Cooking with Jonny69: Real pasta sauce ***WORLD EXCLUSIVE*** with pics

Soldato
Calder said:
Can't believe you just made a massive thread explaining how to put two tins of tomatoes in a pan with some finely chopped garlic, then add salt and pepper.

What's with all the complaints? He posted a thread he put some time into and it's keeping a few people entertained for a while. Suits me.
Nice going :)

Soldato
Nice one Johnny :cool: Being a student; pasta is always a good fall back when you've got nothing in, and buying dolmio is ridiculous (price) so I often make my own sauces, will give yours a try :) I agree with the garlic too :D I absolutely love the stuff and often do 3 cloves just for one serving of sauce :D Stink like a ******* the day after but who cares..

My favourite pasta sauce has to be Carbonara though, which I'm doing tonight, have you done that before?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Andelusion said:
My favourite pasta sauce has to be Carbonara though, which I'm doing tonight, have you done that before?
Yup but I tend to cheat on that and don't do the whole egg yolk thing. A real carbonara is like bacon or italian ham fried off, add the pasta to that, turn off the heat and stir in raw beaten egg yolk. The heat of the pan thickens it up and you tip it into a bowl quickly and serve topped with parmesan. Probably. I make a quick white sauce with butter, spoonful of flour and milk and add grated cheddar and cooked chopped bacon. Tastes just as good :D

Edit:

playworker said:
Good call - +1 votes for "Cooking with Jonny69: Spaghetti Carbonara"

Thankyouplease :)
Which one do you want, real or fake? :D

Soldato
Jonny69 said:
Yup but I tend to cheat on that and don't do the whole egg yolk thing. A real carbonara is like bacon or italian ham fried off, add the pasta to that, turn off the heat and stir in raw beaten egg yolk. The heat of the pan thickens it up and you tip it into a bowl quickly and serve topped with parmesan. Probably. I make a quick white sauce with butter, spoonful of flour and milk and add grated cheddar and cooked chopped bacon. Tastes just as good :D

I kinda do a mixture of both of those. I turn off the pan similarly to the first method, then chuck in my egg yolk (usually 3) some single cream and cheese, then mix it together until the egg is cooked through, chuck on some black pepper and :)

Johnny TBH I too am disappointed I was expecting a little bit more.

As stated, you missed out the onions, the herbs and puree, also sometimes a drop of red is good.

When I do a bolognaise sauce (This can then have a few ingredients added to turn it into a chili)

I chop a few onions and brown them in a frying pan
Add mince and brown.

Pour tomatoes into a saucepan
add chopped garlic
add puree
add browned mince and onions
add a jug of beef stock.
add some red wine
add some mixed herbs
a couple of bay leafs
add some salt and pepper

and leave to simmer until the sauce has reduced and thickened, (but is still moist and slightly runny)

To make a chili I add kidney beans, chili powder, some tobacco sauce and some other spicy bits I have around the kitchen (chillies etc)

Associate
I'm not sure I'd use basics tomatoes for a tomato sauce, i see what your saying about more juice, but in reality you are just getting more water. In the more expensive cans it will be thicker, but at least its not water!
As for using fresh tomatoes, I would really advise that, your sauce will end up much too sour, as canned tomatoes are nice sweet Italian tomatoes (or they should be!). However, I've had very good results with cherry tomatoes, although i tried once when they were a bit out of season... too sour again.

Obviously you can add onions, herbs, vinegar, wine, chilli... etc... but I'm sure you know all that, this was only meant to be a basic recipe.

As for the person who stopped reading when they read tinned tomatoes - ha! What exactly is wrong with them? you'll have a hard time trying to get the same flavour out of fresh ones without quite a bit of work...

Caporegime
playworker said:
Good call - +1 votes for "Cooking with Jonny69: Spaghetti Carbonara"

Thankyouplease :)

mix in a bowl single cream a raw egg and some seasoning. In a frying pan lightly fry a small amount of onion/shallot (this isn't particularly authentic but improves the flavour) with some lardons/, when fried throw in pasta, heat for a minute, pour in cream-egg mix on a gentle heat and throw in loads and loads of freshly grated parmigiano reggiano (non of that Granda Padano stuff, you need the full flavour). Heat for 1-2 minutes and the eggs will thicken the sauce and the cheese will melt.

Soldato
Nice to see a different type of post to the usual dross.

But its a good job you aren't a nutritionist, cause most table salts in the UK are pure enough at between 85 - 98% Sodium Chloride. The Rock salt thing is a bit of a con.

Soldato
Jonny69 you've done OcUK proud again! Ive made 2 of your recipes at uni and have to say, they are a damn sight more appealing than having to go through a recipe book!

Keep it up, i can see you being onto a big thing here!

Rob

PS. Maybe you should become the OcUK resident chef!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
divosuk said:
Nice to see a different type of post to the usual dross.
Dross? Oi :p

divosuk said:
But its a good job you aren't a nutritionist, cause most table salts in the UK are pure enough at between 85 - 98% Sodium Chloride. The Rock salt thing is a bit of a con.
But it's much saltier and I use a lot less.

robjf said:
Jonny69 you've done OcUK proud again! Ive made 2 of your recipes at uni and have to say, they are a damn sight more appealing than having to go through a recipe book!

Keep it up, i can see you being onto a big thing here!
My pleasure, thanks for trying them :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom