• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Could a CPU still bottleneck an RTX 4080 at 4K?

Associate
I've recently started playing No Rest For The Wicked and while I do understand that it's it's an early access title, I can't help but wonder if my Ryzen 5600X might be dampening the experience.

As the title suggests, It's a modest PC overall apart from the GPU, but as far as I'm aware it's shouldn't an issue when playing at 4K, right?!

To elaborate, with vsync off the are areas where the framerate drops to low 40's with GPU load at 50% and CPU load at 40%..

Does that seem like bottlenecking due to an unoptimised game engine?

Associate
This article was made for you!

https://www.techspot.com/review/2825-older-ryzen-cpu-fast-modern-gpu/#Benchmarks

They show that even at 4k, in the games they tested the 7800X3D was 20% faster in average frame rates, and 25% in minimums. So while the 5600 can still provide a very solid experience, depending upon the game it'll leave a decent chunk of the 4080's performance potential untapped. This obviously depends upon the games you play.

Associate
OP
This article was made for you!

https://www.techspot.com/review/2825-older-ryzen-cpu-fast-modern-gpu/#Benchmarks

They show that even at 4k, in the games they tested the 7800X3D was 20% faster in average frame rates, and 25% in minimums. So while the 5600 can still provide a very solid experience, depending upon the game it'll leave a decent chunk of the 4080's performance potential untapped. This obviously depends upon the games you play.
Mmm, I thought a 5800X3D could be a solution, but 7800X3D would mean a complete new system! :(

Associate
Mmm, I thought a 5800X3D could be a solution, but 7800X3D would mean a complete new system! :(

As JediFragger says a 5800X3D will do a great job for a lot less money (or the 5700X3D, which is within a few percentage points for a decent chunk less outlay).

The 7800X3D can be around 20% faster than the 5800X3D, but that's at 1080p, so at 4K the margin will be small.

Associate
OP
As JediFragger says a 5800X3D will do a great job for a lot less money (or the 5700X3D, which is within a few percentage points for a decent chunk less outlay).

The 7800X3D can be around 20% faster than the 5800X3D, but that's at 1080p, so at 4K the margin will be small.
I'm practically on the edge of replacing the 5600X for a 5800X3D, so hopefully it'll still tide me over for a year or two..

Associate
OP
You need to look at per-core usage, not just overall CPU usage. One or more cores may be getting maxxed.

I think the game (early access) is just badly optimised at the moment, so there's that.

Sadly, I'm playing it now and it's exactly my type of game so it's worth splurging a bit!

Associate
I think the game (early access) is just badly optimised at the moment, so there's that.

Sadly, I'm playing it now and it's exactly my type of game so it's worth splurging a bit!

Just to add, my comments were more general, as you rightly say the game isn't finished yet so in this case it could simply be lack of optimisation at this stage. But the X3D would provide a decent bump even at 4K, and be a better match for your card.

Associate
OP
Just to add, my comments were more general, as you rightly say the game isn't finished yet so in this case it could simply be lack of optimisation at this stage. But the X3D would provide a decent bump even at 4K, and be a better match for your card.
Thanks Kirby, I've always convinced myself that the 5600X would see me through until the day it doesn't! Just didn't think that day would be right now.. :(

Soldato

That comparison is skewed massively by Fortnite, where it pushed 326 frames instead of 168 frames per second.

It may not be the magic bullet you are looking for in your game. It is much more likely to a problem for games already pushing more frames in the first place, as they load the CPU more as a consequence. What are you getting for your game?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That comparison is skewed massively by Fortnite, where it pushed 326 frames instead of 168 frames per second.

It may not be the magic bullet you are looking for in your game. It is much more likely to a problem for games already pushing more frames in the first place, as they load the CPU more as a consequence. What are you getting for your game?
Honestly, I'm not looking to achieve high framerates. I literally just want to improve frame drops and minimum frames. This has never been an issue at 4k as most of the load is taken off the CPU.

No Rest For The Wicked runs on two separate enginesis simultaneously to keep inputs seperate from frame rendering, but it's still in early access so it may or may not improve as patches roll out.

Also, I am itching for a reason to tinker.. ;)

Associate
Honestly, I'm not looking to achieve high framerates. I literally just want to improve frame drops and minimum frames. This has never been an issue at 4k as most of the load is taken off the CPU.

No Rest For The Wicked runs on two separate enginesis simultaneously to keep inputs seperate from frame rendering, but it's still in early access so it may or may not improve as patches roll out.

Also, I am itching for a reason to tinker.. ;)
Frame drops/lows should definitely be quite a lot better from my experience with the X3D and the extra 2 cores will help too, at least in some games.

Associate
Personally a 5800x3d would be a massive upgrade for not a lot of money… if I didn’t want a rebuild and you were happy with your platforms features I.e USB slots, nvme ports etc then the 5800x3d is where I’d spend my money. You also get an extra 4 threads which will be nice also

Back
Top Bottom