BRSK

Soldato
Hi,

Anyone using these and have any feedback?

We were restricted to virgin for decent speeds but these guys plonked a pole right outside our house and I wondered what it was for, turns out they are installing in our area and the prices look good.

The router is Icotera I think, anyone know if these can be put into bypass and used with a mesh system?

Cheers

Last edited:
Associate
I got the 500mb tier installed a few days ago after jumping ship from virgin and the hub5. Speed wise I got 500/500 straight away and the latency seems to be much better than virgin was.

I was a little worried when I logged into the router and saw a CGNAT ipv4 wan address though but so far everything I've thrown at has worked. It does appear you get ipv6 addresses but strangely my windows pcs don't pick up the address but other devices like mobiles do which I would like to figure out. If you want a static ipv4 its an extra £5 a month. After googling though it seems most altnets are cgnat so it is what it is.

I was planning to replace the icotera router but tbh it hasn't given me a reason to do so unless the ipv6 and windows devices is related. I asked a few of the guys and they said you just need to power down the ONT and then swap it for your own router. No pppoe details are needed I was told but I haven't tried.

So far so good, no one else in the house noticed any difference. If you need a referral let me know :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Signed up in November as was told go live would be December, this date has now been pushed to end of March.

looking forward to having a decent upload over virgin

they used to offer static ip for free during testing stages but ssid they’d start to charge £5 per month. dont really need one and don’t think it’s worth the £5 either imo.

we have virgin media and adsl on our road (pavement dug) and no telephone poles either. I wonder how they will cable this in.

I assume the modem they supply can go straight into my pfsense Without using the icotera?

they change their signup offers monthly but clever marketing it works out about the same over the 24 months. They may up their referal from £50 to £75 now and again too.

Their Facebook page isn’t really updated much, they seem to offer free football tickets to Bradford now and again.

seem solid from what I’ve seen so far. Hopefully they maintain it.

Last edited:
Associate
Must have jinxed myself as the daughter says the new WiFi is rubbish today (1 or 2 bars in places). To be fair I put the ont and router and different spot from virgins hub but I think the virgin hub managed to give better signal.

It's a good excuse to get a unifi WiFi 6 ap at least.

Soldato
Must have jinxed myself as the daughter says the new WiFi is rubbish today (1 or 2 bars in places). To be fair I put the ont and router and different spot from virgins hub but I think the virgin hub managed to give better signal.

It's a good excuse to get a unifi WiFi 6 ap at least.
i tend not to ever use built wifi, not worth the hassle, Unifi all the way :)

Soldato
OP
Maybe I'm not understanding some of the technical stuff but I mainly need to know if I can use my existing Deco mesh with their router, I think I need to give them a call

Soldato
Maybe I'm not understanding some of the technical stuff but I mainly need to know if I can use my existing Deco mesh with their router, I think I need to give them a call
Even if it can't replace their router, Deco still offers access point mode which will work with any router. Just make sure to turn off the WiFi on the BRSK router first.

Soldato
OP
Even if it can't replace their router, Deco still offers access point mode which will work with any router. Just make sure to turn off the WiFi on the BRSK router first.

Yeah but on their website there is this vague message that states some mesh systems will work with the router when WiFi is off and some won't

I'll just ring them and if I can't get any clarification out of them it's a case of risking it

Soldato
Yeah but on their website there is this vague message that states some mesh systems will work with the router when WiFi is off and some won't

I'll just ring them and if I can't get any clarification out of them it's a case of risking it
I can't see any reason for it not to work unless the mesh system connects to the router wirelessly instead of via cable.

All the router will see is the main Deck unit connected via ethernet, it'll have no idea about the other nodes being connected together via mesh.

Soldato
OP
I can't see any reason for it not to work unless the mesh system connects to the router wirelessly instead of via cable.

All the router will see is the main Deck unit connected via ethernet, it'll have no idea about the other nodes being connected together via mesh.

I think they're potentially trying to push their own mesh system and have somehow blocked other but like you say I can't see how

Associate
Had their Betternet1000 (900/900) product installed Tuesday, switched over to my existing pfsense setup yesterday with no issues. Was told during installation that I would need to phone customer service but didn't entirely buy that at the time, and didn't need to - simply switching the WAN setup from PPPoe to DHCP (after switching connection from the modem to the ONT) took care of it.

I did add the static IP as I have some services which I expect cgnat will mess up and didn't want to have to spend time troubleshooting.

Pretty solid so far:

gqtLsLm.png

It replaces gfast with EE which I will be terminating. I am getting the full 350/50 service, but seem to be getting more and more disconnections after 18 months of it being rock solid. With the impending price increases it works out pretty much the same for the remainder for a far faster service. I was in contract until middle next year but terminating the contract was ~£330.

Soldato
BRSK now have the Betternet1000 (900/900) package for £30 per month on 24 month Contract

I signed up a while ago but not gone live yet, they defo giving Virgin a run for their money!

with £75 referral amazon voucher, it brings the effective price over 24 months to £26.87 per month.

Associate
brsk seem to have gone live at my place, since, looking around a month ago . I think I need to give them a ring for an informal chat as I live in a flat. I can't see any issues with an install, but always worth a chat. It will give an insight to customer service, too. If anyone one has information on install process with them I'd appreciate any information

Got hit with a Virgin price increase of £7 in April which I believe happened in May payment.

This brought me up to £44 a month and I only have 17mb down with m100 package with landline(dont use) and is enough for me. I just remained with them due to no real other option. My contract with Virgin ends last week in August.

If the call goes well, I mayas well pull the trigger and ditch Virgin as only way for competition to happen is for customers to move over. 13 years with Virgin, but have never had my back.

I'm finding it hard not to sign up as £30 for 900Mbps download & upload is brilliant for price. Completely sober head for this, but even having a couple seems like a no brainer.

Soldato
Another here who just got the door knock and leaflet. £30 for 900mbps would be very good.

Any reviews from users on evening performance?

I've avoided VM for years due to their capacity issues and poor performance. Though I don't game regularly these days (life for you), when I do, I expect it to perform well - no jitter, low latency etc. I've stayed with my relatively low speed 35mbps for years due to that (currently with Vodafone)

Back
Top Bottom