Built in WiFi on Motherboards

Soldato
On the subject of seperate antennas, overclockers used to sell an antenna extension kit years ago if my memory serves correctly.

They don't seem to stock anything like that anymore, though I guess SMA leads are reasonably cheap on their own.
Just checked elsewhere and found some. Great shout thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Not sure what other brands are like but the Wi-Fi on my Asus X570 Formula has been flawless, it's just Wi-Fi 6 (not E) but the link speed to my router (Netgear RAX200) with AX on 5Ghz is 2.4Gbps up and down and it has no issues maxing out my Virgin Media connection with 1,150Mbps down using the supplied wired antenna. No issues playing online games for many hours that require a constant connection like Destiny 2 or The Division 2 while downloading at full speeds at the same time and using bluetooth. I only use bluetooth headphones only and it's been just fine with that as well.

I would normally use wired ethernet but in order to max out my connection on all my devices I had to use the 1x 2.5Gbps port on my router as an internet port, so it was either be wired at 1Gbps and loose a lot of speed, or go wireless and still get my max speed which I do with pretty much the same latency, so no complains here after using solely onboard Wi-Fi on the PC for over a year.

Soldato
My Asus z790 is fine too.. Dunno exactly what wifi chip it is, but I get 100% speed and excellent latency over wifi on my 80mb internet connection from the router so I've never bothered to plug an ethernet cable in.

Edit.. It's
1 x Intel 2.5Gb Ethernet
WIFI 6E
Bluetooth

I think my routers wifi might be lower spec than that.. Wifi 5 I think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom