had to first input 'cd OOBE' and then input 'BYPASSNRO' for it to work.

Last edited:
Associate
I had this issue with new Asus board and had to do come command's to get to usb stick that I had Lan drivers on and install them....was odd that they were not included...

los

los

Associate

Couldn't you just run an ethernet cable to your router until you've finished installing and then download the driver?

Associate
I feel like everyone is over complicating this. On the windows install page when you're selecting your disk there is a "load drivers" option. You just use this and install as many or as few as you need. This has been a thing since Windows 2000 at least.

Associate
Couldn't you just run an ethernet cable to your router until you've finished installing and then download the driver?
This wouldn't work, as the 10g connection is precisely the one that needed the driver to work during installation. So cabling it up wouldn't do anything. I'm not sure if the 2.5g connection would work though (I might have tried it, unsure. But I read about the issue and used the workaround anyway.).

I feel like everyone is over complicating this. On the windows install page when you're selecting your disk there is a "load drivers" option. You just use this and install as many or as few as you need. This has been a thing since Windows 2000 at least.

You can't do this if it's a fresh system and install and the only location where the current drivers are at is online and you didn't know this was a thing beforehand (so you knew to get it and place it onto your installation media as well if it's a fresh downloaded one). As most ethernet connections are detected automatically in most cases. But not in this ones case.

Associate
You can't do this if it's a fresh system and install and the only location where the current drivers are at is online and you didn't know this was a thing beforehand (so you knew to get it and place it onto your installation media as well if it's a fresh downloaded one). As most ethernet connections are detected automatically in most cases. But not in this ones case.
All of the above methods require you to download the drivers from an online resource. I think we're all assuming that you have another system to use to do that. If the motherboard comes with install media you can copy the drivers from there without needing an online connection.

Man of Honour
Had this with my Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master with its 10Gb NIC - Gigabyte have a Aquantia preinstall driver you can load at the start of the install process in my case though it took me a fair bit of Googling to work that out, alternatively can usually use a USB LAN adaptor if you have one. For some reason the built in WiFi didn't want to play ball.

Which is fine I guess if you have another system to build the install media with the driver or stick the driver on another storage drive.

Doesn't look like Asus include a preinstall driver, not sure if the standard one they have works at OS setup stage or not.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have used this board as well as the Proart Z790-Creator and they are very nice boards. What i do find funny/annoying is that the both boards work great with 192GB kits of ram but like most X670 and Z790 boards they are very finicky with 128gb kits.

Yeah those 192gb Hynix kits are pretty much plug and play in my experience. I'm just annoyed they reserved the 4 PCI-E slot spacing for the Dark Hero because a single 4090FE (Let alone the larger cooler 4090s) will render your second PCI-E x16 slot pretty much useless. And of course they didn't put 10Gbe on the Dark Hero because... reasons.

Soldato
Just as a note, I did a reformat yesterday after a sketchy ASUS AM5 bios sent everything haywire on my system last week, I fought for a week trying to get it stable again after figuring out how to remove all traces of that bios, I had to back flash to about 6 pervious bioses ago, run tests and then flash to the last best one, to say the least, the instability left my windows 11 install in a bit of a mess, so a secure erase of that drive and re-install to fix everything.

But to cut a long story short, I thought about this thread and downloaded the Intel LAN driver, I didnt slip stream it into the windows install, rather I just extracted it and added it to a new folder on the USB stick containing the Windows install files.

Whilst going through setup, you come to one of the first parts where it asks you which drive you would like to install Windows too, just under that there is a load driver option, so I selected that, loaded the LAN driver and continued with the install, it worked flawlessly, no need to enter any commands to bypass network setup and no need to enable Wifi, the LAN just worked straight away.

Soldato
I had the same problem:

I had this problem when i built my Z790 Dark Hero system

What a pain to setup windows 11 these days due to this, If i didn't have another device to hand to search the internet for this fix i would have been in a real mess
I also remember it also wasn't very easy to find a fix when i googled for one

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom