Disabled couple snooped on and accused of fraud by the DWP

Soldato
OP
There is supposed to be a UN hearing with the British government over it's treatment of disabled people.

The hearing is happening tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see if the government representatives turn up. So far they haven't want to engage.

Soldato
and when broken down it isn't as bad.
I posted this in another thread...

Yea I'm just not getting why the government is making such a big issue out of it, yes historically we used to have one of the lowest Economically Inactive numbers in the G7 but it's not like it's comparably high, it's just not fallen back like other G7 nations.
Between 2010 and the onset of the pandemic in early 2020, the UK consistently had one of the lowest 15-64-year-old inactivity rates among G7 economies, with only Japan recording a lower rate in late 2019 (left panel of Chart A). The initial phase of the pandemic saw inactivity rise everywhere bar Germany, before falling everywhere but the UK in 2021 and 2022. This means that since the pandemic, the 15-64-year-old inactivity rate has increased in the UK by 0.5 percentage points and by 0.3 percentage points in the US (where modest falls in inactivity in 2021 and 2022 have not offset the rise in 2020), but fallen in the other five G7 economies (as shown in the right panel of Chart A). As a result, the UK’s inactivity rate has moved above that of Canada and Germany over this period, but remains below the OECD average.
C2-A.jpg

(Source)

Basically the government, empowered by the media reporting, are making a big thing out of it. I can only assume it's because the government don't want to address the actual reason for why it's become a focus, maybe the long waiting lists for treating health conditions that keep people from working and the need to import healthy working age people (aka: higher levels of immigration).

Last edited:
Soldato
Others includes people like me, in my 50's but took early retirement, although not taking a pension yet.
The sick and disabled have always been an easy target, what with the 'scroungers' and 'layabouts' labels, and the gullible lap it up. As I often say, people should stop looking down on the less fortunate, and start looking up at the ones at the top robbing them blind.

Associate
I posted this in another thread...

Yea I'm just not getting why the government is making such a big issue out of it, yes historically we used to have one of the lowest Economically Inactive numbers in the G7 but it's not like it's comparably high, it's just not fallen back like other G7 nations.

C2-A.jpg

(Source)

Basically the government, empowered by the media reporting, are making a big thing out of it. I can only assume it's because the government don't want to address the actual reason for why it's become a focus, maybe the long waiting lists for treating health conditions that keep people from working and the need to import healthy working age people (aka: higher levels of immigration).

This is a direct quote.
A growing amount of UK aid has been spent on UK-based refugees, with spending increasing from £410 million in 2016 to £3,690 million in 2022 (rising from 3.2% of the aid budget to 29%). The Home Office was responsible for £2,382 million of this aid (should say tax payers).

Last edited:
Caporegime
From a quick look at caring and the rules, You also need to minus carers as they could be overlapping unemployed or retired or others and would definitely push up the count with repeated numbers. Also carers could be classified as working for the NHS because it saves the NHS.

Correct me if I am wrong about carers allowance. As I have zero knowledge of the working between carers and other benefits.
However, they provide service that the NHS or council should be providing. I think it should not be counted.

Now with the above information the numbers would look even lower.

Others what does that mean?

We now established it is not as bad as they say. It seems it is a blame game rather than taking responsibility for MPs running of the country.
What gets me about carers allowance is that you can’t get it if you earn over £139 a week.

Soldato
Do the boat folk count in those numbers?
When you've found that out for yourself why don't you come back and let us know.
This is a direct quote.
A growing amount of UK aid has been spent on UK-based refugees, with spending increasing from £410 million in 2016 to £3,690 million in 2022 (rising from 3.2% of the aid budget to 29%). The Home Office was responsible for £2,382 million of this aid (should say tax payers).
I direct quote from where? Because i just searched the article both myself and you posted and found no mention of the word "refugees"

Last edited:
Soldato
When you've found that out for yourself why don't you come back and let us know.

I direct quote from where? Because i just searched the article both myself and you posted and found no mention of the word "refugees"

I had a meeting about this a few weeks back. I saw some (public domain) info- similar stuff to your graphs, but uk specific, with regional breakdowns. I think data was 2000--2023.

The rise in economically inactive working age people in the last few years was stark. It rose a lot during the pandemic, and has stayed high. Sickness is a big component of that.

It's difficult to believe that, all of a sudden, uk chronic health outcomes got very bad.

Gut feeling is a lot of people got onto sickness benefits who really shouldn't have- and it is always more difficult to take away than to give.

Soldato
The rise in economically inactive working age people in the last few years was stark.
Not sure I'd describe a 0.5 percentage points increase as stark, especially when it's remains below the OECD average and the UK consistently had one of the lowest 15-64-year-old inactivity rates among G7 economies.

But sure, you go on your "gut feeling" and assume "a lot of people got onto sickness benefits who really shouldn't have" and that you find it "difficult to believe that, all of a sudden, UK chronic health outcomes got very bad." because, i guess, sick people are easy targets.

Commissario
From a quick look at caring and the rules, You also need to minus carers as they could be overlapping unemployed or retired or others and would definitely push up the count with repeated numbers. Also carers could be classified as working for the NHS because it saves the NHS.

Correct me if I am wrong about carers allowance. As I have zero knowledge of the working between carers and other benefits.
However, they provide service that the NHS or council should be providing. I think it should not be counted.

Now with the above information the numbers would look even lower.

Others what does that mean?

We now established it is not as bad as they say. It seems it is a blame game rather than taking responsibility for MPs running of the country.
A lot of carers don't get carers allowance either because they don't "qualify" (the criteria is strict and designed to say no), they don't realise they can, or they are secondary carers - you can only claim carers allowance for one person even if the person being cared for needs 24/7 265 day care.

It's worth noting that once you start actually counting carers as doing "work" you start having to worry about paying them for that "work" and all the other legal implications, such as maximum safe working hours (many are doing it 24/7), pay rates (at best it's currently at about £2 an hour), and holiday etc leave.

A single carer currently usually saves the government somewhere between 800-1600 a week if their efforts were to be done by paid third parties at commercial rates, the government relies on the fact that the carer is usually a family member who will do it mainly for love and will do it regardless of the effect it has on their own health/personal life (which can have the effect the carer then becomes ill/needs more help later in life due to the effects and stresses).

What gets me about carers allowance is that you can’t get it if you earn over £139 a week.
Yup

And IIRC it only counts overnight hours that you are actively giving care.
So it doesn't matter that you need to be available and within range to give care all night, and might get called 3 or 4 times for 15 minutes a time, meaning your sleep is extremely disturbed, it only IIRC counts that time that you are actively assisting, it also ignores the fact you can't do anything else in that time or that it ruins you for the next day and gets worse the longer it goes on.

I've said before when my mother was ill with Alzheimer's it took 3 of us to care for her*, as she needed someone available 24/7 and for most of the last 12 months that she was at home that meant someone in the same room, or at night awake in the next room listening out for her as she tried to get up without her sticks (instant fall, massive risk of a broken hip/head injury).
It utterly ruined my father's health, and did a number on my own and my brother, we've still basically got certain sounds that trigger an immediate response 7 years later because of the alarms etc we used to help monitor if she started to get out of bed at night, or was pressing a button to call for help** (before she got too bad to remember that).

*We barely managed it on a semi staggered shift system, but there were times when all 3 of us would be up at 2am trying to deal with her/clean up.

**Before we knew what it was, and when she was "only" suffering from "delirium from a water infection" we gave her a little hand bell. Neither my brother or I can relax playing certain games now because it turns out that bell is very close to a stock sound effect in RPG's and we're basically conditioned to respond to it.

Last edited:
Associate
A lot of carers don't get carers allowance either because they don't "qualify" (the criteria is strict and designed to say no), they don't realise they can, or they are secondary carers - you can only claim carers allowance for one person even if the person being cared for needs 24/7 265 day care.

It's worth noting that once you start actually counting carers as doing "work" you start having to worry about paying them for that "work" and all the other legal implications, such as maximum safe working hours (many are doing it 24/7), pay rates (at best it's currently at about £2 an hour), and holiday etc leave.

A single carer currently usually saves the government somewhere between 800-1600 a week if their efforts were to be done by paid third parties at commercial rates, the government relies on the fact that the carer is usually a family member who will do it mainly for love and will do it regardless of the effect it has on their own health/personal life (which can have the effect the carer then becomes ill/needs more help later in life due to the effects and stresses).

Yup

And IIRC it only counts overnight hours that you are actively giving care.
So it doesn't matter that you need to be available and within range to give care all night, and might get called 3 or 4 times for 15 minutes a time, meaning your sleep is extremely disturbed, it only IIRC counts that time that you are actively assisting, it also ignores the fact you can't do anything else in that time or that it ruins you for the next day and gets worse the longer it goes on.

I've said before when my mother was ill with Alzheimer's it took 3 of us to care for her*, as she needed someone available 24/7 and for most of the last 12 months that she was at home that meant someone in the same room, or at night awake in the next room listening out for her as she tried to get up without her sticks (instant fall, massive risk of a broken hip/head injury).
It utterly ruined my father's health, and did a number on my own and my brother, we've still basically got certain sounds that trigger an immediate response 7 years later because of the alarms etc we used to help monitor if she started to get out of bed at night, or was pressing a button to call for help** (before she got too bad to remember that).

*We barely managed it on a semi staggered shift system, but there were times when all 3 of us would be up at 2am trying to deal with her/clean up.

**Before we knew what it was, and when she was "only" suffering from "delirium from a water infection" we gave her a little hand bell. Neither my brother or I can relax playing certain games now because it turns out that bell is very close to a stock sound effect in RPG's and we're basically conditioned to respond to it.
This is what I mean, they save tax payers money which is not acknowledged and put into the benefits system. In my eyes it should not be classified as benefits.

That word has bad connotations for some linking it with benefits.

Last edited:
Associate

Here is the link, not hard to research the quote.

Associate
Yes.

Because it got a lot greener after '97, and it got a lot browner after '10.
Tories need to go and so do Labour. They both have ravaged our system.

I knew a very rich person, they had a few companies. Their company hired 24 hour carers, for their mother who was made a director.I was told this was tax deductable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom