Best Bacon?

Associate
Bit of a curve ball, but anyone tried Venison bacon? Had it a few times from home kill. Does not sizzle up like pork bacon due to being a lot leaner, but i really like it. and its just something a bit different.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I find a lot of the "fancy" bacon is either spongy or rubbery :( interesting whether that one crisps up like it says.

Soldato
I find a lot of the "fancy" bacon is either spongy or rubbery :( interesting whether that one crisps up like it says.

I’m with you for the most part!

I did get given this bacon curing kit for christmas one year and it was brilliant but once I ran out of the stuff I stopped doing/using it. I don’t even know if I’ve still got the equipment still or whether it’s been binned.

Need to get back into it.

Soldato
I cook bacon on my gas BBQ, weather permitting.

It's really nice makes it smokey, and any liquid drips out.

Tesco dry cured bacon is ok, I used to get some from the butcher that was ok, but most bacon is packed with water and is horrible when fried.

I think you are better off using a grill in any case.

Soldato
I've made and smoked my own bacon a few times, I was surprised how easy it was to get good results when you follow the right method. My biggest problem is the lack of access to good pork to start with. Most butchers are selling such young pork that the belly isn't really that thick and similarly the loin.

Although my efforts were good they still weren't a patch on my old butchers best streaky which was air dried and was like leather before you started cooking without any water coming out during cooking, it was absolutely fantastic haven't found anything close in years.

Soldato
I got some bacon infused mayonnaise. It is one of the quickest things I've ever gone off of. After the first initial time I used it and got that bacon hit and kind of liked it. But basically the next time I used it I was like errgh. Still 90% of the bottle left. So it is possible for bacon to not work.

Caporegime
cured bacon from a decent butchers or make your own. we used to do our own when we had pigs. wasnt that hard. prefer sausage myself.

Associate
OP
Best bacon I've had so far is from https://www.sillfield.co.uk/ their sausages are amazing too. Ordered loads of meat from them back end of last year after seeing how they went about making their traditional cumberland sausage.
You sold me, I'll give them a go.

:confused:

Wait...there's other ways to fry bacon!?
Oven bacon is the best! I only ever do it in the oven now. It goes really tender but yet the fat is still crispy. https://www.seriouseats.com/baked-bacon-for-a-crowd-recipe

Soldato
I got some bacon infused mayonnaise. It is one of the quickest things I've ever gone off of. After the first initial time I used it and got that bacon hit and kind of liked it. But basically the next time I used it I was like errgh. Still 90% of the bottle left. So it is possible for bacon to not work.
Only 'possible'...? I'd say there are many ways for it to utterly fail.
Whoever said bacon makes everything better was probably an undercover vegan trying to bring down the system from within.
I've experienced bacon flavour vape before... It smelt like bacon crisps in the bottle, but as an actual vape it was like smoking month-old socks wrapped in unwashed armpit and soaked in automatic transmission fluid!!

Back
Top Bottom