Cordless mower recommendation?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the suggestions guys - after watching a load of reviews etc I think I'm leaning towards the 36cm Greenworks 48V mower and strimmer bundle.

The only question now is what capacity batteries should I go for - there is a bundle with 2 x 24V 2ah batteries for £270 or another bundle that has 2 x 24V 4ah batteries for £295 - is the double capacity battery bundle worth the extra £25?

I assume this would pretty much double the mowing duration but at the same time I assume they will take longer to charge and will be physically larger? (and therefore heavier - thinking of the strimmer weight!)

Soldato
Thanks for all the suggestions guys - after watching a load of reviews etc I think I'm leaning towards the 36cm Greenworks 48V mower and strimmer bundle.

The only question now is what capacity batteries should I go for - there is a bundle with 2 x 24V 2ah batteries for £270 or another bundle that has 2 x 24V 4ah batteries for £295 - is the double capacity battery bundle worth the extra £25?

I assume this would pretty much double the mowing duration but at the same time I assume they will take longer to charge and will be physically larger? (and therefore heavier - thinking of the strimmer weight!)

I would argue £25 for an extra 4ah is a bargain. Check the price of an individual battery to get an idea of what the extra capacity would cost outside of the bundle, I suspect it will exceed 25 quid!

Soldato
I think i am gonna go with another petrol. My front and back lawn isnt that big but petrol just makes it a lot easier for me, particularly as they are both not that flat and often damp due to being on the back of the golf course that used to be marshland.

Seen a couple with Briggs and Stratton engines like this Hawksmoor for about £230(like this one https://www.toolstation.com/hawksmo...m_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed). Considering my current one is over 20 years old and was still working a treat until recently (And i only paid £35 for it second hand) that should do the job.

Soldato
OP
Well I went for the Greenworks bundle of mower and strimmer with 2 x 24V 4ah batteries and it's been delivered today!

It's all gone together really well and looks a decent piece if kit - my only gripe is that the charger emits a fairly loud high pitched whine while charging the batteries - is this something I should be concerned about and perhaps get replaced?

My dad has a battery powered mower and I don't remember his charger having any noise at all!?!?

Associate
Expect some noise Is normal.I use the ego range and the charger sounds like a low pitched air dryerish , basically isn't silent.

Is the charger fan assisted if not could be heat related noises

Soldato
OP
Expect some noise Is normal.I use the ego range and the charger sounds like a low pitched air dryerish , basically isn't silent.

Is the charger fan assisted if not could be heat related noises

Yeah, I've used battery chargers before but this is unusually loud! (and quite uncomfortable to be in the vicinity of!)

I appreciate I'm probably not going to be in the room while I'm charging the batteries but it does make me wonder whether the charger is faulty and potentially a fire risk!

I've contacted the retailer and annoyingly they have to replace the whole bundle rather than just the charger but I can see why I guess!

Soldato
Yeah to be fair I've used my new cordless Makita twice now and I am already totally over it.
Nothing quite like not needing to mow the lawn.

I've yet to set it up as my new turf isn't ready to be cut. However, my in-laws have had a Flymo one for over 10 years, they have not mown it manually once in all that time.
Cool things

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
There isn't anything on the market (that I've seen) which could convince me to go back to a battery powered mower. I switched back to petrol last year and never looked back and my lawns aren't exactly huge - about 800-900sqm all in I think. I'll eventually get around to getting a robotic mower for the back garden but for the foreseeable future I'll be stuck with needing to mow the front lawn myself.

Soldato
There isn't anything on the market (that I've seen) which could convince me to go back to a battery powered mower. I switched back to petrol last year and never looked back and my lawns aren't exactly huge - about 800-900sqm all in I think. I'll eventually get around to getting a robotic mower for the back garden but for the foreseeable future I'll be stuck with needing to mow the front lawn myself.
900sqm isn't huge?

Mist houses are lucky to have 100sqm these days haha

Associate
So being I have a couple of Ryobi batteries already, my current 33cm mower is pretty much on its last legs, is it worth just getting a Brushless Ryobi kit adding another battery to the pool?

Would give me a 2.5ah and 5ah battery plus another kit

covering around 125sqm

Soldato
Am still using my cordless Bosch Rotak 43 Li EgroFlex 36volt Lawn mower i bought 10 years ago back in April 2014

But beware the Bosch 36volt batteries seem to be very expensive :(
I looked at a Bosch 36volt 4AH Battery for sale at my local Bosch dealer only last Saturday for £147 :eek:

Last edited:
Caporegime
I did see this recently. Not bad for 36Cm cutting width and 2x24v batteries combined for 48v power!
Dont supposed anyone has one or a link to reviews?
I've had a Greenworks since 2018 and its been brilliant. Came with 2 40v 2ah batteries. One battery will do my modest garden 3 times easily.

No problem with wet long grass, picks up everything nicely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom