Changing Roles and company

Associate
Hi, could anybody tell me the benefits of working for BAE ?
I’m thinking of changing jobs, I’m 40 and not getting any younger, I don’t want to be rolling around on my back anymore on concrete floors.
I keep seeing jobs advertised at BAE and I’m seriously considering applying. The only thing thats putting me off is the pension doesn’t seem that great, where I am now the pension is brilliant and the employer contributes 17% !
By the looks BAE pension is only 6% ? That seems terrible to me unless I’m missing somthing ?
I know a lot of people don’t have a pension at all but I’ve only been contributing for about 5 years my self so need a pension !
Any advise would be great
Cheers

Caporegime
I've got no clue about working at BAE so I'll just leave a short comment re: this snippet:

The only thing thats putting me off is the pension doesn’t seem that great, where I am now the pension is brilliant and the employer contributes 17% !
By the looks BAE pension is only 6% ? That seems terrible to me unless I’m missing somthing ?

It doesn't matter if specific employee benefit X worth £Y is reduced if you're getting paid way more - you can still make pension contributions yourself - if they offered you and extra £40k a year say would that allow you to make an additional 11% in pension contributions on top of the 6% from them and still have a pay rise too? (Not clear if you're talking about matching or not too).

Basically, you just need to take into account what your current total compensation is for your role including all the benefits and then look to get a better offer than that - it shouldn't matter if they only give you 1% pension as long as they're paying you significantly more.

Associate
OP
I've got no clue about working at BAE so I'll just leave a short comment re: this snippet:

It doesn't matter if specific employee benefit X worth £Y is reduced if you're getting paid way more - you can still make pension contributions yourself - if they offered you and extra £40k a year say would that allow you to make an additional 11% in pension contributions on top of the 6% from them and still have a pay rise too? (Not clear if you're talking about matching or not too).

Basically, you just need to take into account what your current total compensation is for your role including all the benefits and then look to get a better offer than that - it shouldn't matter if they only give you 1% pension as long as they're paying you significantly more.

the pay is similar to what I get paid now unless you did shift work, I’ve never done shifts can’t comment on if I’d like it or not

Man of Honour
No one wants to do shift work, especially starting it in your 40s.

As an interesting side piece there's currently an argument going on in my Teams chat over the correct naming of rolls (baps, cobs, etc are all incorrect).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Agree with Dowie, don't just look at the headline pension contribution percentage. 17% is great but you can build a bigger pension with 3% never mind 6% if you are getting paid enough.

Associate
Hi, could anybody tell me the benefits of working for BAE ?
I’m thinking of changing jobs, I’m 40 and not getting any younger, I don’t want to be rolling around on my back anymore on concrete floors.
I keep seeing jobs advertised at BAE and I’m seriously considering applying. The only thing thats putting me off is the pension doesn’t seem that great, where I am now the pension is brilliant and the employer contributes 17% !
I know a lot of people don’t have a pension at all but I’ve only been contributing for about 5 years my self so need a pension !
Any advise would be great
Cheers

BAE digital, did not take the job, pay was very low, I got up and walked out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom