Children's bikes

Soldato
So I'm looking for a new bike for my 4-5 year old son.
Apart from the obvious Specialized Hotrock (16), are there any more options for around £200ish ?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Does it absolutely have to be new? Given how long it will last and how much it will get used and how much the value drops off on all but the fanciest bikes, I'd strongly advise you to buy second hand and just clean it up a bit. Search eBay for things that are local pickup only within 50 miles or however far you're prepared to drive. You'll pay like £30 plus petrol.

If it has to be new, then as said frog or Isla are very good bikes and hold value very well for when it's time to sell it on.

Permabanned
8 Year old sons had 2 x Islabikes and currently has a Frog. 5 year old daughter has an islabike. All been superb bikes. Fairly light for children and all appropriately sized for kids hands.

They absolutely love riding them. :)

I should really sell the old ones as as they do hold value very well for a bike, sat in the shed.........

Soldato
It is worth buying a 'proper' child's bike as opposed to an argos/tesco special as they weigh a ton, so it spoils the enjoyment if little uns have to lug them about.

I'd probably avoid suspension too as it's a lot more weight and the kids probably don't weigh enough to get the forks moving anyway!

Soldato
My son's 20" hotrock has been superb - very impressed but he's grown out of it now and it's still in decent condition so I'll sell it on.

Soldato
OP
So I bought my 4.5 year old son a Hoy Bonaly today. His first decent quality bike.

16" wheels
Alloy frame and fork
Kenda tyres
Weight as below : 6.8kg (light for a childrens bike)

A suprise for him when he gets back from nursery later :)

27185732326_ea41432551_o.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Live that paint job has a real retro feel yo it!

There are some really interesting offerings in this market at the minute with the likes of frog, Isla and evidently hoy it is certainly nice to see people buying quality instead of the cheapest they can find! We have s frog tadpole balance bike for our lad and it is fantastic!

Soldato
OP
Ah, you got it new? It looks good. You'll get a wedge when you resell it, so it's all good.

Yeah, the initial cost is high but the total ownership cost is less than if I'd have got an £80-£100 Halfords special, as I should be able to sell it for about £150. :)

Back
Top Bottom