• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best cpu for gaming

Man of Honour
So not in the 7800X3D then, good-o. Wonder how it will work with the future 3D chips.

AFAIK no, though the equivalent gaming (laptop) SoC and the Ryzen Z1 Extreme have 4x Zen 4, 4x Zen 4c cores IIRC.

(Should be easy enough to tell from the clock speeds under load on any CPU).

Last edited:
Soldato
AFAIK no, though the equivalent gaming (laptop) SoC and the Ryzen Z1 Extreme have 4x Zen 4, 4x Zen 4c cores IIRC.

(Should be easy enough to tell from the clock speeds under load on any CPU).

TBF, I should probably understand them properly before writing them off. Specifically, what was it about Intel's implementation of them that caused the issues.

Man of Honour
TBF, I should probably understand them properly before writing them off. Specifically, what was it about Intel's implementation of them that caused the issues.

Efficiency cores in general the problem is application software has no awareness of them which can mean application threads get allocated to the wrong core for best performance or get moved too often across cores resulting in stutter, and previous to Windows 11 there was poor handling of them by the OS. Even in 11 with its thread director it isn't perfect though I've had zero problems with it with my 14700K though I've not tried the 1-2 titles it is supposedly still bad in like Star Citizen. AMD currently relies on software level manipulation to work around the issues, Intel uses a hardware implementation which is marginally better but neither is a perfect solution which can require case by case whitelisting to get best performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Efficiency cores in general the problem is application software has no awareness of them which can mean application threads get allocated to the wrong core for best performance or get moved too often across cores resulting in stutter, and previous to Windows 11 there was poor handling of them by the OS. Even in 11 with its thread director it isn't perfect though I've had zero problems with it with my 14700K though I've not tried the 1-2 titles it is supposedly still bad in like Star Citizen. AMD currently relies on software level manipulation to work around the issues, Intel uses a hardware implementation which is marginally better but neither is a perfect solution which can require case by case whitelisting to get best performance.

Oh so that's why people were disabling the ecores for gaming when performance suffered then.
So it's kind of, but not really the same as say the 7950x3d playing games on the non 3d cores because of a similar issue? TBH that was the reason I wouldn't touch one, don't want to have to babysit a cpu.
Also I'm not sure SC is a good metric, for anything.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Oh so that's why people were disabling the ecores for gaming when performance suffered then.
So it's kind of, but not really the same as say the 7950x3d playing games on the non 3d cores because of a similar issue? TBH that was the reason I wouldn't touch one, don't want to have to babysit a cpu.
Also I'm not sure SC is a good metric, for anything.

In my experience the 7950X3D isn't as trivial to get the best out in day to day use as some make out here, though it isn't a big deal. I've actually seen no issues so far with the Ryzen Z1 Extreme (used in several gaming handhelds including the Lenovo Legion Go I have) despite having a mix of Zen 4 and Zen 4c cores - I sometimes use it connected up to an eGPU enclosure with a 3070 - biggest issue there is the limited PCI-e bandwidth over Thunderbolt/USB4.

Last edited:
Caporegime

For Star Citizen set the .exe to high priority, i've heard people say that works, @Dicehunter ???

C:\Program Files\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizen\LIVE\Bin64

Last edited:
Soldato
You don't need more than 8 cores for gaming, DX12 uses at most 8 render threads, so half an 8 core 16 thread CPU.
If that’s a DX limit, that’s just for passing data to the GPU. The game will also have worker threads. Most games run fine on 6 core chips, but an increasing number are starting to use more, some also ignore SMT threads as they can reduce performance as they have ZERO compute hardware. This will increase as Intel chips have a lot more cores, especially the low to mid-range. If AMD release more £250-300 6 cores, they are taking the **** and deserve to lose market share.

Back
Top Bottom