Canon 70-200 L IS Mk2

Soldato
So, I have a 5D Classic and lately I have been getting out a lot with it. No interest in changing body, but building up some lenses.

I currently have:
50mm f1.8
Sigma 105mm f2.8
17-40 f4
Sigma 24-105 f4 OS

Now, I'm looking at the 70-200 as its a range I liked years ago, but unsure on which one. MPB have these for a little under £900 now, and it's tempting.

The mk1 I have been told is not good enough for the money, and Mk3 isn't that much of an improvement over the mk2. I've put myself off the f4 due to wanting the additional stop of light.

So, any reason I shouldn't?

Last edited:
Soldato
So, I have a 5D Classic and lately I have been getting out a lot with it. No interest in changing body, but building up some lenses.

I currently have:
50mm f1.8
Sigma 105mm f2.8
17-40 f4
Sigma 24-105 f4 OS

Now, I'm looking at the 70-200 as its a range I liked years ago, but unsure on which one. MPB have these for a little under £900 now, and it's tempting.

The mk1 I have been told is not good enough for the money, and Mk3 isn't that much of an improvement over the mk2. I've put myself off the f4 due to wanting the additional stop of light.

What is it you're wanting to shoot with that lens? I've used mine with a 1.4 extender for sports photography so mainly used it mounted to a monopod. The 2.8 is a chunky monkey at 1.5kg so if you're using it handheld or walking a fair distance with it, it may end up being more of a burden when its combined with the weight of any other gear you're carrying.

Soldato
Its one of the best EF lenses Canon have ever made EVER.

Near on every decent Canon Pro has had one or still has one.

I think £900 should be a mint used one, an average one should be £750 - £800.

The new RF lenses are better ( yet to be seen if they last as long etc ) but they cost a silly amount.

I would also definitely change to a 5D MK 3, way better than the MK 1 and 2.

Caporegime

I currently have:
50mm f1.8
Sigma 105mm f2.8
17-40 f4
Sigma 24-105 f4 OS

You can get it way under £900.

£700

Soldato
OP
Thanks for responses.

I think I'll pick one up. Mainly for landscape photography and some sports. Weight doesn't bother me at all.

Also, I just like the 5D Classic body. It's just a hobby for me, so no need to change if I'm happy.

Associate
Thanks for responses.

I think I'll pick one up. Mainly for landscape photography and some sports. Weight doesn't bother me at all.

Also, I just like the 5D Classic body. It's just a hobby for me, so no need to change if I'm happy.
This lens is perfectly balanced on a 5D sized body. The weight disappears.

It is the lens I put on the camera and just go for a walk with whenever the hobby loses it's sparkle.

A pleasure to use

Back
Top Bottom