Creative X-Fi suitable for many applications?

Soldato
Hi guys

Sorry for posting yet another thread on the X-Fi but the others don't seem to answer the questions I have.

Basically I am currently using a Soundblaster Live 5.1 card on a Logitech Z3 (2.1 setup), I also have Speedlink Medusa 5.1 headphones (but haven't actually got round to using them properly yet).

I will be playing games and want a better card that supports the later iterations of EAX, but the main reason I want to upgrade is:

I am going to start recording music off cassette tape and LP (possibly) and putting them onto MP3s.
Of course they are analogue and produce a noticeable hiss, I have read that the Elite Pro has noise reduction on it, apart from that there doesn't seem to be too many differences between that one and the Fatal1ty card...apart from the price.

Is the Elite Pro worth the extra cash for the features you get (if not connecting musical instruments to it)?

Will the noise reduction be present on both the Fatal1ty and Elite Pro versions?

Is the external X-Fi console a good reason to pay the extra or are the features basically on the breakout box of the Fatal1ty?

Perhaps most importantly, will the Elite Pro work on XP Home? A well known online retailer states that Elite Pro needs XP Professional, but I can't see that anywhere else.

As you can probably tell by my basic questions I am a sound novice, but when I get a new piece of equipment I do like to learn what it can do, so features that may not be important now may still have a relevance in the future.

Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom