Best centre speaker for clear vocals in movies?

Associate
Would be the obvious upgrade as would match the fronts (matching the fronts and centre is typically said to be most important), and is an upgrade from 2x 3" drivers, to 2x 6.5" drivers, and a slightly larger tweeter
This is the way.
Matched and balanced to fronts.
Then tune AV to boost vocals or volume to centre as required.

Soldato
Or another option, if you're considering upgrading your L/R to higher range, is buy the matching higher range center. ie if you have wharfedale DX center, but you are saving up for Evo 4.4, then get Evo 4C.

I did this a while ago, had lower end Kef Coda L/R, bought the higher end Kef center from Reference line, then bought the matching Kef Reference L/R higher end models.

Why buy matching matching but lower end center, if you're considering upgrading L/R (and therefore center again)

Associate
My centre speaker is a Wharfdale that came as part of a cheap 5.1 set ages ago. The vocals are really hit and miss. I know some movies do this on purpose (Nolan) but overall I just want less muffled voices and more clarity.

I'd like to hear recommendations on what you centre speaker have or if you made a similar upgrade and if you were happy or not?

Not sure if you’ve already mentioned this but how do you have your centre speaker positioned? If it’s on top of a tv unit them make sure it’s pulled to the very edge to avoid any reflections, try and avoid having it in kind of enclosed space like a shelving unit and aim it as best you can towards the listening position, some centres don’t sound great off axis.

EDIT: Just seen that’s it’s wall mounted and rear ported, you could try plugging the port as that won’t be helping with clarity if it’s close up against the wall.

Last edited:
Soldato
Very strange thread thought mine is bigger than yours stopped in 80s.

Personally I have always had trouble with the centre speaker trying to dominate the fronts.

Back
Top Bottom