COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Associate
I kind of disagree on that, symptoms wise while people have it seems broadly mild these days, but the potential for wider body infection IMO is having an underlying impact on people's overall health far more than a cold or under normal circumstances the flu.

I had a second dose of it a few weeks back which was very mild but I was suffering intermittent bouts of brain fog for most of this month and still feeling a lot of the time like I just want to go back to bed so probably some underlying fatigue.
Just put it down to the male menopause.

Man of Honour
I had a really short cold some weaks back and had a bit of issues with my balance at the time, felt like I was stumbling a but or unsteady on my feet
Even went as far as buying some ear drops.

not had that with a cold before but it only lasted about 5 days from start to fully recovered.

Difficult to tell what is just a cold now unless someone has specific symptoms (we had a couple of people fully lose sense of smell, not just due to congestion, with the last one which is fairly unlikely to be anything other that is in normal circulation) and/or someone is testing. I've used up the last of my test kits now and don't intend to buy any more.

Soldato
I kind of disagree on that, symptoms wise while people have it seems broadly mild these days, but the potential for wider body infection IMO is having an underlying impact on people's overall health far more than a cold or under normal circumstances the flu.

I had a second dose of it a few weeks back which was very mild but I was suffering intermittent bouts of brain fog for most of this month and still feeling a lot of the time like I just want to go back to bed so probably some underlying fatigue.

I did say for most, which is my experience with it, but equally I appreciate it can get the better of some people.

Man of Honour
I did say for most, which is my experience with it, but equally I appreciate it can get the better of some people.

Personally I think that there are underlying consequences from COVID for a lot of people even when the symptoms of a dose of it are mild, even if it manifests as an almost unnoticeable degradation in their long term vitality. I think a lot of people just aren't in tune with their body enough to notice and/or join the dots.

Associate
Personally I think that there are underlying consequences from COVID for a lot of people even when the symptoms of a dose of it are mild, even if it manifests as an almost unnoticeable degradation in their long term vitality. I think a lot of people just aren't in tune with their body enough to notice and/or join the dots.
or..there could - you know, actually be nothing wrong with them at all .....

Associate
Big news in this covid thread. Not that "AstraZeneca has admitted for the first time in court documents that its Covid vaccine can cause a "rare" side effect, in an apparent about-turn that could pave the way for a multi-million pound legal payout..." or "The chairman of the Covid Inquiry has been urged to “do the right thing” and assess the impact the pandemic had on the public’s mental health as a priority" but someone has a cold that could be hayfever.

Man of Honour
or..there could - you know, actually be nothing wrong with them at all .....

Not convinced. Amongst other things there are so many people whose motivation and energy has clearly eroded since COVID.

and assess the impact the pandemic had on the public’s mental health as a priority

Not to say lessons can't be learned or that we don't need to consider the longer term impact of it, but the impact on mental health doesn't necessarily override the severity of the situation especially in a situation where there were so many unknowns with significant known risks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not convinced. Amongst other things there are so many people whose motivation and energy has clearly eroded since COVID.

Not to say lessons can't be learned or that we don't need to consider the longer term impact of it, but the impact on mental health doesn't necessarily override the severity of the situation especially in a situation where there were so many unknowns with significant known risks.

People doing no work and getting paid to stay home eroded their motivation and energy. People have a taste for working from home now and don't like leaving the house to earn money.

Man of Honour
People doing no work and getting paid to stay home eroded their motivation and energy. People have a taste for working from home now and don't like leaving the house to earn money.

A factor no doubt - but where I work on a small number were shielding/furlough or able to work from home and seeing the same. I can't publish the data but I can see metrics at work when it comes to things like sickness and performance/productivity (and for some tasks even quality) and the difference compared to before the pandemic is stark.

Last edited:
Caporegime

I don't think it's that clear-cut. There was a significant percentage of our staff who hated WFH. Others who enjoyed it at first and during the lockdown periods, but then came to despise it because there was no separation between work and home, even with a nice home office setup. Then there are the antisocial types who would have preferred to work from home anyway.

I don't know what the split is, and no doubt more people now want a WFH or hybrid role, but it does take its toll mentally if you're not regularly talking to people throughout the day.

The time and financial savings from not having to travel in aren’t to be sniffed at but it’s not all positives. Sitting on your tod for 8 hours a day is only for the most introverted of folk.

Suspended
I don't think it's that clear-cut. There was a significant percentage of our staff who hated WFH. Others who enjoyed it at first and during the lockdown periods, but then came to despise it because there was no separation between work and home, even with a nice home office setup. Then there are the antisocial types who would have preferred to work from home anyway.

I don't know what the split is, and no doubt more people now want a WFH or hybrid role, but it does take its toll mentally if you're not regularly talking to people throughout the day.

The time and financial savings from not having to travel in aren’t to be sniffed at but it’s not all positives. Sitting on your tod for 8 hours a day is only for the most introverted of folk.

And then they are surprised when they are outsourced. I've seen it happen almost continually since covid and its accelerating fast. Google in particular is in full on outsourcing mode.

Think lots of people are going to fit the leopards ate my face soon. Strong workers can demand everything...right until the job itself goes.

Soldato

Well yeah, probably depends on how physical they are. I am a keep fitness guy and doing something physical each day. I track everything 24/7 my heart rate variability will often tell me I am ill before I know it.

I am a runner as well, so when I had covid the first time it took me out for 8 weeks. 2 weeks of proper being ill, then 6 weeks of being really fatigued.

Last edited:
Soldato

I think many people changed the way they view work in general.

The pandemic made people very aware of their mortality and gave a kind of "you've only got one life, so you might aswell live it" kind of attitude, where work is nothing more than a way to bring some money in.

So even though people returned to work, I get the impression they don't have the same enthusiasm they once did.

Man of Honour
So even though people returned to work, I get the impression they don't have the same enthusiasm they once did.

Certainly quite a bit of that - especially people who went down to working like 3 days a week, etc. just can't reconcile the work/life balance any more of pre-pandemic normals and reluctantly going along with it I find. Obviously varies quite a bit person to person though.

Soldato
In the continuing battle against covid, in the form of long covid (symptoms lasting beyond 12 weeks), another company receives a grant to look into a treatment.

BioVie Awarded up to $13.1 Million in Funding from U.S. Department of Defense to Evaluate Bezisterim (NE3107) for the Treatment of Long COVID

Commissario
I think many people changed the way they view work in general.

The pandemic made people very aware of their mortality and gave a kind of "you've only got one life, so you might aswell live it" kind of attitude, where work is nothing more than a way to bring some money in.

Brother in law went a bit like that after his accident at work.
Basically does what the job requires, but won't push himself too hard to do more than that unless it's beneficial to himself/his operators by making things easier later in the shift, basically "it's not my job to clean that mess up and it's not a risk for us, so we'll keep doing our scheduled job and not try and do that as well" (on the flip side if his machine is down with an issue he can't fix, he will try and check on other machines and do things like get the materials for the new jobs ready)..

People basically realised that in a number of jobs "working extra hard" does nothing for you personally, especially in companies that have "downsized staff" without reducing the overall work/improving how they work or will just dump more on you, and that actual time with family was in some ways more important than a minimal extra income, or I suspect in some cases, it saved people money if one of the parents was able to cut their hours permanently (I know a couple of people for whom pre school age childcare costs meant they were actually losing money by both working despite both being "professionals" and that was with the discount they got because the wife worked in the school that had the nursery).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom