BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Not sure what was up but they were able to process it over the phone just now.

For anyone wondering, it was £440 for a year of Comprehensive Warranty for my X3 M40i with £100 excess

Nice.

Mine was £683 for a year of comp warranty with breakdown with £250 excess, which isn't terrible given the engine itself is quite complex! I still find it odd that BMW group purely on the car "level", ie all 3 series/x3 etc together. Your x3 m40i will have been ~300 cheaper than someone renewing on a 520i with far less complexity.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Is there a reason you are not using BMW oil ? It's cheap when buying in bulk and you know you are getting the oil that was designed for the engine. I've ran a few 6 cylinder diesels to 100k ish and none of them burnt any oil between long life servicing.
BMW don't actually produce oil, some oil brands don't make their own oil either, they've other compnies (which also sell oil under their own branding) to make it and package it for them. Same with car parts, car manufactures don't actually make their own replacement parts... Once again, its hard to keep track of what brands the car manufactures use, as it keeps changing...
Back in the day it was called "Fuchs TITAN GT1 PRO FLEX XTL 5W-30", I guess now it would be "Fuchs TITAN GT1 PRO C-3 XTL 5W-30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil". I would very much doubt that the Millers caused it (even though it's the cheap stuff, you should use the fancy Millers Oils EE Performance C3 5w-30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil). There's also a risk of counterfeits from ebay... especially on the popular brands (Castrol for example). My "go to" source is always Opie oils - they're frendly and approachable on the phone and will happily give you a recommendation as well on what's suitable. I've called them a few times over the years, once they even recommended stuff that they didn't have for my e46 gearbox and pretty much said "we don't stock this but you should buy X as it's the best for this gearbox". That earned my trust.

There's no reason to use BMW oil (BMW clearly don't make it). It's decent but usually they choose a bulk supplier for economic reasons and then massively inflate the price.
I only use Opie Oils, been using them for years, ain't worth the risk for the sake of saving a few quid. Thanks

Only reason for using this Millers oil was my mate who has a mapped 335D, does his oil changes around 4-5k and said he never had any issues over the 20k he has done using this particular oil.
Not much
££££
To be totally honest... this isn't that bad... I expect to keep this for 5 years more, so....
:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I'm waiting for the technical analysis after used oil has been sent in to a lab and compared with whatever oil BMW would put in it.

Or it could just be due to 'the salesman told me so'.
I spent hours looking at lab results comparing different oils on different engines, there's no golden recipie for all and even after all that reading I'm still confused. There's too much choice, I'm a simple man, I want 3 options: cheap, mid and expensive. :cry:

Soldato
Managed to get a 320d to test drive yesterday.

I'll start with the elephant in the room. The gearbox exhibits the same challenges I've experienced in every ZF gearbox (and torque converter) I've used/owned, namely:
  • Jerkiness at junctions/roundabouts when accelerating away while still moving (i.e. the car isn't stopped)
  • Lifeless response when accelerating from a lower speed while the gearbox is still in 8th, requiring a further stab at the accelerator to get the car to change down a gear or two before moving off.
I experienced neither of the above with the 330e. It felt considerably more electric in the way it drives and overall much more enjoyable. The only time the 330e struggles is at higher speeds when in electric only - it does have a noticeable delay to start the engine before you're able to get any more power out of it.

That being said, I was surprised by:
  • How smooth the gearbox was when changing down gear, compared to how I remember it.
  • How frequently it'll use neutral when coasting
  • How much better calibrated it is to throttle input. In my 320d and S5, in normal/comfort, the throttle pedal was very soggy and almost made the driving mode unusable (for me)

As a car, it's really really nice. The 20d engine in the G20 is peak 4 cylinder diesel.
  • The acoustic glass REALLY helps keep the diesel from being obtrusive.
  • The lack of battery weight is VERY noticeable. Much more eager to go round a bend.
  • I agree with Fox that the effortlessness of the diesel power delivery pairs really well with the ZF.
  • The interior is such a huge step up from the F30.
  • Adaptive dampers are shockingly (lol) good - car floats about on 19 inch wheels in a very uncanny way.
  • So economical and it warmed up very quickly. Managed >60 when on cruise control

The challenge I have is that as good as the gearbox is, and as well calibrated as it has become, it still irritated me when caught out.

It is clearly the better overall option for most people but I'm still leaning towards a 330e (where I didn't experience the same issues).

I did really like the power delivery for day to day driving of the 20d though. It felt very similar to the 30e. Gutted that the 30d is so rare and well out of budget.

Lots of potential issues with the 30e and the hybrid system and not sure if it's worth the risk. Though I would run a BMW warranty on it - not sure to what extent it covers the battery and degradation.

Last edited:
Associate
£20 includes the time spent taking the car into the workshop, measuring the oil level, topping it up and bringing the car back round. Which I appreciate is not a difficult job and one I could easily do myself, but it's included in the cost and isn't free to do. My point was just to highlight that isn't really as overpriced as you say.

I'm not sure on what basis the other oil is better?
This is a legitimate question. I've done the digging and found the original 800 page thread where a chemical engineer disected the data sheets of various oils and reached that conclusion based on his interpretation and recommendations. (It's not in English but I'm happy to share via pm for those looking for some google translate enabled lecturing)
I don't have the same background to explain it in detail but my best attempt aat an exec summary is that it was mainly based on analysis of data such flash point temperature, pour point temperature and percentage of mineral refined) oil contained (even the fully synthetic stuff has plenty, eg Castrol Edge Titanium has ≥25 - ≤50 % as per the table in Section 3 of their spec sheet . All said spec sheets are public and published by the oil manufacturers themselves.
For Castrol Edge (Castrol seems to have replaced Shell in 2024 as BMW supplier in Europe from what I've gathered) we have a flash point of 197 degrees, typical of an oil with a high mineral refined oil content, whilst the Fuchs has a flash point of 234 degrees as mentioned in section 9. Both 5w30 oils, which is what you should use for diesels of that vintage. Sadly the more recent spec sheets of Miller seem to be very lazy and just say >200 degrees.

I'm waiting for the technical analysis after used oil has been sent in to a lab and compared with whatever oil BMW would put in it.

Or it could just be due to 'the salesman told me so'.
Plenty lecturing available here for thouse who want some further lecturing where users compare lab analysis of their samples. (Opie also do a sampling kit for £30ish if I remember correctly for those curious, there's handy interpretation that you get sent back as well.
I am making an effort here but oh my you have a constructive discussion style. :)

I spent hours looking at lab results comparing different oils on different engines, there's no golden recipie for all and even after all that reading I'm still confused. There's too much choice, I'm a simple man, I want 3 options: cheap, mid and expensive.
:cry:
A fair point, hence after I did my original digging I go with "Fuchs as great value for money". There's some fancy Mobil 1 stuff, the usual Redline from what I remember but Castrol (which is what BMW use nowadays) is generally... mediocre (IIRC there was some 0w40w Castrol that was decent).

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,

I have just started looking at BMW SUV's as an alternative to an Audi SQ5 so wondered if any of the knowledgeable folks on this forum could please clear up a few points?
It looks like the SQ5 equivalent is probably one of the BMW X3 range, options seem to be the X3 M40d, X3 M40i and X3 M Competition?

From a quick read online I get the impression that the X3 M40 (d and i) are M badged but not quite M engined? They are above the standard X3 model but not "full on M" model, is this correct?
The X3 M Competition model costs quite a bit more and seems to be higher spec than the X3 M40 (d and i) but reportedly takes a bit more of a hit on depreciation.

Lastly, would anyone please be able to let me know of any significant face lift years where the model ranges where changed recently, in the past 4 years if any?

Thx
Bintos

Soldato
Hi,

I have just started looking at BMW SUV's as an alternative to an Audi SQ5 so wondered if any of the knowledgeable folks on this forum could please clear up a few points?
It looks like the SQ5 equivalent is probably one of the BMW X3 range, options seem to be the X3 M40d, X3 M40i and X3 M Competition?

From a quick read online I get the impression that the X3 M40 (d and i) are M badged but not quite M engined? They are above the standard X3 model but not "full on M" model, is this correct?
The X3 M Competition model costs quite a bit more and seems to be higher spec than the X3 M40 (d and i) but reportedly takes a bit more of a hit on depreciation.

Lastly, would anyone please be able to let me know of any significant face lift years where the model ranges where changed recently, in the past 4 years if any?

Thx
Bintos

X3 M40x = X3 with nice engine and some driving enhancements (LSD I think on some cars)

This is the same as an Sx from Audi. It's a quicker normal car.

SQ5/S5 has a V6 turbo (or did before diesel), the proper RS5 has suspension upgrades, LSD and a twin turbo V6. Similar on paper, very different to drive.

For most people, X3 M40x is enough. It'll be rapid and fun without the associated costs of an S series engine.

Man of Honour
  • How frequently it'll use neutral when coasting

Even better, if you get a mild hybrid it shuts the engine off completely.

• The interior is such a huge step up from the F30.

For me this was the biggest thing I liked about it. After having 5 Series since 2006 the current 3 Series was the first one I was finally happy with in terms of the interior. I really like it.

Man of Honour
The BMW X3 M40d and M40i are the direct competitors to the Audi SQ5. The X3M Competition is a level above this to which there was no equivalent Audi. It is considerably more expensive to buy and run, but offers significantly greater performance. Personally, my view is that the X3 M40d or M40i offer more than enough performance and reasonable ownership costs. If you could benefit from the extra the X3M Competition offers then you'd probably already know and wouldn't be asking.

The SQ5 is a diesel so the X3 M40d is the obvious alternative.

The facelift for the X3 was 2021 which offered a redesigned interior to make the dashboard look a bit more like the 3 Series - previous versions had a slightly older design of dashboard. Another important (or not, depending on what matters to you) change was late 2019 when the X3 gained iDrive 7 with the much better fully digital dashboard.

Soldato
Fuchs is one of the best value fully synthetic trusted ones with Millers if you want o spend some extra money. Has been my go to ever since for all my cars and those of friends (obviosuly with the correct compliance - C3 and LL04, etc). I was using Fuchs on the 330D when it wasn't using a drop in between changes.
+1 for that fuchs had used it for 8 odd years opio/pipercross - if you top it yourself you can monitor exactly how much it has used
last change did valvoline maxlife 10-40 m52 which, seems to have remediated some drops escaping.

Adaptive dampers are shockingly (lol) good - car floats about on 19 inch wheels in a very uncanny way.
.. big wheels/small-profile still more suspectible to pot-hole damage

Associate
Not anymore, they now use Shell oil, but you're correct, the use to partner with Castrol.
I know it used to be Castrol back in the day (as written on my E46 cap) and then switched to Shell for a good few years but the brief googling I've done said that at least for Europe it's recently back to Castrol as of 2024?

Soldato
Lots of potential issues with the 30e and the hybrid system and not sure if it's worth the risk. Though I would run a BMW warranty on it - not sure to what extent it covers the battery and degradation.
The range on these is pretty poor too IIRC, and the boot space really compromised. It is like the worst of all worlds - "bad" EV, "bad" petrol car.

Soldato
The range on these is pretty poor too IIRC, and the boot space really compromised. It is like the worst of all worlds - "bad" EV, "bad" petrol car.

Yeah that's what a lot of people said, but it drives really really nicely.

Averaged 77 mpg on the test drive too.

My local journeys are no more than 10 miles each way, and with a 37 mile quoted range, from memory, it should be enough to cover them.

But as mentioned, range reduction is more of an issue on hybrids, and definitely more risk of things going wrong.

Soldato
Yeah that's what a lot of people said, but it drives really really nicely.

Averaged 77 mpg on the test drive too.

My local journeys are no more than 10 miles each way, and with a 37 mile quoted range, from memory, it should be enough to cover them.

But as mentioned, range reduction is more of an issue on hybrids, and definitely more risk of things going wrong.
Yeah a colleague had one and I remember it being a nice place to be. There should be a bunch on the market given they were all sold as BIK fiddles. Iirc it is just a 320 with electric so don't let the '30' charm you.

Back
Top Bottom