Closing Ceremony & Olympic Inspiration

Caporegime
Thought it would be nice to have an Olympic catch all thread for the end of the games, hopefully we can gather people's opinions on the games as a whole, how they've helped with the world perception of country and how sport is going to change from now on including how it's inspired you.

Can't believe how well it's all gone, few hosts have pulled off the games so convincingly, the atmosphere and crowd support for all nations has been something else, and the volunteers have been nothing but a lesson in what this country is about (at heart), hard act for rio to follow I think!

I've loved every second of the past two weeks, we've done the nation proud IMHO. I've watched more sport than ever, enjoyed a more varied amount of sport than any time in my life, and I'm thinking of taking up rowing on the back off this games.

Looking forward to the closing ceremony it's sounding epic (no spoilers) hopefully we will get a huge fireworks display too.

One very proud Brit :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think its been absolutely brilliant!

Wonderful sport, wonderful coverage, and wonderful results for the Brits!

While I apreciate that some might think its an expensive thing to host while we are in tough financial times, I think the moral boost for the whole country outweights the finanical cost a million to one.

Some fantastic moments too. The 3 golds in the athletics in one night will be something that will enter the history books as one of the great moment in British history as a whole, not just British sport.

I have absolutely loved watching it. Much shouting at the TV. Quite a few man tears moments. And to top it all off, I'm currently browsing eBay for a mountain bike to get out there and loose this belly!

Absolutely brilliant! Congratulations to the organisers and everyone involved!

Caporegime
OP
Coverage has been the best ever, even the Americans are up in arms about what we get vs them :p

Medal wise I must admit I was getting worried during the fist 3 days, no medals, however that was unfounded, I will never forger super Saturday, was an amazing feeling seeing all that gold come in.

Clearly we've crushed the opposition in 90% of track cycling events which is always great to watch, but it's the unknowns which have been great, for example, I knew nothing about double trap but now i do.

Perhaps this will show everyone we can host the worlds largest event in style, wonder if we will get the World Cup sooner rather than later?

Soldato
It's been brilliant, to be honest I did not care about the Olympics until it started, then hype stepped in. Managed to go to a few events (Athletics, Gymnastics and Road Racing), and got loads of tickets for Paralympics.

Kudos also to the welcoming of photographers with big lens with no intimidation

Shame it's over so soon :(

Soldato
from our perspective the games have been excellent, problem is that I very much doubt a lot of other countries even had anywhere near a decent level of exposure and because of that I dont know if perceptions of the UK have changed from their point of view.

Its like Bejing - I cant recall what i watched of that but it wasnt a lot and it certainly didnt make me want to go and visit the place.

Associate
I've never enjoyed a sporting occasion as much as I have London 2012! I think we are a nation to be proud of what we have achieved with these games, not just in medals but putting on a show for the world to see.

Its inspired me to get off my ass and actually take up some sport. I had a conversation with a friend the other day how when I was young I loved participating in sport, football over the field, I was never off my Raliegh Burner and I did Tae-Kwon-do also up until the age of about 14. Then it all went downhill at the age of 16. Now at the age of 30 I regret never taking those sports further and its only now and watching the games I have brought some badminton gear which my and my friend are going to take up. Also looking at mountain bikes :)

I've made myself a promise I will go and watch something at Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games off the back of 2012

Caporegime
I've really enjoyed it, and I honestly didn't think I would at all. The organisation has been brilliant, the bbc coverage has been brilliant and our team has been brilliant. Third in the medal table is a massive achievement.

Soldato
I have loved watching it on TV. Really great coverage and it seems like 99% of the population have been captured by it all.

Most people have been buzzing about the Olympics and I reckon we have done one of the if not the best Olympic games ever.

We have given it a lot of personality that was definitely not there in Beijing.

Soldato
An amazing Olympics imo. Everything came off well in the end and coverage by the BBC has been excellent throughout (as it has been with major sporting events -even the last Olympics).

There has been one major annoyance and that is the poor placement of the burning flame throughout the games. :(

Not sure how other countries coverage of the Olympics is but I'm sure the visitors to London (and the other venues) must be praise all round. The Athletes seem to enjoy the village very much.

NZB

NZB

Associate
Not sure how other countries coverage of the Olympics is but I'm sure the visitors to London (and the other venues) must be praise all round. The Athletes seem to enjoy the village very much.

The US has to wait 6 hours for NBC to air the events so they can show them in prime time. Tonight's closing ceremony is going to be their first live event :p

Soldato
I heard the Aussies unless they have Fox? have rubbish coverage. Good decision for us to have all events on the TV and online to watch.

Considering I wasn't really fussed about the Olympics and didn't want to go*, I've watched quite a lot of it! Enjoyed the opening ceremony and a variety of sports, mainly the cycling, swimming, athletics and then some beach volleyball :p and diving.

I wonder how many people it will really inspire to take up a sport and keep with it though.

*Wish I had tried to get tickets for something now.

Soldato
I will actually probably shed a tear when they put out the Olympic flame tonight. It's been the best 16 days of sport I've ever witnessed.

God knows how I'll fill my time after today.

Soldato
Some feedback of the London games from the US Yahoo site :D

What a load of rubbish!

Great Britain doesn't like to be made fun of

We don't care if you make fun of us, did these guys see the opening ceremony? We made fun of ourselves plenty, that's what makes us strong, we can be self-critical!

I also disagree with their remarks regarding the Royal Family, obviously the US audience haven't been privy to the interviews we have had with Harry and Co. They are "normal-fans", sure they are Royals, but Kate and that bunch are pretty down to earth to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom