Disabled couple snooped on and accused of fraud by the DWP

Soldato
OP
So PIP fraud is being used to attack disabled people, including using it as an excuse to go into people's bank accounts.

It's now come out from the DWP's own data that PIP fraud is statistically nearly ZERO! The main registered fraud is due to a disabled person having a change of circumstances ie if you're taken ill in hospital you're expected to drag yourself to the nearest phone to tell them of the change of circumstance. Don't be using a heart attack or stroke as an excuse for not informing them! :rolleyes: The DWP considers that fraud, even though you are still entitled to it and would immediately get it back once leaving hospital if you'd told them.

They are waiting for disabled people to trip up.

By their own records there is nearly zero fraud happening with PIP.

The other fraud is them repeatedly over paying people and then saying it's fraud because the person didn't immediately spot it and pay them back. I don't know about other people. But I'm not checking my account every day. I just assume the right money goes it. But it turns out if a person doesn't spot their mistake they are accused of fraud!

Commissario
So PIP fraud is being used to attack disabled people, including using it as an excuse to go into people's bank accounts.

It's now come out from the DWP's own data that PIP fraud is statistically nearly ZERO! The main registered fraud is due to a disabled person having a change of circumstances ie if you're taken ill in hospital you're expected to drag yourself to the nearest phone to tell them of the change of circumstance. Don't be using a heart attack or stroke as an excuse for not informing them! :rolleyes: The DWP considers that fraud, even though you are still entitled to it and would immediately get it back once leaving hospital if you'd told them.

The other fraud is them repeatedly over paying people and then saying it's fraud because the person didn't immediately spot it and pay them back. I don't know about other people. But I'm not checking my account every day. I just assume the right money goes it. But it turns out if a person doesn't spot their mistake they are accused of fraud!
The change of circumstances one is particularly nasty as IIRC unless you've officially given someone power of attorney and authorised them with the DWP to discuss your claim the DWP will often refuse to discuss it due to "GDPR", especially if you don't have all the details to hand.
And as you say when you're in hospital with a serious medical issue even if you're conscious you don't immediately think "got to to the DWP i'm here", let alone if you're incapable or unaware of what is going on.

IIRC the number you're meant to call to inform them isn't necessarily open all the time, and often has very long wait times just to make things more fun when you're ill and trying to keep them updated.

When my mother ended up being taken to the hospital when her Alzheimer's got too bad I remember it taking quite a long time to get through to the DWP on the day we legally had to inform them (we waited because there was at the time a period in which you didn't have to inform them* and we were waiting on more information from the hospital).

*IIRC 28 days because the DWP pay all disability benefits a month in arrears from memory.

Associate

They are able to go into people's accounts if they get child benefit or council tax discount. Which a lot of people don't know about. Why because it has been sold to public differently.

This is bigger than the majority of people understand.
Sleep walking into a 1984 state.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom