Baldur's Gate 3

Soldato
I'm not into D&D or these type of games but wanted something to play as I was bored.
Ended up being one of the best games I have ever played.
Did help to read a few guides just so I knew the mechanics but after the first few hours it had me hooked.
I highly recommend checking out Larians previous game Divinity original sin 2 if you like BG3

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I am 17 hours in now according to steam. Level 4 and all the way at the bottom of the goblin camp with the plant looking people. Managed to kill two of the goblin bosses and before I got done with all that got led down here somehow :)

Taking time getting used to the gameplay, like sleeping for example. My main character is a wizard so I keep running out of powerful spells and get stuck with the weak fireball that misses a lot even though my INT is like 19 already.

Came across a creature called Bulette. I had to run away as could not deal with it. Would maybe stand a chance if I had a night sleep to restore my spells.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am 17 hours in now according to steam. Level 5 and all the way at the bottom of the goblin camp with the plant looking people. Managed to kill two of the goblin bosses and before I got done with all that got led down here somehow :)

Taking time getting used to the gameplay, like sleeping for example. My main character is a wizard so I keep running out of powerful spells and get stuck with the weak fireball that misses a lot even though my INT is like 19 already.

Came across a creature called Bulette. I had to run away as could not deal with it. Would maybe stand a chance if I had a night sleep to restore my spells.

Yea the sleeping thing can be a little confusing at the beginning. You keep wondering why you can't use your more powerful spells.

Oh another thing you might not know, you can use more than one type of spell of each level. (Without our items)

For example if you've used a level 5 fireball spell you want be able to cast another level 5 spell.

Reactions: TNA

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yea the sleeping thing can be a little confusing at the beginning. You keep wondering why you can't use your more powerful spells.

Oh another thing you might not know, you can use more than one type of spell of each level. (Without our items)

For example if you've used a level 5 fireball spell you want be able to cast another level 5 spell.

Turns out I am actually level 4. Thought it was 5. So no fireball just yet. I will definitely get it as soon as I level up though. I think with that I could easily take down that bulette.

Oh and I only just discovered Arcane Recovery. That will help a lot.

Any other tips?

Last edited:
Soldato
OK tips:

• Rogues love sneak attack - solid damage boost can if you've not re-specced anything then Astarion will hit like a train assuming he gets the drop on an enemy. Make sure he sneaks everywhere and avoid enemy vision cones (red) and you'll be able to shoot them with a bow from just outside their vision range for an auto critical hit. If everyone else is far enough away only Astarion (or any rogue) will be in combat so feel free to abuse that mechanic
  • Fighter/Barbarian: Get them in close and use as much as you can in the first round to whittle down enemies. For Lae'zel this will mean Action Surge to get a 2nd attack (4 attacks at level 5!) and with Karlach make sure you Rage and use Reckless attack everytime!
  • Keep you spellcasters back (should go without saying) and learn what your spells do in terms of direct hit vs saving throw (the enemy makes that) and if it's an Area of Effect (AoE) know what shape that makes - typically this is a Cone or Circle but sometimes a square and is slightly different from the tabletop rules.
  • In terms of targetting enemy weaknesses take advantage of the turn based combat - on your turn right click an enemy and see if they are weak to something or resist something and plan your attacks accordingly. If targetting saving throws see which of their stats is weakest and try to pick spells that target that.
  • Shadowheart will likely miss with her Firebolt due to using INT to cast it - don't waste your turn on it and instead use something like Sacred Flame or a levelled spell instead. If you feel confident go and see Withers and respec her into a different Cleric Domain as her default of Trickery is rubbish. Suggest Light or Tempest for better options.
  • Take advantage of your surroundings too - elevation matters! High ground will boost your attacks, low ground will hurt it. Pits are deadly to you and monsters - shove things if you can! Also be on the look out for explosive barrels and hoard them like your life depends on it!
  • Take some time to get the right armor/weapons on the right characters - some can't wear certain types of armor and it will cause them to fail stealth checks or not get the maximum benefit from it. There's a ton of gear in this game (far more than a normal tabletop game!) so no shortage of options!
  • Don't be afraid to Short Rest after a tough encounter or Long Rest whenever you need to - there is no penalty for doing so no matter how dire things may seem!
If you're still struggling hit me up on Steam and I'll be happy to jump in and give you a hand :)

Soldato
On your last tip, I rested a few times after getting side-tracked and when I got to the forge everyone was dead so keep that in mind. Kept that vague enough to not spoil anything I think.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OK tips:

• Rogues love sneak attack - solid damage boost can if you've not re-specced anything then Astarion will hit like a train assuming he gets the drop on an enemy. Make sure he sneaks everywhere and avoid enemy vision cones (red) and you'll be able to shoot them with a bow from just outside their vision range for an auto critical hit. If everyone else is far enough away only Astarion (or any rogue) will be in combat so feel free to abuse that mechanic
  • Fighter/Barbarian: Get them in close and use as much as you can in the first round to whittle down enemies. For Lae'zel this will mean Action Surge to get a 2nd attack (4 attacks at level 5!) and with Karlach make sure you Rage and use Reckless attack everytime!
  • Keep you spellcasters back (should go without saying) and learn what your spells do in terms of direct hit vs saving throw (the enemy makes that) and if it's an Area of Effect (AoE) know what shape that makes - typically this is a Cone or Circle but sometimes a square and is slightly different from the tabletop rules.
  • In terms of targetting enemy weaknesses take advantage of the turn based combat - on your turn right click an enemy and see if they are weak to something or resist something and plan your attacks accordingly. If targetting saving throws see which of their stats is weakest and try to pick spells that target that.
  • Shadowheart will likely miss with her Firebolt due to using INT to cast it - don't waste your turn on it and instead use something like Sacred Flame or a levelled spell instead. If you feel confident go and see Withers and respec her into a different Cleric Domain as her default of Trickery is rubbish. Suggest Light or Tempest for better options.
  • Take advantage of your surroundings too - elevation matters! High ground will boost your attacks, low ground will hurt it. Pits are deadly to you and monsters - shove things if you can! Also be on the look out for explosive barrels and hoard them like your life depends on it!
  • Take some time to get the right armor/weapons on the right characters - some can't wear certain types of armor and it will cause them to fail stealth checks or not get the maximum benefit from it. There's a ton of gear in this game (far more than a normal tabletop game!) so no shortage of options!
  • Don't be afraid to Short Rest after a tough encounter or Long Rest whenever you need to - there is no penalty for doing so no matter how dire things may seem!
If you're still struggling hit me up on Steam and I'll be happy to jump in and give you a hand :)

Awesome. Thank you!

The resting is something I could fault with the game. I heard early on if you rest too much, some quests could progress without you, so it put a it of worry when I don't understand the system and didn't rest much. It'd be better if each time you rest it should tell you x days left to do y task or something.

Associate
Been playing this lately and getting into it. I enjoy the likes of Skyrim more than top down RPGs but it's good.

The game is great and big of course, but it does a terrible job for explaining things, I had to restart the whole game after ~20 hours as I wasn't happy with my party, now on easy mode :), if you don't explore the right areas you end up missing characters completely? or maybe it's random on each play through.

Items management usually has it's draw backs - I want a button that auto loads the best items for each character. I think I'm supposed to enjoy that bit. Maybe there's a mod for that.

I just spent 2000 coins on a slightly better weapon that has extra long reach, if only the game could tell me how that improves things. I guess there's a ton of info out there but I'm not interested, I did watch most of the 1.5 hours YT video on a beginner guide, that should give you an impression on how big the game is :)

I don't think I can recommend this game to mates who are more casual gamers, who enjoy RDR2 etc.

It looks like all saved games get overwritten? Coz sometimes I want to rewind a bad decision, but I'm on quick save 899 atm and I can't only see the last 30ish :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
if you don't explore the right areas you end up missing characters completely?

That's like the beauty of it man! Do we really want another game that holds your hand and is a corridor where you can't miss any content?

My issue with the game is it took me too long to get into as the story and characters are not exactly the best. I am slowly getting into it now though and time is flying by while playing :)

Last edited:
That's like the beauty of it man! Do we really want another game that holds your hand and is a corridor where you can't mid any content?

My issue with the game is it took me too long to get into as the story and characters are not exactly the best. I am slowly getting into it now though and time is flying by while playing :)
Yeah exactly this. @keyser van someone you will find as you finish the game, you realise you've not played even half, and how can reply it, take a totally different route, and get a whole new game

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah exactly this. @keyser van someone you will find as you finish the game, you realise you've not played even half, and how can reply it, take a totally different route, and get a whole new game

That sounds awesome. Basically what I want to see in more games. But just wished they had characters and story I found more gripping.

That said I am getting into this more and more :)

Associate
The game crashed for the first time, but it lost all my binds and settings and I think that's me done :) I got to the blind faith maze trial, that was about as interesting as reloading a saved game to progress, but that's the whole game.

Last edited:
Associate
That sounds awesome. Basically what I want to see in more games. But just wished they had characters and story I found more gripping.

That said I am getting into this more and more :)
Haha, I found absolutely the opposite- I absolutely loved Shadowheart. I mean, she couldn't hit a brick with a stick for most of the game, and her healing powers became less and less relevant as the better potions turned up, but she was a party staple just because I liked loved her character and portrayal. Gale likewise, although he becomes very effective.

Back
Top Bottom